HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 3:51 AM
Skyscraper Fan

If you were Dylan Leblanc, what changes would you do to this website?

If you were Dylan Leblanc, what changes would you do to this website?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 4:07 AM
Closed account

I know you want to see the drawers to see these, but these threads are too off topic to go in the diagrams section. Next time just post these threads in the skybar. Sorry for policing but this is very off topic for the diagrams.

Anyways I would like a remakeover of the "home" of but they are already doing that. So atthe moment nothing really.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 3:03 PM
I am a typical

If I had the money I'd get some super programmer to create a smoother and more interactive way to view and search the diagrams.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 5:42 PM
BANNED

1 billion times already exaustive said some great improvements, not necessary a repeat again from mine. Don't care anymore really.
It is his own site and he decides what he wants to be done, not us. Suggestions were never took in consideration, so... leave it as is.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 8:41 AM
Ukrainian moderator

I would translate SkyscraperPage in other languages

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 1:44 PM

I would allow that all used names for a country, a state or a city can be entered. For examle, why must I enter "United States" when I want to search structures in USA? Why can I not enter "US" or "USA"?
The same is for Great Britain, where "United Kingdom" must be entered.
A further good feature would be a permanent link to customer created structure collections whereby for each form of sort a link should exist.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 4:20 PM
I am a typical

Great Britain is just the main island, with Scotland, England and Wales. It isn't conterminous to United Kingdom. It would be neat if you could search like that, though. Similarly something like "Western Canada" to show the four western provinces, or "Southern US" to show the US south only.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 5:17 PM

That's why it would be good to have an interactive map to click on that would lead to more local interactive maps within them so you wouldn't have to type anything.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 6:24 PM
Editor

I wouldn't change that much, only a few smaller points and some suggestions I already made in some theads. In general, I think Dylan makes a good job!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 8:37 PM
Closed account

Yes dylan is a great website manager!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 9:08 PM

Cluster of states should be also choseable. We may not forget that nearly all of the tallest structures in Europe were built at cold war times. At those days Germany was divided, Czech and Slovakia formed Czechoslovakia, Serbia, Macedonia, Kosovo, Bosnia-Hercogowina, Croatia and Slovenia Yugoslavia, etc..

For Germany I would suggest that East Germany and West Germany should be choseable. West Germany consisted of states Schleswig-Holstein, Hamburg, Bremen, Lower Saxony, West-Berlin, Northrhine-Westphalia, Rhineland-Palatina, Hesse, Saarland, Baden-Württemberg, Bavaria while East Germany consisted of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, Thuringia, Brandenburg and East-Berlin.

It should also be considered that some towns were at time when a structure was built in an other state than today as result of wars.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 9:21 PM

The current political setup should be reflected, if you want a history lesson put it in the building profile.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 7:35 PM

I would make it so that you could search buildings by category of use, so that I could view only the office buildings or hotels in a given city, etc.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 9:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
I would make it so that you could search buildings by category of use, so that I could view only the office buildings or hotels in a given city, etc.
Great idea.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2010, 10:00 PM

This is very good and should be expanded

further criteria would be
* construction material
* construction type

Hereby we may not forget that an object can be built of multiple materials or consist of parts which are different types.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 11:36 PM
Skyscraper Fan

Changes

I would put in a new status mark TOPPED OUT and make it a dark green, since its the transition between BUILT and UNDER-CONSTRUCTION. I would also put APPROVED with a green-blue groundline since it's in the transition of PROPOSED and UNDER-CONSTRUCTION.

Though I got to say Dylan Leblanc really is an excellent manager and should never be replaced (except when he retires).

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 12:34 AM

Wasn't there once a photo gallery for each building? That would be a nice thing as a member to be able to upload pictures of the building to each building. but i'm sure there was probably a good reason that was removed and it's probably a lot of work and takes up a lot of HD space etc..

Another idea I had though of was to have a skyscraperpage built in(like it is with drawings) form to add a building and then hit sit and wait for approval. then to have an illustrator link that allows you to see buildings Pending Approval (). I'm guessing dylan had already thought about that one too though haha just throwing it out there

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 4:06 AM
I am a typical

I've brought up the user-submitted form and having editors simply tweak and approve it before, I think it hasn't been done because of code issues.

I don't think it is really necessary to have a separate status for topped out or approved, and making the colours only slightly different from existing ones. Emporis uses light and dark blue to separate proposed from approved, but determining the difference between what is proposed and what has been approved can be tricky. For topped out, it might be better to have "under construction (topped out)" as a subcategory instead of its own category. Leave the colour green, but include the note.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 4:33 AM
Website Manager

Lots of good suggestions here guys. I'll read through them all and take them into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamuix View Post
Wasn't there once a photo gallery for each building? That would be a nice thing as a member to be able to upload pictures of the building to each building. but i'm sure there was probably a good reason that was removed and it's probably a lot of work and takes up a lot of HD space etc..
A new image gallery is in development, no release date for it yet though, still lots to do.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 10:32 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

How about linking directly between a building's diagram page and the relevant construction thread?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Diagrams & Database > Diagrams