HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Abraj Al Bait in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Mecca Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 7:19 PM
Look up, Waaaaaay up

Just goes to show that religion and money cannot buy taste.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 2:22 AM

It kinda reminds me of one of those freakish Las Vegas attractions. Perhaps a mini version will soon be installed on the Strip...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
the building is of the purest form of architecture. it has a purpose and it serves it purpose to an extreme that few if any other purpose built buildings in history have done. to that extent this building is a complete and utter success. all that and it is the second tallest building in the world. omg, what more could you ask for. i just wish the morons would stay away from this thread and go waste someone else s time with there endless, redundant, worthless trolling. this building is obviously chalk full of greatness. one of the man made wonders of the world. yet here comes the retards who go on and on about how awful it is. they must have incredibly low self esteem and a hidden (even from themselves), sense of self worthlessness. why else would they come here and call down what is obviously one of the most important structures to be built in the past 1000 or so years. it must make them somehow feel better than they actually are. this building is just that, it is more than the empire state building or the sears tower. them towers have very little significance to most peoples lives. other than the people that work in them. this structure serves an entire movement that is global. god has endorsed this thing.
It's a hotel with a shopping mall...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
It's a hotel with a shopping mall...
Everybody who keeps comparing this to hotels (the Las Vegas Venetian and the Bellagio are probably the ones you're thinking of), perhaps a little awareness of context is in order.

The Bellagio and Venetian are a bits of architectural pastiche that in large part sample huge chunks of architectural elements from the city of Venice. In fact, though crass, oversized and somewhat "value engineered," for Vegas they are done rather well. What they do carry along with them is the reputation of Vegas and its numerous tackier and less-well-pulled-off designs, like New York New York, Luxor, Excalibur, etc.

OK, so inspired by Venice. Where did Venetian architecture come from? Give up? It itself was a pastiche of Constantinople and Moorish Spain architectural styles and influences.

So people see the big hotel in Mecca and think, "reminds me of the Venetian" in Vegas, when really, it just looks like itself, and where it comes from. Go back further guys. Think Alhambra. Think Koutoubia. Think Hagia Sofia.

I know its a monstrous, inelegant piece of real estate, but it didn't come from Vegas. Vegas came from it.

Flickr Blog Site

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 1:47 AM

what are they building on the other side...it looks to be quite massive as well.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boquillas View Post
Everybody who keeps comparing this to hotels (the Las Vegas Venetian and the Bellagio are probably the ones you're thinking of), perhaps a little awareness of context is in order.
I wasn't comparing it to a hotel, I was saying it is a hotel... in response to someone else's post I quoted.

And I think you're reading too much into the Vegas comparisons. I don't think people are comparing the actual architectural styles so much as saying both are examples of huge tacky designs.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2011, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I wasn't comparing it to a hotel, I was saying it is a hotel... in response to someone else's post I quoted.

And I think you're reading too much into the Vegas comparisons. I don't think people are comparing the actual architectural styles so much as saying both are examples of huge tacky designs.
Bwahahaha That just made my day

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 4:57 PM

ya but good God, its huge! haha

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 5:42 PM
Chicagoland Runaway

It's amusing to look at these images that include the mosque and the Abraj al-Bait complex together -- such an enormous series of buildings against the Kabba, which looks like a tiny black dot.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 12:28 PM
Guess Who's Back?

Wow, what a magnificent building!
It's been about three years since I last looked at this build.
The clock tower part is an engineers wet dream, like Big Ben on Steroids (I know technically Palace of Westminster Clock Tower).
But damn, hourly "call to prayer" that can be audible 7 miles away would drive me crazy!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 7:06 PM
Imster

Lightbulb Landmark clock tower and its surrounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
Wow, what a magnificent building!
It's been about three years since I last looked at this build.
The clock tower part is an engineers wet dream, like Big Ben on Steroids (I know technically Palace of Westminster Clock Tower).
But damn, hourly "call to prayer" that can be audible 7 miles away would drive me crazy!

First of all the call to prayer would NOT drive Muslims crazy - in fact they would love it - i hope they develop the surrounding area to compliment the building. Mecca needs more towers to compliment the pilgrims - i am sure Mecca will look stunning in the next 20-30 years!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2011, 8:53 AM
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Imster View Post
First of all the call to prayer would NOT drive Muslims crazy - in fact they would love it - i hope they develop the surrounding area to compliment the building. Mecca needs more towers to compliment the pilgrims - i am sure Mecca will look stunning in the next 20-30 years!
I have offices in Dubai, Bahrain and Qatar and 80% of my staff are Muslim.
I asked, and the general consensus is it would drive them crazy too.

There seems to be a big difference between a 5 times a day Adhan (call to prayer) from a traditional minaret, having a conurbation area of 600-800 metres away from a mosque (which any business can avoid to be near if it becomes intolerable for non Muslims) than an arena stage audio setup that announces a call to prayer during ALL daylight times, on the hour every hour (13 times a day in the summer months) from multidimensional speakers with a booming audibility to some 2,500,000 people who live and work within the 7km radius of the Mecca metro area.

I'm sure as you state the 13,000,000 pilgrims that visit Mecca each year would love it, but could become extremely tedious for any Ex Pat businesses there or for many thousands of Muslims like many people would find that barrage of white noise tantamount to noise pollution or simply a deformation of the more traditional 5 times a day call to prayer.

I, as a businessman in the region would avoid the locale in favour of Jeddah or Riyadh for this very reason, and so would many other businesses.

Mecca is a Telecoms and Transportation hub; as my industry falls into that category, it's a shame that I would feel compelled to invest elsewhere.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2011, 7:43 PM
Imster

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Tower View Post
I have offices in Dubai, Bahrain and Qatar and 80% of my staff are Muslim.
I asked, and the general consensus is it would drive them crazy too.

There seems to be a big difference between a 5 times a day Adhan (call to prayer) from a traditional minaret, having a conurbation area of 600-800 metres away from a mosque (which any business can avoid to be near if it becomes intolerable for non Muslims) than an arena stage audio setup that announces a call to prayer during ALL daylight times, on the hour every hour (13 times a day in the summer months) from multidimensional speakers with a booming audibility to some 2,500,000 people who live and work within the 7km radius of the Mecca metro area.

I'm sure as you state the 13,000,000 pilgrims that visit Mecca each year would love it, but could become extremely tedious for any Ex Pat businesses there or for many thousands of Muslims like many people would find that barrage of white noise tantamount to noise pollution or simply a deformation of the more traditional 5 times a day call to prayer.

I, as a businessman in the region would avoid the locale in favour of Jeddah or Riyadh for this very reason, and so would many other businesses.

Mecca is a Telecoms and Transportation hub; as my industry falls into that category, it's a shame that I would feel compelled to invest elsewhere.

Mecca & Medina are only places were non-Muslims are not permitted. I think peopel going there usually expect this - while few may moan. Never the less - Mecca needs to some awesome structures in its skyline - the demand is there and the economics makes sense - after all Jedda is constructing the Next Worlds tallest building at over 1000 meters - truly awesome!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 2:21 AM
The Hero we deserve

its a really beautiful building and ill go see it wen im doing hajj

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:12 AM

------وتم نقلها للفائدة Roukaya19 شكراً لمضيف الصور

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:12 AM

-----
Old September 20th, 2011,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roukaya19 View Post
---
Quote:
Makkah Clock - Domes

--
Quote:
---
Quote:
---
Quote:
Makkah Clock - Corners design

Center piece

---
Quote:
--
Quote:
From the Tower by Lou Kofiah

21 September 2011

Sans titre de par Lou Kofiah, sur Flickr

IMG_3757 par Lou Kofiah, sur Flickr

IMG_3720 par Lou Kofiah, sur Flickr

IMG_3760_mod par Lou Kofiah, sur Flickr

IMG_3759 par Lou Kofiah, sur Flickr

IMG_3721 par Lou Kofiah, sur Flickr

IMG_3731 par Lou Kofiah, sur Flickr

IMG_3728 par Lou Kofiah, sur Flickr
--
Quote:
Abraj al Bait and Holy Mosque Expansion

صوره لاكبر توسعه للحرم المكي http://www.flickr.com/photos/5784100...n/photostream/

صوره لاكبر توسعه للحرم المكي 2 http://www.flickr.com/photos/5784100...n/photostream/
---
Quote:

--
Quote:
Makkah Clock Motor

---

Last edited by thewolf434; Nov 14, 2011 at 11:50 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:13 AM

------
Quote:

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:15 AM

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:16 AM

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by roukaya19 View Post
^^ aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Video Link

Video Link
--
Quote:
Originally Posted by roukaya19 View Post
premier composite technologies

''the making of''

to be continued...
--

Last edited by thewolf434; Nov 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:17 AM

----
Quote:
Dialogue in the sky between the Makkah Clock and the Moon (SPA) 11.12.1432 H

حوار في كبد السماء بين ساعة مكة المكرمة والقمر (واس) 11-12-1432هـ

حوار في كبد السماء بين ساعة مكة المكرمة والقمر (واس) 11-12-1432هـ

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive