HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 8:15 AM

well i see new structures i think!!! look at that container crane on the left; that's pretty tall.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 8:33 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
people buy based on resale value now

as if cars hold their value anymore...

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 6:23 PM

Probably will see a slight creep up near all the projects around the West Georgia White Spot?

Back in 1989

https://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/1989-Do...-/201566220220

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcminsen View Post
I was also feeling a bit dejected when I was taking pics of the skyline today from Lonsdale Quay. Same old, same old. It's been looking largely the same for years now (since Trump Tower was topped out). When is the profile from this angle going to noticeably change again? I know we have the special towers like Vancouver House and the towers around West Georgia and Cardero going up but when are we going to get the next really big one to break the old table top or become the new tallest?

The two big towers (Shangri La and Trump) that broke up the flat profile are getting kind of old. Remember how many years it took for the Trump tower to complete after it got started. I'm a little jealous of Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto because every time I see some new skyline pics you can see the latest big changes. Oy...

Vancouver as seen from Lonsdale Quay, March 10 '19, my pic

Oy indeed. You can also add Montreal to the list.

Here's an ever-changing skyline that makes us jealous: the good 'ol capital city of Alberta:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_foster View Post

from
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 7:16 PM

I know its further southwest (and further back in that photo), but the Butterfly should poke above the table top (at least) at its height... and "The Stack" will sit ominously in front of the Trump tower and midway between its height and the rest of the 'table top'

Nothing really dramatic will change from this angle until that potential 700/750' redevelopment at Burrard and Georgia comes to fruition... but we might be waiting for a long time for that one. I guess its always good to have something to look forward to in the future.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 10:54 AM

While Vancouver won't be seeing a skyline transformation to the scale we wish for (where were all of these concerns in the 1166 West Pender thread, where an office tower of nearly 170 metres was to be proposed but was reduced to under 120 due to shadow regulations?) there are 3 towers that will have large impacts in the coming years, The Butterfly, Burrard Gateway, and The Stack.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 11:06 AM

Exclamation "Klazu's 'favourite unbuilt building' by I.M. Pei

This ultra-elegant, classy high rise, oringinally designed for 45 floors, with an arched arcade under it, is too small for The Great Skyscraper at Burrard and Georgia, but might work elsewhere. The ugly utiltarian HSBC building on West Georgia, kitty corner somewhat to The Trump Tower, couyld be replaced with the IM Pei tower, the archway undernath modified to further provide open archways onto Georgia street, and leading into the courtard of the est Coast church, an oasis of humilty and gree amid the high buildings and high energy surroun ding it; rather an oasis of peace. That I.M Pei building would go well there, I think.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 7:44 PM

Riu Hotels and Resorts reportedly searching for Vancouver site
MARCH 22, 2019 BY PETER MEISZNER

Spanish hotel chain Riu Hotels and Resorts is actively searching for a site in downtown Vancouver, according to a recent media report in the Globe and Mail.

The article (note: paywall) highlighting Riu’s upcoming Toronto hotel tower revealed that the hotelier has engaged Cushman & Wakefield to help find a suitable site for a Riu hotel in Vancouver.

https://urbanyvr.com/riu-hotels-downtown-vancouver-site

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 7:54 AM

Conference Plaza at 438 seymour is a contender.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 8:43 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by deer820 View Post
Conference Plaza at 438 seymour is a contender.

For a Riu hotel? It's a strata condo building.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 7:56 PM

The Delta portion could be changed from a Delta operated hotel and conference facility to a RIU branded hotel and conference facility.

Not sure what term Delta has on their operating agreement but it's definitely a possibility.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 5:47 AM

Quoting Jougho's post in the Downtown Vancouver Updates thread.

Very interesting! Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jougho View Post
I was recently told by a prominent hotelier at lunch with family from Texas and New Zealand that the Four Seasons Hotel will be demolished next year, and to expect a susstantial increase in hotel rates at their property next year. ( the property too complicated supposedly to repurpose or reconfigure). He also said that the Trump Hotel and Tower will be rebranded. (Confirming something I had heard months ago)

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jougho View Post
I was recently told by a prominent hotelier at lunch with family from Texas and New Zealand that the Four Seasons Hotel will be demolished next year, and to expect a susstantial increase in hotel rates at their property next year. ( the property too complicated supposedly to repurpose or reconfigure). He also said that the Trump Hotel and Tower will be rebranded. (Confirming something I had heard months ago)
What's interesting is that - I think - the Four Seasons site sits squarely in the "view shadow" of Scotia Tower from the City Hall view cone. That means that a new tower on the site could go substantially taller than the existing hotel since it would be blocked by Scotia Tower (assuming density can be obtained/achieved to go taller, but it could also go skinnier and taller).
Note that the 701 West Georgia site is constrained by the Granville Street view cone (Canaccord Tower height), whereas the Four Seasons, on Howe, is not.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/CF+...4d-123.1184338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Form View Post

All pix by Built Form

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:06 AM

I think the Four Seasons site is lower in elevation so a new tower that's maxed out to the view cone limit might be taller than the Scotiabank tower. Not higher of course, but taller as measured from ground level to the roof.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:11 AM

How would you tear down the Four Seasons when it's sitting on top of Pacific Centre? I'm not saying it's not possible (not an expert anyways), but it would be very complicated. Maybe tear it down to the podium and rebuild from there, but could the podium support anything much larger that what is currently there?

A juicy rumour no doubt, not sure about how seriously to take it though. Never seen this poster before.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 7:00 AM

It should be steel frame - so easier than concrete to demolish.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 6:14 PM

I just spoke with someone from CF. I asked her if they were tearing the 4 seasons down and she quickly responded “yes”.. then back peddled and said “they are considering all their options”.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 7:43 PM

Sweet!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 9:36 PM

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 9:43 PM

Viewcones, once again, is a major bane in the high-rise development of Vancouver. I think billions of dollars would've been saved without that in place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver