HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 5:45 PM

Ticats Coach Fired

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 6:36 PM
It's Hammer Time

About time! Danny Mac the new coach for next season?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 6:44 PM
Closed account

thank-you!!!!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 3:10 AM

possible trade with Winnipeg: Zeke Moreno for Tom Canada

http://tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=248881&l...headlines_main

...let the purge begin...and then there was talk of Lumsden leaving for Edmonton when he goes through free agency this offseason...

http://thespec.com/Sports/article/431447

...not exactly the tact that most ticat fans would take, I'm sure...

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 4:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

Very sad news ............

CFL great Ron Lancaster dead: reports
The Hamilton Spectator and TSN

Canadian Football League great Ron Lancaster has died.

The CFL icon and former Ticat head coach died this morning, Tiger-Cat team officials confirmed this morning. They informed players in a special meeting at this morning's practice.

Lancaster was 69.

Lancaster had been serving as Hamilton's senior adviser to organizational development and providing analysis on the team's radio broadcasts.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 4:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

The most memorable Ti-Cat moment for me was when Ozzy kicked something like a 55 yards for 3 points to win the playoffs and go to the Grey Cup. I remember Ron going nuts on the field.

RIP Ron Lancaster.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2008, 5:59 PM
Closed account

He truly was a CFL Legend.

Rest In Peace, Ron.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2008, 5:58 PM
It's Hammer Time

'He was the epitome of Cat football'

There will be a life celebration for Ron Lancaster at the Bay Gardens Funeral Home, 947 Rymal Road E. in Hamilton. It runs from 2 – 5 p.m.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made to the Juravinski Cancer Centre.

Ron Lancaster fondly remembered as player, coach, GM and family man
September 19, 2008
Steve Milton
The Hamilton Spectator

Inside the Little General beat the heart of the enlisted man.

It's jarring, and depressing, to realize that today -- Game Day and, appropriately, Hall of Fame Game Day -- is the first day we are all forced to carry on without Ron Lancaster.

His huge smile and quick, smoky laugh no longer lighting up, and lightening up, Ivor Wynne Stadium? No more raucous stories of the greats and the goats of the Canadian Football League, back when it rivaled the National Hockey League for popularity?

He and Bernie Custis no longer cackling under the canopy in the east end zone, slapping each other on the back after their own jokes?

He and Bev Lancaster not welcoming friends on the sidelines, an extension of their living room, an hour before game time?

Impossible. All of it.

From coast to coast, the football world has been mourning the loss of a transcendent presence. Thirty years after their playing days, Lancaster and George Reed are still as Saskatchewan as wheat. Ten years after he won the franchise's last Grey Cup, Lancaster was still, as Zeke Moreno said yesterday, "a rock star in Hamilton. But down-to-earth too."

Lancaster was a tribal leader of that beautifully blessed breed: Americans who come north and become bigger boosters of the CFL than most Canucks. He did everything in and around the league: hall-of-fame quarterback, Grey Cup-winning coach; one of the best colour TV analysts the game has ever heard; general manager; community ambassador; oral historian; stand-up comedian.

And, in these parts, franchise saviour six years before Bob Young saved it again.

Lancaster became Ticat head coach in 1998, the year after the club went 2-16 and had no local cachet.

He brought quarterback Danny McManus and receiver Darren Flutie with him from Edmonton, brought his son in as offensive co-ordinator and within eight months they were a last-second Calgary field goal from winning the Grey Cup. They won it the next year, and haven't been close since.

"When I got to the CFL with B.C., in 1991, to me he was just a figure on the sidelines with Edmonton," Flutie recalls. "But he was a very intimidating presence. He never smiled, and I'd see him sneak a smoke.

"Then in '96, when I went to Edmonton and got to know him, he turned out to be a very caring, understanding man. He had played a long time, so the best thing he did was handle players. He knew when he needed to lay off, when you needed to be pushed.

"I think he recognized some kindred spirits in Danny and me. We were not too fast, we were not too big, but we played our asses off. So he gave me a lot of trust on and off the field.

"I'm very sad. It's like a member of the family has passed."

Which is exactly how McManus put it and, not surprisingly, he and his former batterymate handled the news the same way.

When Flutie was phoned about Lancaster's death, he immediately hung up because he couldn't maintain his composure. When McManus was told after yesterday's short Ticat practice, he hurriedly left the field in tears and walked around the stadium -- their stadium -- alone, before returning to talk about the man who'd been his coach, confidante, idol since 1996.

"The big thing was that first day, he said we were a Grey Cup team, and the team needed to hear the leader say that," McManus said.

"He was a father figure to me. But he was also a career saver.

"He took a chance on me in Edmonton to run his ball club."

McManus appreciated Lancaster's legendary bluntness. As a player, or a journalist, you could ask him a question but had to be prepared for an answer you didn't like.

"He wasn't going to sugar-coat it," McManus smiled. "He had too much respect for football to blow smoke up your rear end."

Better than most who've ever played in this country.

It's been a year of brutally impactful losses for Canadian football. Within the past 12 months the CFL has lost, among others, its most august commissioner, Jake Gaudaur, two pioneering broadcasters in Don Chevrier and Don Whitman (Lancaster's on-air CBC partner), player/broadcaster Lief Petersen, Lions' franchise cornerstone Bobby Ackles, the unique J.I. Albrecht, and thundering fullback Earl Lunsford.

And now, the Little General.

CFL commissioner Mark Cohon, and his assistant Matt Maychak, have become too good at writing obituaries. And they penned a beauty to Lancaster yesterday.

Most complimentary to Hamilton, Ron and Bev Lancaster chose to live here during his broadcasting career, and even after he finished coaching the Cats. He always said the Steel City reminded him of the people, and values, of his Pennsylvania.

"He is -- not was -- the epitome of Ticat football," said interim Tiger-Cats head coach Marcel Bellefeuille succinctly.

"A hard-working, down-to-earth person.

"He's a microcosm of this town."

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 6:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

Keith is a Tiger-Cat
Rick Zamperin
9/22/2008

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have added some star power to their lineup.

The CFL club has signed running back Kenton Keith through the 2010 season.

It will pay Keith 170-thousand dollars in 2009 and 2010, and includes a "significant" signing bonus.

The former Roughriders running back was cut by the Colts at the end of August.

The 28-year-old ran for 533 yards and scored four touchdowns as Joseph Addai's backup with Indianapolis last season.

But Keith struggled in the pre-season this year, gaining 35 yards on 14 carries.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 6:38 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Keith is a Tiger-Cat
Rick Zamperin
9/22/2008

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have added some star power to their lineup.
That's what they said about Pringles (I call Printers 'Pringles' b/c he's such a joke).

How about they worry about correcting stupid mistakes like fumbling a winning field goal!?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 11:53 AM
It's Hammer Time

Wheeler to pitch name change from Ivor Wynne to Lancaster

September 25, 2008
The Hamilton Spectator

Former Hamilton alderman and Canadian Football Hall of Fame committee member Reg Wheeler has a controversial proposal he will be taking to city hall.

Wheeler would like to see Ivor Wynne Stadium renamed in honour of the late Canadian Football League great Ron Lancaster, who passed away last Thursday.

Wheeler was a member of the city park's board in 1971 that opted to name the rebuilt stadium after fellow parks board member Ivor Wynne.

"I disagreed with it. And I just think with the death of Ron Lancaster, we should name it Lancaster Stadium," Wheeler explained.

"I think it's time to honour football people by naming a vehicle made for football players. What a great memorial it would be for Ronnie."

Wheeler said he plans to discuss the re-naming of the city-owned facility with Mayor Fred Eisenberger.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 12:22 PM
Closed account

^^ Good idea, but why not wait until we get our new stadium?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 12:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yes, I rather wait until a new stadium or if they renovate IWS.

But instead call it Lancaster Field instead of Lancaster Stadium.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2008, 1:29 PM
Hammer'd

I actually like the sound of it, but I agree it should wait until a decision is made on whether the stadium will be renovated or torn down.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Oct 27, 2008, 5:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

Bellefeuille expected to lose interim tag

Rick Zamperin
10/27/2008

The Tiger-Cats have called a news conference for this afternoon.

The speculation is that G-M Bob O’Billovich may remove the interim tag from head coach Marcel Bellefeuille.

Bellefeuille has gone 1-and-6 since taking over from Charlie Taaffe, who was fired midway through his second season in Hamilton.

We'll get the official word at 3 o'clock.

The 3-and-14 Ticats visits the Blue Bombers in Winnipeg this Saturday on CHML and Y108.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 12:45 AM
Closed account

so you're probably wondering what the heck I could have to post about the Cats the week before Grey Cup.
Well, nothing.
This is the closest thread I could find where I can come and say "LETS GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!" before heading out to watch the game.
MNF from Buffalo. Doesn't get any better than that!!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2008, 4:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

Khari Jones joins Tiger-Cats staff

Ted Michaels
12/16/2008

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have finalized their offensive coaching staff with the addition of Khari Jones as the team’s quarterback coach.

As a player, Jones spent eight CFL seasons with the B.C. Lions, Winnipeg Blue Bombers, Edmonton Eskimos and the Ticats.

In 131 career games, Jones threw for 21,383 yards and 145 touchdowns while rushing for 1,664 yards and 13 touchdowns.

He was named an East Division All-Star twice, a CFL All-Star once and was named the league’s Most Outstanding Player in 2001. Jones retired in 2006 to join CBC’s CFL broadcast team.

Jones joins offensive coordinator Mike Gibson and receivers coach Dennis Goldman on the Black and Gold’s offensive staff while Dave Easley will return for his third season as the Ticats special teams coordinator.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2008, 3:00 PM
It's Hammer Time

Losing money. Keeping faith.

December 20, 2008
Ken Peters
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/484969

His won-loss record is 24-65-1.

Worse, his bank account has been drained by some $25 million, maybe more.

Worse still, five years in, his Hamilton Tiger-Cats continue to finish in the red, both on the field and at the box office.

All of that combined with the fact that Hamilton owner Bob Young was less visible this past season than he had been in the past led to speculation that the owner was tiring of his latest toy.

Not to worry. Young admits he was less visible for two reasons. The first is that he was working behind the scenes with his management team, concentrating on trying to fix the Tiger-Cats rather than marketing them.

And the second?

"It wasn't that I didn't like the criticism, I just didn't like the sympathy I was getting. I couldn't take them (Hamilton fans) feeling sorry for me."

But the good news for fans is that a half-decade since Young, the multimillionaire computer software entrepreneur, rode into Steeltown as football saviour, the quirky, somewhat geeky-looking, ballcap-wearing, self-deprecating owner remains as bullish as ever on his perennially losing Tabbies.

That, after acknowledging yearly losses in the millions.

Still, Young candidly told The Spec over the phone from his Raleigh, N.C., headquarters that the past year was easily the most disappointing of any of the five mediocre campaigns.

"At least in the first four years I knew that I didn't know what I was doing. But now I do know what we're doing. So last season was easily the most disappointing.

"But we do have it fixed," Young said, adding he has complete confidence that for the first time he has the right blend of business experience with football acumen.

Young talks ruefully of his 2004 rookie season when the Ticats took the field with an owner, president, general manager and head coach all in their debut seasons.

"The biggest single mistake was I overvalued intelligence over experience," he said, adding in the high-tech computer software business, intelligence routinely trumps experience.

"In football, we have been playing under the same rules for 50 years, so experience counts for so much."

Young believed that 2008 was going to prove the Tiger-Cat turnaround season with president Scott Mitchell in his first full season, Charlie Taaffe in his second and with experienced talent recruiter Bob O'Billovich coming on board as the club's GM.

It wasn't to be.

"We would have been thrilled if we could have gone 9-9," Young said. They might have. But the Cats lost seven games in the fourth quarter by seven points or less.

Young is convinced that the Cats' talent level has finally caught up with the rest of the league, and with O'Billovich firmly in place as the key recruiter, the club will be more competitive in 2009.

But the Hamilton owner has been wrong on football matters far more than he has been right.

The late Ron Lancaster was promoted to general manager after finishing 1-17 as the Cats' head coach in 2003. That proved to be the wrong move. When Lancaster had to be moved out, Young moved Rob Katz into the GM's office. Katz lacked experience and was fleeced in the Jason Maas trade with Edmonton, a major fiasco that cost the Tiger-Cats a first overall draft selection. Katz was moved out to make room for Marcel Desjardins. But the new GM clashed with Mitchell and was soon sent packing.

Now Mitchell enters his second full season as president. But Mitchell's hands-on, often imperious style has seen him blow up at staff and media alike, and anger fans with such controversial moves as revised stadium pricing for longtime season ticket holders and television blackouts.

And O'Billovich enjoyed an up-and-down first season as GM. He made a mistake in backing the retention of Taaffe as head coach and clearly overestimated his talent level, particularly on the offensive and defensive lines. Also, the team clearly overpaid for unproductive running back Kenton Keith and free agent receiver Tony Miles.

On the plus side, O'Billovich engineered two key trades (for defensive back Chris Thompson and linebacker Markeith Knowlton), found a quarterback (Quinton Porter) and upgraded the receiving corps.

The Cats will enter the season with Marcel Bellefeuille, a career assistant, who finished the season with a 1-7 record as interim head coach after Taaffe was fired. Bellefeuille hopes to complete his first full season as a CFL head coach in 2009.

Despite the rocky half-decade, Young insists he hasn't had a minute of regret about taking over the bankrupt franchise in October 2003. "I don't regret it for a second. What gets me out of bed in the morning is the thought of learning new things. I have a low threshold for boredom. I'm learning a new field in sport and in business," Young said.

The Tiger-Cats are not for sale. Young gives no indication he plans on bailing any time soon.

"My theme is still the same. Once we have won several Grey Cups in a row I will sell the team," Young said, adding he wants to avoid a deathbed regret of having sold the team having lost so many contests without a championship.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 7:56 PM
It's Hammer Time

Kevin Glenn Steeltown-bound?

Ticats interested in Bombers QB
January 22, 2009
Ken Peters
http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/500170

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have an interest in veteran quarterback Kevin Glenn.

GM Bob O’Billovich told the Spec that the availability of the veteran Winnipeg Blue Bombers pivot is something that interests his club.

“It’s something to talk about. I would not rule it out completely. It’s worth having a conversation about,” O’Billovich said, adding he would wait to talk to Hamilton head coach Marcel Bellefeuille about the issue before saying anything more specific.

But O’Billovich added that Bellefeuille and Glenn worked together in Saskatchewan.

The Blue Bombers wasted little time in putting Glenn on the trading block after acquring Edmonton passer Stefan LeFors Wednesday.

Glenn ramped up speculation that he could be Steeltown-bound when he told Winnipeg media that Hamilton would be at the top of his list as possible destinations.

The quarterbalk talk was further hyped when O’Billovich reiterated remarks he first made to the Spec last month that the chances of veteran QB Casey Printers remaining with the Tiger-Cats this season were just 50-50.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 4:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

2009 Tiger-Cats schedule released
Rick Zamperin
2/3/2009

For the 2nd year in a row, the CFL regular season will kick off at Ivor Wynne Stadium.

The Ticats will host the Argos on Canada Day, Wednesday July 1st, followed by a Grey Cup rematch between the Stampeders and Alouettes in Calgary.

The Cats and Argos hook up on Labour Day, with a 4 o'clock kickoff this year.

Hamilton will also host Winnipeg on Thanksgiving afternoon.

The Ticats will play five games on Friday nights and four on Saturday.

The Grey Cup goes November 29th in Calgary.

---

2009 Ticats schedule (all times Eastern)

Pre-season
Wednesday, June 17 Hamilton @ Winnipeg 8:00pm
Tuesday, June 23 Toronto @ Hamilton 7:00pm

Regular Season
Wednesday, July 1 Toronto @ Hamilton 7:00pm
Friday, July 10 Hamilton @ B.C. 10:30pm
Saturday, July 18 Winnipeg @ Hamilton 6:00pm
Thursday, July 23 Hamilton @ Montreal 7:30pm
Friday, July 31 B.C. @ Hamilton 7:30pm
Saturday, August 8 Edmonton @ Hamilton 6:30pm
Sunday, August 16 Hamilton @ Saskatchewan 7:00pm
Bye Week
Thursday, August 27 Hamilton @ Edmonton 9:00pm
Monday, September 7 Toronto @ Hamilton 4:00pm
Friday, September 11 Hamilton @ Toronto 7:00pm
Friday, September 18 Calgary @ Hamilton 7:30pm
Friday, September 25 Montreal @ Hamilton 7:00pm
Saturday, October 3 Hamilton @ Calgary 7:00pm
Monday, October 12 Winnipeg @ Hamilton 4:30pm
Sunday, October 18 Hamilton @ Montreal 2:00pm
Friday, October 23 Hamilton @ Toronto 7:00pm
Saturday, October 31 Saskatchewan @ Hamilton 2:00pm
Sunday, November 8 Hamilton @ Winnipeg 1:00pm

Playoffs
Sunday, November 15 East Semi-Final
Sunday, November 15 West Semi-Final
Sunday, November 22 East Final
Sunday, November 22 West Final

97th Grey Cup
Sunday, November 29 Grey Cup in Calgary 6:30pm

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation