HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 6:34 PM

^ Great report, thanks. I imagine the promise of retail and school is a key draw to the demographic thinking of starting a family in the next few years.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 8:00 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

That was a full report

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 8:25 PM

^ welcome to the forum. what position do you hold with Magellan?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 8:30 PM

That's a great report, thanks!

In your visit to the sales center did you see a model or drawings or anything indicated the pedway configuration? The way I see it, the Aqua site could provide a much needed link between the two largest sections of the pedway. If they go ahead and do that, the pedway system all of the sudden becomes pretty much a complete system.

On the other hand, it also looks like the Mandarin Oriental site offers the same opportunity, and I'm sure that one of the two sites will finally provide the link!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 9:09 PM

Thanks for the great report. I look forward to your updates as this project moves forward.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 9:59 PM

the magellan website has Aqua at 877 feet, but maybe its wrong..?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 1:41 AM

After visiting the sales center most recently, I decided to descend into the pedway and fully explore it end to end. Following it in the direction of Aqua, I found myself at some point close to the center of the office building at 303 East Wacker, one building west of the SwissOtel. There was a gate (easily seen through) indicating if I were able to proceed, I'd be entering into the base of the SwissOtel convention facilities. I've never been in that building, but I'd imagine it is somewhat similar to the facilities at the Hyatt. Given that it was closed up I would suspect they don't have enough foot traffic to keep it open on the weekends.

From this point it becomes pure conjecture, but some obvious lines of logic do follow quickly. First in answer to Brian's question, I did ask about anything they had on the pedway connection and they reported they had nothing. I was actually surprised in that it must be difficult to market commercial space without knowing how that space was linked to one of the largest completely in-door self-contained commercial gateways in the area.

That aside, advertising that Aqua would be linked to the pedway would provide a false impression if there were not some assurance that the pedway would provide open and unobstructed access through the SwissOtel and points west. As it stands, I've never been able to reach the SwissOtel from the pedway on a weekend which would severely hamper value to connecting the pedway via the SwissOtel.

All that in consideration, there is always the possibility (although a much more expensive one) that an alternate connection might be made beneath Columbus that provides direct access to Aqua. In fact, this may make more sense, but in that the facilities at the SwissOtel are being extended into Aqua, the regular promotion by Aqua representatives of the pedway connection may be little more than acknowledging that Strategic is linking their two investments. I will inquire with someone higher up and see what can be known.

Thank you for all the positive feedback. I’ve been a quiet reader here for nearly two years.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 3:05 AM

You appear confused about where the Aqua site is.
It fronts Columbus; therefore, in order to connect to the pedway it is mostly irrelevant what happens with Swissotel. Aqua, a portion of which is being bought by Strategic, is supposed to be linked to Strategic's Fairmont, which presumably would be by a new pedway connection along the underside of Upper Columbus. And if that connection were not built, then the next logical place to connect Aqua to the pedway would be directly to 303, not to Swissotel. The latter would mean walking east to go west.
Please explain what you mean by "the facilities at the SwissOtel are being extended into Aqua". If they are sharing facilities, then that finally would be a reason to add a connection to Swissotel, but that would likely be in addition to, not instead of, the cross-Columbus connection. In any event I would think Aqua would be sharing facilities with Fairmont, not Swissotel.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
the magellan website has Aqua at 877 feet, but maybe its wrong..?
It could be 877 ft from its base, but 815 from its street entrace. This would make sense since the 3-level Illinois Center street level is about 50 ft above "ground" level. i.e. the short of it is, it will appear as an 877 footer on the skyline, just like 340OTP appears like more than a mere 670ft on the skyline

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 3:24 AM

so it only counts as 815' but its really 877', i was wondering how they had so many floors for 815'.. but thts kinda dumb...

Last edited by BorisMolotov; Jan 2, 2007 at 3:53 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 3:46 AM

Yes, the information presented to me was confusing. I was under the belief that part of the hotel facilities in Aqua and the Swissotel facilities would be linked more substantially than a tunnel, with new facilities under the Aqua pedestal. Looking at the diagrams, this doesn't make a lot of sense. I won't hesitate to say that I'm confused about what they are saying is going on with this point.

That said, yes, you'd pretty much have to walk east to the Swissotel before you could walk west down the pedway that currently exists. This has bothered me since I've started investigating it. Rather than conjecture about it, I have asked a Magellan official and am awaiting reply. I'll post as soon as I get something. It would be great to know more about exactly how the residential, hotel, retail and pedway are all going to be linked together or if all this talk about a pedway link is really something far more disappointing than we would hope for. Sorry for the misleading facilities info above.

All that said, I have just discovered something very interesting on their LSE map. It seems to be on the website too and I can't say how long this information has been out there since I never noticed it before. But, there are in fact five walkways which appear to be two pedway links under Columbus and three more to the north. It seems all five are pedway links given that the two across Columbus don't fall where the current sidewalks exist and run right across the drawing of the medians. One runs from Aqua to the West while the other runs from the south end of the pedastal towards the Fairmont. The other three are very short and almost not noticable. One exists at both the NE and NW corners of the Aqua building supposedly connecting the Swissotel and the 303 building. Yet a third runs from just off the NE corner of the pedestal to the north. Given the confusion about the Swissotel, I'd have to strike my understanding of that connection until fact is handed down from the developer. The discovery of these apparent pedway links is nontheless facinating and a good point of debate from this point. Here's a quick link to their online map which shows the five supposed "pedway" extensions.

http://www.lakeshoreeast.com/nhood_maps_site.html

Last edited by BlueStar; Jan 2, 2007 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 4:21 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisMolotov View Post
so it only counts as 815' but its really 877', i was wondering how they had so many floors for 815'.. but thts kinda dumb...
VivaL is right, but the irony here is that the floor count also would be higher. I think when you factor in parking, this one has nearly 90, so this info doesn't help explain the "so many floors" issue.

Similarly, if 340 were built in River North, it would have been recorded as a 70-story. But it would also have an ugly parking podium!

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 8:09 AM

^ Those would be crosswalks. There would be no reason for an orgy of five pedway links where two would do. In addition, I think the pedway doesn't extend to the eastern end of Park Millennium in the first place.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
You appear confused about where the Aqua site is.
It fronts Columbus; therefore, in order to connect to the pedway it is mostly irrelevant what happens with Swissotel. Aqua, a portion of which is being bought by Strategic, is supposed to be linked to Strategic's Fairmont, which presumably would be by a new pedway connection along the underside of Upper Columbus. And if that connection were not built, then the next logical place to connect Aqua to the pedway would be directly to 303, not to Swissotel. The latter would mean walking east to go west.
Please explain what you mean by "the facilities at the SwissOtel are being extended into Aqua". If they are sharing facilities, then that finally would be a reason to add a connection to Swissotel, but that would likely be in addition to, not instead of, the cross-Columbus connection. In any event I would think Aqua would be sharing facilities with Fairmont, not Swissotel.
The Aqua site is one of the two empty sites where the main pedway system tunnels come closest to being connected to the Illinois Center portion. In effect, it is possible for them to connect to the the Fairmont and the Swissotel and achieve for the first time total pedway integration.

Chicago gives out FAR bonuses for extending the pedway, and it is possible that a larger than normal bonus was given to achieve total pedway integration. If I were in charge, I would do my best to take advantage of this opportunity.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
It could be 877 ft from its base, but 815 from its street entrace. This would make sense since the 3-level Illinois Center street level is about 50 ft above "ground" level. i.e. the short of it is, it will appear as an 877 footer on the skyline, just like 340OTP appears like more than a mere 670ft on the skyline
Its a pity that buildings are height penalized because they are built along artificially raised street/sidewalk levels. Two buildings could be practically next to each other, lested as the same official height, and one would actually be fifty feet taller than the other depending on the level of its main entrance! I wonder if AON with its below level plaza is measured from something close to ground level even though it fronts on an elevated street?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 4:35 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

That is rather annoying and ironic considering we can so easily discount below street level floors, but have no problems counting useless spires.

Looking at that interactive map, there are certainly a lor more developments planned for LSE than I had originally anticipated. Hopefully they are more in line with Aqua's architectural agressiveness, even though that most buildings on the site are fairly glassy. Have we had any indication about how tall these outlyers are going to be? I cant imagine they are going to be very tall save perhaps the one behind BCBS, which would be a shame because it might seal most views of Aqua from Grant/Milennium Parks.

Last edited by Alliance; Jan 2, 2007 at 4:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
I think the 877 number is correct, as measured from the level of the LSE central park. Look at the LSE map that Bluestar posted. They list 340OTP as a 720 ft building, 50 feet more than official, and what everyone says it really is.
But the other numbers aren't inflated. The Tides is shown as it's official 498', since it's down at park level.

So when everything's built, Aqua will be 380 ft taller than the Tides next door.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2007, 10:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Have we had any indication about how tall these outlyers are going to be?
Some people were talking a while back and I heard some rumors of a possible super tall and accompanying 800ish or two in those sites along wacker/the river, to take advantage of the garunteed views the river corridor creates. Granted that is just rumors, but I would be suprised if Aqua ends up being the tallest building in LSE. Another thing I read a while ago is that the "aqua 2" tower, or that one between Aqua and BCBS will be taller than Aqua, I believe I heard near 900 feet. Again, that's not a solid fact, but I think that has more credibility than the supertall along the river does.

I bet they will build a supertall along the river if CS turns out to be a reality. I mean think of how the land values of a Building directly across the river from CS would be, despite its massiveness, the open areas surrounding CS will garuntee alot of views to anything directly across the river from it. I hope a supertall does end up there since it would really help meld the existing Aon peak with CS, while Mandrin would help draw Trump and Waterview into the Aon peak as well. I think Chicago may end up sustaining the three peaked skyline thing, except the middle peak will be twice the size of the sides. That would help preserve or cherished Skyline symmetry and balance.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
Chicago gives out FAR bonuses for extending the pedway, and it is possible that a larger than normal bonus was given to achieve total pedway integration. If I were in charge, I would do my best to take advantage of this opportunity.
Ultimately it will probably have 3 connections: One west to the Fairmont, one south to Aqua II when built, and one north to 303. My guess is that anything beyond that will not win many points with the city, will not be cost effective, and would be a security concern for this tall residential building.

People also should note exactly where Swissotel is. Use a satellite photo, do not use LSE's map. LSE's map has some random unexplained gray rectangle, which does not exist, south of Swissotel's triangular shape. In contrast, a satellite photo will reveal that the Aqua site does not border Swissotel whatsoever. Therefore any connection to Swissotel would be via 303 or else far in the future when that random unexplained gray rectangle is built out.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
That is rather annoying and ironic considering we can so easily discount below street level floors, but have no problems counting useless spires.
Well said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive