HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 8:41 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
I've never been inside the YMCA but isn't it just a gym? I take this SRC to be a lot more than a gym, no?
They have a gym, racquet ball courts, a nice basketball court, an outdoor running track, a pool, studios for classes, a cafe, etc.

The SRC sounds like it would mostly be the same sort of stuff. Are you possibly confusing a Student Rec Center with a Student Union? The Union type stuff will be at the old Post Office.

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 8:53 PM

Seems to me like a recreation center and a gym are two different functions. I don't go to the gym to hang out. I think the ASU students want a pool to play around in, cool off, and get a tan. I think they want a place where they can shoot hoops, play pool, watch a movie, and things that are more fun. The Y does not provide that and its public/private partnership is not exactly the best for ASU students. I mean, if I was a hot blonde ASU student who wanted to catch some sun, I'd much rather do it around a bunch of other ASU students instead of the homeless folks who linger around the Y. It just seems like they want something fun downtown.

The lot West of the Y is perfect. It will help bridge the gap between the ASU parking lots along 2nd Ave and will hopefully jumpstart some development on the old Alta Tower lot between the new ASU Rec center and the Lofts at Fillmore.

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 9:01 PM

Making the downtown campus more friendly to students is a great plan. It will help in bringing more students, schools, dorms, and population, which will add to the development of other businesses in kind.

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
Seems to me like a recreation center and a gym are two different functions. I don't go to the gym to hang out. I think the ASU students want a pool to play around in, cool off, and get a tan. I think they want a place where they can shoot hoops, play pool, watch a movie, and things that are more fun. The Y does not provide that and its public/private partnership is not exactly the best for ASU students. I mean, if I was a hot blonde ASU student who wanted to catch some sun, I'd much rather do it around a bunch of other ASU students instead of the homeless folks who linger around the Y. It just seems like they want something fun downtown.

The lot West of the Y is perfect. It will help bridge the gap between the ASU parking lots along 2nd Ave and will hopefully jumpstart some development on the old Alta Tower lot between the new ASU Rec center and the Lofts at Fillmore.
Yep...that is what I had in mind. A place with pool, maybe some arcades, a theatre possibly...some places to eat, basically just a place to hang out. The Y is great and all but like you said, it's a public place as well and ASU students probably want to hang out and chill with out ASU students, not with the general public.

Are we sure it's going west of the Y though? Would have loved to have it front 1st St.

Old Posted May 4, 2011, 10:22 PM

/\ The first street frontage is owned privately.

Places to "hang out" and get a tan sound like things that should be available at the student union, ie, the renovations of the post office. They specifically mention multi-purpose gyms, locker rooms, etc., which sounds like what's offered at the Y.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 12:16 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\ The first street frontage is owned privately.

Places to "hang out" and get a tan sound like things that should be available at the student union, ie, the renovations of the post office. They specifically mention multi-purpose gyms, locker rooms, etc., which sounds like what's offered at the Y.
Indeed. ASU should be integrating itself with the City, not walling itself off from it. The urban form of the Downtown campus is counter to ASUs message of urbanism that it pays lip service to.

I can understand the desire for a private (ASU only) outdoor pool, but something like that could be a part of a 3rd phase of Taylor Place. They could easily put a pool between the Northernmost and middle towers raised up from street level (like the Vue apartments in Tempe).

I'd love to see the parking lot South of the Y bought by either the City or ASU (or them in conjunction) and a few outdoor Volleyball, tennis and basketball courts placed there. That would be great for ASU students & could be used by everyone.

If ASU students want a place to shoot pool, hang out, watch tv, meet up, see comedy troupes and do all the other things students all across America do in student unions they should do that in their upcoming student union.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 12:34 AM

Yay for 1st Ave frontage!

Here is the scoop...the YMCA owns everything from the two blocks south of the Y (with the easy to see slanted parking spaces) all the way to the block just south of the one with the white building on it (top of the photo). So I'm thinking this SRC building will go on the two blocks south of the Y, it's really the only spot available.
Those two lots combined are right around 14,000 sq ft. Have we heard anything about what size this thing is supposed to be? Maybe we can get an idea of the height.

All surrounding parking lots, including directly west, are privately owned. The lot furthest south of the Y si actually for same for $1.3 Million I believe.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 1:30 AM

Weird that parking lot (with the slanted parking spaces - which aren't slanted anymore) is owned by the Y... When they had a problem with parking supply, they told their members (me being one of them) they had an "agreement" with that lot to allow overflow parking during peak times of the day. That lot has one of those signs with slots that you put your money in. Maybe somehow that parking company leases from the YMCA or something. I always thought it was privately owned. And I certainly thought the YMCA owned the one(s) immediately to the west. That's their "main" parking area, covered and all, with signs.

Here's the streetview.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...304.97,,0,4.48

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 3:38 AM

putting it south of the Y makes more sense in terms of access by ASU students, I think. It keeps them in the common areas. This is good for safety, with the idea they are in highly lit and traffic areas, moreso than being on the west side of things.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 7:25 AM
Skyriser

The lot to the south was recently acquired.

The lot to the west is owned by Desert Troon for their Jet project which is still technically alive. I'm almost certain that this lot is so encumbered that DTR has to make up for any parking they take up with their own project. The amount of parking the first incarnation of the Jet required was one reason it didn't pencil out.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 7:48 AM

Both Gold's Gym and the YMCA have to be fuming about this.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 12:38 PM

I doubt students were paying and going to Golds.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmscaleros View Post
Both Gold's Gym and the YMCA have to be fuming about this.
YMCA can't be that mad, it's on their lot so I'd assume they agreed to it. ASU students get free memberships anyway, right? So they won't lose money and it will actually free up the gym a little.

Besides, the SRC may not even have work out equipment or nearly as much so some students will probably continue to go.

Old Posted May 5, 2011, 3:40 PM
BANNED

I think it's a great addition for ASU downtown. Students basically paid for this from their facilities fee. It's great to see ASU build something on the other side of the park. I'd like to see ASU continue to build around the park.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
YMCA can't be that mad, it's on their lot so I'd assume they agreed to it. ASU students get free memberships anyway, right? So they won't lose money and it will actually free up the gym a little.

Besides, the SRC may not even have work out equipment or nearly as much so some students will probably continue to go.
Just because something is free to students, doesn't mean the Y wasn't getting payments from ASU (akin to the U-Pass).

More suburban segregation from ASU. That school more closely resembles a real estate mogol than an institute of higher education. ASU is turning into a cancer for downtown.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 5:54 AM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxDowntowner View Post
Just because something is free to students, doesn't mean the Y wasn't getting payments from ASU (akin to the U-Pass).

More suburban segregation from ASU. That school more closely resembles a real estate mogol than an institute of higher education. ASU is turning into a cancer for downtown.

Supposition.

How exactly is this 'suburban segregation'? The building hasn't even been designed yet. It may yet have some sort of public engaging face. And even if it doesn't, it'll be more engaging at street level than most buildings down there just due to the building size vs. lot size (not even to mention the eye candy).

Or are you really just bitching about tuition, taxes or something else?

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 6:13 AM
BANNED

Some people just like to bitch.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
How exactly is this 'suburban segregation'? The building hasn't even been designed yet.
I'm not referring to the (unknown) design. I'm referring to what many in here have already pointed out: That ASU is more interested in building an insulated (suburban) rather than integrated (urban) campus. We'll see how it really pans out, but the way the DD article paints it, it's a self-aggrandizing breakaway from the YMCA. Hopefully that article is either wrong or inadvertently sent the wrong message.

Old Posted May 8, 2011, 7:33 PM
them bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxDowntowner View Post
I'm not referring to the (unknown) design. I'm referring to what many in here have already pointed out: That ASU is more interested in building an insulated (suburban) rather than integrated (urban) campus. We'll see how it really pans out, but the way the DD article paints it, it's a self-aggrandizing breakaway from the YMCA. Hopefully that article is either wrong or inadvertently sent the wrong message.
I disagree, if only because everything else they've actually built down there has not been suburban in nature. Take a look at the bio-med campus over a few blocks to see the difference.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 12:57 AM
BANNED

everything in my neighborhood with an ASU logo on it is very urban feeling and friendly to the landscape. Journalism school and dorms both have retail facing the street, and are coordinated in a way that they promote walking.

You can't include Mercado, Nursing, and Biomed, because all of those places were pre-existing structures.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest