HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 2:02 AM
TL;DR

Interesting. I hope Schaumburg pushes for a decent site plan. The Meacham overpass has always been envisioned as a stop on a future I-90 transit line; the convention center to the northeast and the office park to the southeast were designed with just that possibility in mind. Initially it will be bus transit, maybe with an upgrade to rail later on.

The new I-90 project also includes a ramp at Meacham, which it did not have previously.

Last edited by ardecila; Sep 13, 2013 at 2:13 AM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 4:29 AM

A while ago someone was teasing the idea of a secret highrise building project that cantilevers over a landmark building...

I think it was about this. http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...lton-hotel.php

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
A while ago someone was teasing the idea of a secret highrise building project that cantilevers over a landmark building...

I think it was about this. http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...lton-hotel.php
Before that we have already seen renders for that parcel.(Can't remember if it cantilevered though) Originally there was discussion of Virgin building something new there instead of renovating where they are now.

edit: couldn't find the full render but here is the entrance view and a Kamin article about it:

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 1:38 PM

Quote:

That person also stated that the height of that secret high rise could potentially be between 55 to 70 stories so highly doubt this s it. The proposal on this site is only 27 stories.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 2:33 PM

Quote:

Nope, good guess though. No one is going to guess the site I'm talking about because, well, it's hardly even a site.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 3:17 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Nope, good guess though. No one is going to guess the site I'm talking about because, well, it's hardly even a site.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 8:10 PM

It's not a site... is it a state of mind?

That lot is so narrow, it makes me curious what the tallest/narrowest building might be. That is, tallest building with the smallest footprint/silhouette.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2013, 3:02 PM

Quote:
That lot is so narrow, it makes me curious what the tallest/narrowest building might be. That is, tallest building with the smallest footprint/silhouette.
SHoP just released images of a Manhattan highrise on 57th street that has 43 feet of frontage and is 1200-1300ft~ tall... pretty tough to beat a 30+ slenderness ratio with a fully occupy-able structure.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 4:35 PM

Hmm, 3 building permits with a combined estimated cost of $46,780,000 were issued on Friday for Navy Pier. Over $22 Mil of that is improvements to the South Dock and Headhouse Plaza (and landscaping). Is this part of the new plans we saw recently?

Also I was up near Halsted Flats yesterday. Didn't take a picture for some reason, but it looks great. It looked like 75% of the exterior glass had been installed, but I didn't see the entire building. Funny how it is 15 stories but doesn't appear to be very tall. I think it's because it looks a little meatier than some other buildings. I like the look of it though. Also the new Senior LGBT housing on Halsted just north of Addison has its first floor mostly done (framing).

Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 11:17 PM

Grand / Mich

Work continues on the new upper level walkway on Grand E of Michigan

Form meets electrical vault ;-)

The Burger joint unsure on it's windows.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2013, 11:41 PM

The trib has quite a nice gallery up for DePaul's new theater building

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 12:31 AM

So... this happened.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 1:05 AM
The City

^ The developer clearly isn't bribing the right people

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
So... this happened.
Yep -- saw that earlier. Makes me embarrassed for the alderman, the neighborhood and the city. For all the complaints of rising crime, they had a chance to establish increased foot traffic and 24-hour security. And they blew it. Not to mention the opportunity to introduce some interesting architecture to the street.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
So... this happened.
What an embarrassment. What are the chances if it doesn't work out in Boystown that it could work out in say...Andersonville? I know the average tourist may not be aware of Andersonville, but that neighborhood is quite charming. I wonder if its residents would oppose it (afterall, Andersonville Guesthouse is expanding as we speak).

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 3:15 AM
TL;DR

It would probably face the same opposition as in Boystown, but Osterman or O'Connor might allow it. The downside is that Andersonville is even less transit-accessible than Boystown: further from the Loop, not near any rail stations, and only local bus service.

Remember that Tunney is already in major hot water with his constituents over Wrigley Field, even though Emanuel is really behind that one - he won't be approving any more controversial projects for at least a few years. I wouldn't hold out hope for anything exciting with that Clark/Belmont proposal at the Dunkin Donuts site.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 4:08 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I wouldn't hold out hope for anything exciting with that Clark/Belmont proposal at the Dunkin Donuts site.
^ To be honest, what can be built as-of-right there is basically exciting enough for me. Make it kind of modern and funky, and there you go. I certainly don't think we need tall buildings all over town. I am all about midrise density

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It would probably face the same opposition as in Boystown, but Osterman or O'Connor might allow it. The downside is that Andersonville is even less transit-accessible than Boystown: further from the Loop, not near any rail stations, and only local bus service.

Remember that Tunney is already in major hot water with his constituents over Wrigley Field, even though Emanuel is really behind that one - he won't be approving any more controversial projects for at least a few years. I wouldn't hold out hope for anything exciting with that Clark/Belmont proposal at the Dunkin Donuts site.
I'm not sure why you would say Andersonville is not near transit. There are very accessible Red Line stops at Berwyn and Bryn Mawr.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I'm not sure why you would say Andersonville is not near transit. There are very accessible Red Line stops at Berwyn and Bryn Mawr.
Maybe accessible but not quite convenient. Went to a pizza place up there and I felt I had just crossed the threshold where it would be inconvenient to commute. I think a brisk walk took maybe 15 minutes from the red line. Maybe that's not bad. But in the winter walking to...and possibly waiting a few moments for the train, I'd opt for the bus.

My general rule of thumb is if it takes more than 20 minutes at a reasonable pace to reach a rapid transit station, it's not within the transit corridor. I'm sure there's actually some scientific measurement, but from a human perspective and I guess personal opinion Andersonville may just be a little out of the way from the Red Line.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 6:17 PM

In other news, a developer plans on building a 78 unit apartment building near Grand & Western, and then 24 condos near the same intersection as well. It would also add 2000 sq ft of commercial space to the condo building(s) and over 16,000 sq ft of commercial space in the apartment building.

Looks like part of his selling point is the Metra and people who work in the Loop/West Loop who want to live that way and have an easy commute.

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...s-in-west-town

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development