HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 4:58 PM

Who owns and have there been any plans for the vacant strip along Main Street just to the West of the Downtown Centre? It would be really nice to have storefront's right up to the sidewalk to give it an urban feel.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.08626...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 5:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

That's Parcel "A"

It is part of the events centre project, and will be developed at some point.

There are no immediate plans, although low rise apartments or a small hotel with ground level retail or services is expected.

There is more pressure to develop Parcel "B" than Parcel "A". Nothing however will happen until after the events centre is complete next year........

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:42 PM

^^^ Thanks MonctonRad!! Sounds like you intimated that the city owns Parcel A then?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonDowntown View Post
^^^ Thanks MonctonRad!! Sounds like you intimated that the city owns Parcel A then?
Yes, the city owns it.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 10:07 PM

I think it's still considered downtown to the point of view of the people of the forum:

There seems to be a lot of work going on Not at the Old Moncton High School property but at properties around it. Trees are being cut down, and there where a lot of dumpsters all over the place at various properties, and it seems like crews are working full force. So it might actually start looking good in that area soon. Also I'd like to point out the lot opposite Zio's not sure how long ago it was built but there is a newer triplex that looks extremely out of place right now specially with the neighboring( Church Street property no longer having power, and the fact it's all boarded up.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 10:40 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They've unwrapped the new NBLC as part of the Sobeys Extra expansion at Main & Vaughan Harvey.

It's going to have lots of windows on both the western and southern exposure. It should be quite bright and airy.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
They've unwrapped the new NBLC as part of the Sobeys Extra expansion at Main & Vaughan Harvey.

It's going to have lots of windows on both the western and southern exposure. It should be quite bright and airy.
Now if they could just get Sobeys to go with the same style, it would look great.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2017, 11:06 PM

Whats the size difference between new nblc compared to the old one?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 12:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Whats the size difference between new nblc compared to the old one?
Don't know - it's probably about the same size.

The only reason to do this is to give Sobeys the extra room to expand their store into the Sobeys Extra format.

Also, it allows the Vaughan Harvey NBLC to update their livery to the new store model similar to the Elmwood Drive and Mountain Road (west) locations.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 3:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Moncton buys Castle Manor lawn for $222K and a downtown parking lot
City will be responsible for mowing lawn that's been assessed as high as $1.1M
By Tori Weldon, CBC News Posted: Mar 25, 2017 8:00 AM AT
Last Updated: Mar 25, 2017 8:00 AM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...swap-1.4036000

This is not "new" news. We've known that this transaction was going to happen for at least a year, but I guess that the final legal entanglements have now been dealt with, so it's all official.

You could spin this purchase in a number of different ways depending on your point of view, but I consider this money well spent. Castle Manor was truly landlocked, and without the lawn and trees in the front being preserved, the building truly would have had little value and would not now be in the process of renovation for 14 high end condos (value about $6M).

In return, the city gets a unique preserved heritage property with the ambience of a baronial estate, a public green space in the east end of the downtown core , and a potential private redevelopment of a parking lot in the downtown core of the city perhaps worth $7.5 M

So, if this all comes to pass, the city might add to it's tax base by about $14M, which over time should pay a handsome return (in property taxes) for the cost of acquiring this green space in the first place.

Win, win,win.......

Old Posted Mar 25, 2017, 7:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Here's a slightly different perspective of the refurbished NBLC on Vaughan Harvey, giving a better idea of the window coverage on the south face of the new building:

(Retail Talk & Share)

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 25, 2017 at 9:57 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:09 PM

in the T&T today they have a picture of Charlie Burell holding the eviction notice for the Humanity project. I wonder if it means the MCA building has finally sold, and they want them out, or they got to many complaints about the homeless (Since the Humanity project moved in) using private property in that area as there own personal seats, Garbage can, and even toilet in some cases.

I know for a fact that people had been calling for them(the Humanity project), the Harvest House, and Karing Kitchen to be moved out of the areas curently located, and for the homeless to be removed from those areas because of issues faced by home owners. There was also 2 rooming houses that housed homeless people during the winter months but one of them got demolished, and the other gutted by fire. People are really becoming NIMBY types more, and more.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 12:47 PM

Didn't the Fire Marshal recently state that the building wasn't safe?

Edit:
From a CBC Article in February
Building unsafe

But at a special council meeting Tuesday, fire department Chief Eric Arsenault said the 60-year-old building is unsafe.

Arsenault said fire prevention officers have been working with the groups, trying to bring the building up to a minimum standard, but that wasn't possible.

"It came to the conclusion of our fire prevention officers that the state of disrepair for the building really would have been a very expensive fix for the Humanities Project to continue being in this building."

Last edited by David_99; Mar 29, 2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Added Article

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
in the T&T today they have a picture of Charlie Burell holding the eviction notice for the Humanity project. I wonder if it means the MCA building has finally sold, and they want them out, or they got to many complaints about the homeless (Since the Humanity project moved in) using private property in that area as there own personal seats, Garbage can, and even toilet in some cases.

I know for a fact that people had been calling for them(the Humanity project), the Harvest House, and Karing Kitchen to be moved out of the areas curently located, and for the homeless to be removed from those areas because of issues faced by home owners. There was also 2 rooming houses that housed homeless people during the winter months but one of them got demolished, and the other gutted by fire. People are really becoming NIMBY types more, and more.
Charlie Burell shouldn't have anything to complain about about. He was granted free space from the MCA for a year and a half and even given the option to buy. Curl Moncton got tired of waiting and wants to sell ASAP so that they can get funding for their Essex curling location expansion.

The building is in serious disrepair and should be torn down. There are visible structural integrity issues with the cinder block walls, gutter and downspout issues causing flooding in neighbors yards, and I even visited the inside location recently where they serve food and help the needy, and that place looks like a complete fire hazard. I'm surprised they were even allowed to stay there as long as they have.

Obviously Burell did not do his due diligence before setting up shop there.
- Moving in a location not fit for use.
- Not following the rules placed by the MCA for using the facility for free.
- Not being to able to come up with $450k funding to purchase the location.
- Not knowing where the funding for $1 million+ to gut and renovate.
- Not understanding that setting up a soup kitchen smack in the middle of a residential area would cause an issue.

Yes, having the Humanity Project in my neighborhood has brought in a flow of undesirable foot traffic. Yes, some of the foot traffic has cost me money in damage to my property which has forced me to install security cameras. Yes, since the HP has set up shop, there has been an increase garbage laying around. Yes, I have caught trespassers in my backyard. And yes, the HP has increase the number of questionable characters to the area.

I applaud HP for the work they do, don't get me wrong, however, Burell should not be trying to put blame on MCA, the community or city counsel for their predicament.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 3:44 PM

^^^ Agreed. I commend Burell for the work he is doing to help the homeless because he truly is doing good things, but the guy wants to play by his own rules and it just doesn't work that way.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post

Didn't the Fire Marshal recently state that the building wasn't safe?

Edit:
From a CBC Article in February
Building unsafe

But at a special council meeting Tuesday, fire department Chief Eric Arsenault said the 60-year-old building is unsafe.

Arsenault said fire prevention officers have been working with the groups, trying to bring the building up to a minimum standard, but that wasn't possible.

"It came to the conclusion of our fire prevention officers that the state of disrepair for the building really would have been a very expensive fix for the Humanities Project to continue being in this building."
I had not seen that but am glad to know that bit of info as well. It seems to just add to the reasons the Humanity project was not really a good fit there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Charlie Burell shouldn't have anything to complain about about. He was granted free space from the MCA for a year and a half and even given the option to buy. Curl Moncton got tired of waiting and wants to sell ASAP so that they can get funding for their Essex curling location expansion.

The building is in serious disrepair and should be torn down. There are visible structural integrity issues with the cinder block walls, gutter and downspout issues causing flooding in neighbors yards, and I even visited the inside location recently where they serve food and help the needy, and that place looks like a complete fire hazard. I'm surprised they were even allowed to stay there as long as they have.

Obviously Burell did not do his due diligence before setting up shop there.
- Moving in a location not fit for use.
- Not following the rules placed by the MCA for using the facility for free.
- Not being to able to come up with $450k funding to purchase the location.
- Not knowing where the funding for $1 million+ to gut and renovate.
- Not understanding that setting up a soup kitchen smack in the middle of a residential area would cause an issue.

Yes, having the Humanity Project in my neighborhood has brought in a flow of undesirable foot traffic. Yes, some of the foot traffic has cost me money in damage to my property which has forced me to install security cameras. Yes, since the HP has set up shop, there has been an increase garbage laying around. Yes, I have caught trespassers in my backyard. And yes, the HP has increase the number of questionable characters to the area.

I applaud HP for the work they do, don't get me wrong, however, Burell should not be trying to put blame on MCA, the community or city counsel for their predicament.
I whole heatedly agree with this statement it seems Charlie had not done his due diligence, and jumped at the property with much thought behind it, and yes it seems he may be trying to pass off the blame since I had seen on Social media there was even blame placed on the Fire Marshall. It's ridiculous. People have actually been trying to come up with ideas that would work for everyone. But seems Charlie might have a 1 track mind because these are the same people who have told him before he moved into the MCA building that it was not a good Idea, and they should find a more suitable location.

But of course it's to be taken with a grain of salt.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2017, 9:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the T&T, the Arches redevelopment on St George St is set to open in May with several new tenants confirmed.

These include:

1- physiotherapy office (Keystone Physiotherapy)
2- home decor store (BHome Home Decorating)
3- bicycle shop (The Bent Spoke)

There is more space for additional retailers too. This block was mostly empty for nearly a decade, so this redevelopment is quite exciting, especially with Dolma Foods soon to reopen just a couple of blocks down the street.

https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...e=story-latest

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 1:10 PM

What is going on with that sidewalk?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 1:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Wheelchair accessibility???

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
You should have seen version 1.0. Their first attempt of the hump was clearly a pedestrian accident waiting to happen, then they excavated the whole thing and created this version 2.0.

Wheelchair access or not, how can city approve this ramp in a public sidewalk? Other businesses don't have this.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces