HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 4:59 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by art deco View Post
Driven down the CPT a few times now and can't help but think that this thing was built quickly and cheaply so the City can demonstrate "success" on a P3.
Considering the Charleswood bridge and parkway was a P3 project done nearly 15 years ago, I would say that the city has already demonstrated success in terms of P3 projects.

P3s are perfect for roads, bridges and rail transit infrastructure where the routes and specs are planned by the client (the city) and it is really just a matter of building them to spec.

Where I don't agree with P3s is for actual buildings (schools, hospitals etc) as I find that the process stifles the architectural process and you end up with some pretty bland buildings as a result.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 5:10 PM

Fair comment hotwired, and i would tend to agree that P3 is better suited to large infrastructure projects such as this one. May be an unfair comparison but when I see projects like this one I can't help thinking that with our current infrastructure deficit we may be heading down the same path as Montreal, crumbling infrastructure and no money to repair it. They went down this path years before us. Of course Winnipeg would need the requisite incestuous government and contractor corruption for that to happen here...

Old Posted Dec 13, 2011, 10:32 PM

Drove on it recently. It didn't feel so....Kildonan.

But I was driving at night so I couldn't really know.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 4:28 AM

I don't live anywhere near North Kildonan, but I drove up the CPT last weekend just to check it out.

Are the noise barriers those things along the backs of the houses? If so, I agree that they look kind of cheap.

The Gateway Road intersection is kind of unfortunate in terms of keeping traffic free-flowing, but I guess there isn't really room for an interchange there. I'm surprised they managed to fit an underpass in at Rothesay. I was expecting CPT to go over Rothesay, but it went under instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auror View Post
It didn't feel so....Kildonan.
In a good way or a bad way? What is the "Kildonan feeling"?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 10:10 PM

Neither. I've lived in Kildonan for 20 years. It just has its own feel. I don't know how to explain it lol. Does any other Kildonaner agree?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 12:52 AM
Uzer Error

Smile

I would most definitely agree. It's hard to believe only just a year earlier that I was still driving down Raleigh and taking Douglas Ave to work every morning as a shortcut to Henderson Highway. I forget where I am briefly while taking the CPT... feels like the south side of the city or something.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art deco View Post
Fair comment hotwired, and i would tend to agree that P3 is better suited to large infrastructure projects such as this one. May be an unfair comparison but when I see projects like this one I can't help thinking that with our current infrastructure deficit we may be heading down the same path as Montreal, crumbling infrastructure and no money to repair it. They went down this path years before us. Of course Winnipeg would need the requisite incestuous government and contractor corruption for that to happen here...
Good points, but what are the alternatives?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 6:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildonaner View Post
I would most definitely agree. It's hard to believe only just a year earlier that I was still driving down Raleigh and taking Douglas Ave to work every morning as a shortcut to Henderson Highway. I forget where I am briefly while taking the CPT... feels like the south side of the city or something.

I wish they would fast track the CPT, and connect it from Brookside Blvd to Plessis Road.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 12:39 PM
Uzer Error

Smile

I've got my fingers crossed that at least within the next 10 years I might be lucky enough to see it extended right to brookside. I take Inkster all the way to route 90 to work. All I need is the one road to take to work from North Kildonan. Think it will happen by 2020? or are we gonna have so sit on our hands until 2031+ either way i'm more than pleased at the speed I saw this stage of the CPT come together.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 3:17 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

As I've said a few times already in this thread, CentrePort may coax the extension west even sooner, rather than later.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I wish they would fast track the CPT, and connect it from Brookside Blvd to Plessis Road.
I wonder where the $300 or $400 million for this project would come from. As someone who is so vehemently against taxpayer waste, do you think that this extension is really a pressing priority?

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 8:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I wonder where the $300 or $400 million for this project would come from. As someone who is so vehemently against taxpayer waste, do you think that this extension is really a pressing priority?
Explain how expanding the CPT from Brookside to Plessis is "Taxpayer waste."

Last edited by Jets4Life; Dec 17, 2011 at 9:08 PM.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Explain how expanding the CPT from Brookside to Plessis is "Taxpayer waste." I can use a good laugh.
Do we really need another Perimeter 2kms inside the Perimeter for a couple hundred million? There is nothing there (especially the 4km stretch from McPhillips to Brookside), so not sure why this would be a priority. The industrial area along Brookside has access to the Perimeter in less than 2 minutes, and a cloverleaf interchange. Who would be using this extension? Amber trail residents likely wouldn't even have access (unless there's a diamond interchange at Pipeline?). Sorry if I don't follow, hope you had your laugh...

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 9:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Do we really need another Perimeter 2kms inside the Perimeter for a couple hundred million? There is nothing there (especially the 4km stretch from McPhillips to Brookside), so not sure why this would be a priority. The industrial area along Brookside has access to the Perimeter in less than 2 minutes, and a cloverleaf interchange. Who would be using this extension? Amber trail residents likely wouldn't even have access (unless there's a diamond interchange at Pipeline?). Sorry if I don't follow, hope you had your laugh...

With the rising costs of construction, recent growth of the city, and the future Centreport project, I think it would make perfect sense to not only expand the CPT, but follow through on the eventual plans to complete the Inner-city beltway. At the very least, the CPT should be connected to McPhillips sooner than later.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
With the rising costs of construction, recent growth of the city, and the future Centreport project, I think it would make perfect sense to not only expand the CPT, but follow through on the eventual plans to complete the Inner-city beltway. At the very least, the CPT should be connected to McPhillips sooner than later.
Fair enough. I just don't see it as a pressing priority in terms of capital budget expenditures, but do hope the beltway is completed eventually...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 1:13 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Fair enough. I just don't see it as a pressing priority in terms of capital budget expenditures, but do hope the beltway is completed eventually...
Driving on Edmonton's Anthony Henday Drive (which is now 90% complete), has shaved at least 35 minutes off any commute I make, if I have to work north of the city. Even though Winnipeg's inner city beltway will not be a completely limited access highway, it will relieve congestion on some of the major roads like Lagimodiere, Route 90, Inkster, Notre Dame, and Main St.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 12:34 AM

Check this out,
Quote:
CTV Winnipeg - http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=WinnipegHome

Dump truck smashes into Rothesay overpass on Chief Peguis Trail
Sections of the Chief Peguis Trail and the Rothesay overpass are closed after a dump truck hit the structure Tuesday afternoon in Winnipeg.

City officials don't know why the box of the truck was raised but it hit the overpass, appearing to cause some exterior damage.

Police said the incident was reported around 2 p.m.

Engineers will take a closer look before the overpass is re-opened.
You can see the picture on CTV's website. Hopefully there isn't any structural damage.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techman224 View Post
Check this out,

You can see the picture on CTV's website. Hopefully there isn't any structural damage.
Reopened now, Bad day for the CPT with the serious accident near Henderson and the bridge hit.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donwood View Post
Reopened now, Bad day for the CPT with the serious accident near Henderson and the bridge hit.
Is the bridge open?

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 2:35 AM
Uzer Error

Smile

Man I was wondering why traffic was backed up to pre-CPT levels. Just imagine if this truck was traveling westbound instead and struck the pedestrian bridge. Me and my friend were making bets on how long it would take before either a high speed crash or other accident would take place on the new CPT lol. Guess today was the day. Sucks to hear about that guy getting hit by the bus though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan