HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Nile Tower Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Cairo Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 2:40 AM

CAIRO | Nile Tower | 984 FT | 70 FLOORS | Vision

Quote:
NILE TOWER HOTEL

Program:
Hotel and apartment tower

CLIENT:
Living in Interiors

SIZE:
140.000 m²

DESIGN STRATEGY:
The new Nile Tower is designed as a gracious volume that elegantly borders the Nile River in the heart of Cairo.

The main structural elements of this 70 storey hotel and apartment tower are concrete fin walls that rotate gently over the full height of the tower. The gradual rotation of the fin walls generates a wide selection of orientations for the hotel rooms and apartments. These fin walls are reflected on the external façade, giving the tower its dynamic appearance.

On the west side – overlooking the river - the tower bulges out at the upper floors to maximize the views from hotel rooms and apartments. On the east side the tower is pulled out as a triangle on the lower floors to offer maximum stability. These opposite extensions make the overall tower seemingly lean over towards the Nile.

While enhancing the perspective when looking up from the foot of the tower this geometry also makes the tower seem in motion. This seeming rotation is further enhanced by emphasizing the diagonals running along the north and south facades.The façade geometry on the west façade culminates at the lower levels in a volume overhanging the road towards the river, housing the common program of the tower. At the foot of the tower, the façade drapes down over the large column free space next to the tower footprint where it forms a continuous glass plaza.A high quality contribution to the east bank of the Nile, The Nile Tower also forms a valuable addition to the skyline of Cairo.

http://zahahadid.vm.bytemark.co.uk/w...zh_1334_01.jpg

http://zahahadid.vm.bytemark.co.uk/w...zh_1334_02.jpg

http://zahahadid.vm.bytemark.co.uk/w...zh_1334_03.jpg

http://zahahadid.vm.bytemark.co.uk/w...zh_1334_04.jpg

http://zahahadid.vm.bytemark.co.uk/w...zh_1334_05.jpg

http://zahahadid.vm.bytemark.co.uk/w...zh_1334_06.jpg

http://zahahadid.vm.bytemark.co.uk/w...zh_1334_07.jpg

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 3:01 AM
BANNED

I really like Cairo, and I hope that this gets built. I have some doubts though because Cairo is quite poor.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 3:40 AM
BANNED

It wouldn't get much better than having riverfront views of one of the most famous rivers in the world.

That said, Cairo is a dump.

These third-world banana republics are insulting skyscrapers.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 5:15 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loqy Lion View Post
It wouldn't get much better than having riverfront views of one of the most famous rivers in the world.

That said, Cairo is a dump.

These third-world banana republics are insulting skyscrapers.
What, so because they aren't teeming with expendable cash, they aren't allowed to have nice things or build classy structures once in awhile? I agree that the half a mile tall skyscrapers are ridiculous overkill and will probably never get used, but Cairo hasn't has a new skyscraper in years, and I'm sure this will get put to good use. Cairo has more citizens with money than you probably realize.

Cairo is not a dump. It's a beautiful city, with an unbelievably rich history, and this is a beautiful building that the city deserves.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Aug 17, 2011, 12:44 PM

What an elegant looking tower, great news for Cairo.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 1:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
What, so because they aren't teeming with expendable cash, they aren't allowed to have nice things or build classy structures once in awhile? I agree that the half a mile tall skyscrapers are ridiculous overkill and will probably never get used, but Cairo hasn't has a new skyscraper in years, and I'm sure this will get put to good use. Cairo has more citizens with money than you probably realize.

Cairo is not a dump. It's a beautiful city, with an unbelievably rich history, and this is a beautiful building that the city deserves.
It was said in quasi-jest.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 4:44 AM
Meh

This would be the tallest in Africa by more than 250 feet.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 18, 2011, 3:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Great, but right on what appears to be a highway?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 11:23 AM
Endless Moments...

That is awesome looking tower. Very Nice...
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2011, 1:56 PM

Good stuff, I like it!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2011, 7:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post

It's a beautiful city in terms of history and architecture (especially old Cairo) but not in terms of livability or the kind of beauty that one really appreciates when one lives there (the beauty that goes beyond the physical built environment). It needs to clean itself up a little. Beautiful cities are rarely as dirty or clogged as Cairo and they have a lot of problems with pollution and outdated emission standards.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 3:21 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 3:37 AM
BANNED

Egypt is destitute. This problem should be fixed before money is wasted on trophy towers.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects