HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 3:30 PM

Sears and The Bay offer different styles of men's clothes and the people buying them have different perspectives wrt purchasing clothes. Those who enjoy wearing well-made, semi-expensive clothes will make the effort to go up 6 floors. Whereas those who don't care so much about what they wear will likely pick up something that they need (jeans, dress pants) when they walk past the men's section.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 5:29 PM
loafing in lotusland

If there were windows looking out, they could create a restaurant floor up there. Take advantage of the height for when people are sitting and eating, not shopping, where you don't want people to be distracted by the outside world.

I don't know if this would work there, but if marketed well, it may get more foot traffic through the store. It's the Japanese model.

Given Pacific centre's lacklustre food court, it may be a good opportunity.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 6:52 PM

Well the plan is to re do the Seymour Room into a nice restaurant on the 6th floor. I think that this can help attract people to that floor.
Top-shop and Top man being on the mall level is perfect for Pacific Centre and it will give H&M a run for their money.
@SpongeG: Major Home Fashion and electronics from the 6th will join the 5th floor. Everything on 5th right now will stay but downsize to accommodate Furniture.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 7:02 PM

Apparently Holt employees are whispering about Nordstrom's pending arrival in Vancouver. The Spot Robson and Burrard? Is it possible that they found a way to consolidate the HMV and the other shop, what was it West 49? or something like that. or maybe a Nordstrom Rack?

http://roccapuccia.com/2012/02/nords...-holt-renfrew/

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 8:17 PM

cb2 oopens in 9 days!

they tweeted a pic a couple days ago

@cb2robson

Old Posted Feb 9, 2012, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityrox View Post
Well the plan is to re do the Seymour Room into a nice restaurant on the 6th floor. I think that this can help attract people to that floor.
Is the Seymour Room the cafeteria style restaurant that is open to the showroom floor, or is it the "back room" that was the Olympic family & friends area during the games? (I seem to recall there was a separate area back there)

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 3:21 AM

Yeah. The Seymour Room is where the cafeteria restaurant is.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 6:13 AM

CB2 is having a special RSVP opening night this friday - you can sign out and check out the store before it opens to the public on saturday

http://cb2.com/rsvp

Old Posted Feb 15, 2012, 6:05 PM

I didn't realize Vancouver already had a Fisker dealership:
www.fiskerofvancouver.com

1754 W.5th, so I guess its the owners of the BMW store. Someone was driving around in a white Karma yesterday. Pure sex on wheels

Last edited by whatnext; Feb 16, 2012 at 3:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Old Posted Feb 16, 2012, 7:55 PM

BC Zellers are starting store closing sales - none for this area yet - first three are penticton, dawson creek and prince rupert in march.... stores close in june

http://www.zellers.com/liquidation/en/default.aspx

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
Would that be a very particular place which has not been built yet? I think I know where.
any idea when this news on the VS should be coming out? Pac Center, Oakridge and Metro got to be on that list....

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 5:49 AM

jacob has moved to its new location next to sears in pacific centre, its old location is vacant with no signage of whats to go in, there is also another vacant spot next to la senza - was a calendar store around christmas time

esprit is shutting down all of its canadian stores - the richmond centre store was having a big closeout sale - not much left at all - that will leave a large vacancy in metrotown in the dead part of the mall

also at richmond centre - HMV is closed and gone and empty, the food court redo is underway - only half the food court is currently open the other half is well boarded up making room for the new "terrace"

was at lansdowne mall last week and it was packed - never seen it so busy - no idea why, there are still many empty spots, but there was a new camera shop in there - i think it was broadway camera, looks like they left aberdeen and went to lansdowne...

also h-mart has opened at aberdeen, its very small but was jam packed with shoppers, the NCIX expansion has opened its not connected to the main store - but seems to be a samsung specialty shop

giordano is smaller as BC medical is taking over a lot of its space, izzue is really quite nice - they have some cool stuff, prices are a little higher but not too bad - they had some special issue dr martens - an izzue/doc martens collaboration - the whole store was about 40% off - number of shoppers inside

Old Posted Feb 17, 2012, 11:36 PM

Article on Sears' move to everyday value pricing...
(it failed for Eaton's and I expect it to fail for Sears, although Sears is keeping some sale events)

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/113...er-prices?bn=1

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 5:46 AM

sounds like they are copying JC penny

sears has the same items on sale every week - i don't get that - just keep the prices low all year round than - i look at the flyer and the sale items are pretty the same week in and week out

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 5:56 AM

went to the CB2 pre-opening party this evening, the free booze was flowing

really nice stuff, could buy out the whole store, very good pricing too, its going to do well

didn't buy anything it was just too chaotic and will go back many times i am sure to pick some things up

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 9:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Article on Sears' move to everyday value pricing...
(it failed for Eaton's and I expect it to fail for Sears, although Sears is keeping some sale events)

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/113...er-prices?bn=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
sounds like they are copying JC penny

sears has the same items on sale every week - i don't get that - just keep the prices low all year round than - i look at the flyer and the sale items are pretty the same week in and week out
Good read on why this strategy may not be the best for Sears & JC Penney:

http://www.businessweek.com/manageme...-01312012.html

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 5:43 AM

Remember 'avocado' appliances from the seventies? CB2 orange will be the 'new avocado' in far less time. Store does look good and is a welcome addition.

A couple of units have been joined for another tenant 2 doors down.

all pix by Built Form

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 6:56 AM

CB2 brings genuine interest to an otherwise blah section of Robson. Hopefully it will inspire other quality retailers to set up in this area and others. I feel that Robson has a lot of unfulfilled potential.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 8:31 PM

Old Posted Feb 23, 2012, 2:23 AM

The new No Frills 1600 W 4th opened today-somewhat smaller than the Broadway location but almost double the Alma St store.

Product mix is more or less identical-decent deals on canned & dry goods but veggies & fruit generally not worth the bother.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy