HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 4:35 AM
BANNED

BREAKING: Transbay Terminal Design Competition called off

The years long proposals for a new transit center in San Francisco, which have just been revealed to the public today as an architectural breakthrough in a city prone with earthquakes and housing crises, have all been canceled.

Mr. William Beck, resident of the west of Twin Peaks neighborhood, explained that, upon completion of the iconic Transbay Tower, he would not be able to see the fourth Bay Bridge tower from his living room.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 4:37 AM

I loved the Pelli and the SOM designs. I feel like Pelli's designed suits San Francisco. Though not bold, it is elegant, and I love the park idea. SOM is on the other side of the spectrum (IMO). It is bold but not very elegant. I would be happy with either design, though I think I would much more enjoy the park while on lunch at work than I would another in-door mall.

During the presentation, Pelli seemed to have an intuitive understanding of San Francisco life whereas the SOM designer's presentation, though well done, lacked character. My vote is for Pelli.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 4:45 AM

Pictures of Rogers' Model (taken by me)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 4:46 AM
Pizza Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post
The years long proposals for a new transit center in San Francisco, which have just been revealed to the public today as an architectural breakthrough in a city prone with earthquakes and housing crises, have all been canceled.

Mr. William Beck, resident of the west of Twin Peaks neighborhood, explained that, upon completion of the iconic Transbay Tower, he would not be able to see the fourth Bay Bridge tower from his living room.

wait is it really cancelled?!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 4:49 AM

Pictures of SOM's model (taken by me):

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 4:52 AM
BANNED

I believe the SOM proposal is roughly 1500', although I didn't make it to the presentation (got locked down with work!) so can anybody confirm this?

In the rendering, you can see Millennium east of it, which looks like a little dwarf! If Millennium is roughly 650', two Millenniums would be 1300', and the building looks quite taller than two Millenniums!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 4:53 AM

Pictures of Pelli's model (taken by me):

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 4:58 AM
Show me the blueprints

Wow. SOM. It almost takes your breath away. Sincerely STUNNING!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:02 AM

Quote:
I believe the SOM proposal is roughly 1500', although I didn't make it to the presentation (got locked down with work!) so can anybody confirm this?

In the rendering, you can see Millennium east of it, which looks like a little dwarf! If Millennium is roughly 650', two Millenniums would be 1300', and the building looks quite taller than two Millenniums!

If i recall correctly it's 1375'.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:08 AM
BANNED

I have given my proxy to Sylvia Johnson and I urge everyone to do the same . If you haven't a clue what I'm talking about, you needed either to be there or to have seen the final question period on TV.

But personally, my initial choice--and I regret saying it--is the SOM proposal. Both Lord Rogers and Mr. Pelli seem like such nice, sincere people and I'm glad I won't be the one having to say "sorry" to either of them, but I just like the SOM design best. Rogers would be second and Pelli third.

The Pelli team spent so much time talking about their park and very little about the tower so it's possible I'm under-rating it. All I can go on is the superficial appearances of the rendering we saw. But the thing is that I'm unconvinced a park, however glorious it looked, 6 stories in the air would get used all that much. If you are out walking the dog or pushing that baby stroller, are you going to want to take a funicular or multiple escalators way up there? How about if you just want to eat your sandwich for lunch? And, oh by the way, with a tower that's entirely office (serious political mistake IMHO--Daly has already said he wants affordable housing), where are those people with strollers expected to come from? The Millenium Tower?

No, I think this is a spot for a truly grand urban BUILDING rather than a park to match Yerba Buena just up the street and by that criteria, SOM wins. I sort of cringed when they analogized the Eiffel Tower although the blood line is obvious. However some of the ground level renderings reminded me more of the entrance to Babylon at its height. Breathtaking. And I like the way the architecture of the terminal flows into that of the tower with the same "tree" forms on both.

The Rogers design struck me as functional; efficient; solid in a bold way. For all those reasons--and that it may ultimately be the most "sustainable" and flexible--it may very well win. And I like it a lot. But it isn't my first choice.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:08 AM
BANNED

From 'da Chronicle - John King & Jonathan Curiel

"Each proposal was evaluated in private last week at Fort Mason by an appointed jury that includes architects and engineers as well as a transportation expert and a real estate analyst. The jury will present its recommendation to the authority board on Aug. 30."

"But a full environmental study is needed before zoning can be changed -- and the formal planning work to test such heights only now is getting underway."
- We were told at the first Transbay meeting that this process would take six months.

I thought this interesting:
"Indeed, a voter-approved proposition from 1984 makes it difficult to erect any tower that will cast shade on a public park. "
So how much percent of the day is the whole city cast in shadow by fog? Why no voter approved proposition banning God from casting clouds on the city? And how long do shadows stay in one place, anyway, maybe an hour?
From 1984 PEOPLE!! This is 2007. Times are a changing. How many of those yahoo's from the 80s are still alive or still live in San Francisco? 4%?

"Still, support for the tower is considerable.
It includes a number of environmental groups who in the past have lobbied for height limits but now see mass transit as a critical issue for the region. "

The Transbay authority is scheduled to vote on September 20 to select the development team. The goal is to have the new transit station in operation by 2014. (Right around the time the new Bay Bridge will open)

-According to Channel 2 news, construction could begin in 2009.

Last edited by tyler82; Aug 7, 2007 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:10 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Thx for the excellent model shots. On seeing them, I am now leaning towards SOM first then Rogers, Pelli does nothing for me, except the terminal.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:14 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Looks like we're getting a 12- 1300 footer, unless huge swaths of NIMBYs show up organized.
After watching the presentation, I am very reassured that won't happen and they won't stop it if they do. And was that a housing advocate telling them for G*d's sake not to shorten it?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I thought this interesting:
"Indeed, a voter-approved proposition from 1984 makes it difficult to erect any tower that will cast shade on a public park. "
The fact that Pelli's proposed park is SOUTH of the tower should help a lot in the shadow dept.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityKid View Post
If i recall correctly it's 1375'.
That would make it the 4th or 5th tallest skyscraper in the world.

I'm in love with the subtly visible wind turbines in the top !! How could anybody not want this building?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
The fact that Pelli's proposed park is SOUTH of the tower should help a lot in the shadow dept.
the nw/se orientation of the south of market grid would actually put the park in shadow from the tower quite often, but no more or less than any other urban park.

the critical thing to remember about prop k is that it only applies to parks & rec owned and managed land. ybg, for example, or the new rincon park on the waterfront, etc, are not subject to prop k.

I was at the presentation.

I personally vote for the Rogers'project. I like the way its expressed structure echoes the Golden Gate bridge, including the color. According to Roger's presentation, the building facade would be quite animated, like Llyod's or the Centre Pompidou. I think it is the project that is most likely to look as interesting once it is built as it did in the renderings and models.

We already have many buildings by SOM downtown, and also a couple by Pelli, further down Mission St., but nothing by Rogers.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
After watching the presentation, I am very reassured that won't happen and they won't stop it if they do. And was that a housing advocate telling them for G*d's sake not to shorten it?
I suspect the housing advocae was also an SSP forumer. Also worth noting that even Richard Mlynarik's comments were relatively benign.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:36 AM
TOD'd

SF already has a riff on the Golden Gate Bridge: Sutro Tower. I'd rather see the lattice in Rogers' design in stainless steel or dark grey... reminds me of Lippo Centre in HK. SOM will win hearts and minds on the ground and in the air. If SF wants a signature tower, there it is. I'll have to sleep on Pelli- it just hasn't made an impact on me yet.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2007, 5:36 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:

Nice try on this one Tyler, but no one west of Twin Peaks can see the Bay Bridge now. I see it from the east side, along with everything else, including this fabulous new tower when it gets built!

I have to admit though, you sure scared me for a second. I didn't get home from work until about 9:45 PM and when I went right for this thread, this posting was the first one that I saw. Gulp...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development