HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:53 PM

Ugh is there anyone moderating this place anymore?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
I dont know if I "like" him but I definitely do not think he's doing a bad job. However if I had a narrow view of what the city is and should be and I only cared about the interests of those who were in my specific socioeconomic group and neighborhood I might feel differently. To be frank, we have much bigger issues that street sweeping so I find it interesting that people are willing to give a mayor a failing grade largely based on lack of street sweeping.
You realize the reason why the city can't do it's job in other areas (education, etc) is because it can't keep middle class families? You know why the poverty rate stays stubbornly high in spite of strong economic growth? Because the people who can afford to leave, especially in middling neighborhoods who care about QOL issues like trash and crime...literally look around, assess what they're getting for their money (i.e. nothing), then decide to leave.

Strategies like these keep people like them in the city...which provides more money for programs for the people who need it most.

If I were the mayor, I'd be deploying this program in those neighborhoods first. Not Fairhill where people seem to have no problem throwing full bags of trash out of their car windows.

This would be full on in Mayfair, Bustleton, Rhawnhurst, etc. if I were Kenney.

Further, the reason why trash ends up in vacant lots is because it's blown from the street where it is never picked up.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
You realize the reason why the city can't do it's job in other areas (education, etc) is because it can't keep middle class families? You know why the poverty rate stays stubbornly high in spite of strong economic growth? Because the people who can afford to leave, especially in middling neighborhoods who care about QOL issues like trash and crime...literally look around, assess what they're getting for their money (i.e. nothing), then decide to leave.

Strategies like these keep people like them in the city...which provides more money for programs for the people who need it most.

If I were the mayor, I'd be deploying this program in those neighborhoods first. Not Fairhill where people seem to have no problem throwing full bags of trash out of their car windows.

This would be full on in Mayfair, Bustleton, Rhawnhurst, etc. if I were Kenney.

Further, the reason why trash ends up in vacant lots is because it's blown from the street where it is never picked up.
This captures my feelings on the issue very well.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
I’d love to know what Kenney has done that’s so horrible? Is it really about street sweeping and sugar taxes that pisses people off so much? I don’t even know why his name get brought up positive or negative he’s kind of just there. If anything people should be thrilled he actively travels around and out of the country as an ambassador to the city bringing in business. Crime rate is still an issue and drug use is still an issue but what’s worse than it was? Honest question
#101. He's increased spending in the Police Department by something like $500MM a year, and murders have gone up by 35%.

#102. He's re-opened fire houses that were previously closed due to budget cuts without demonstrating the need for them. We seem to have gotten by without them fine. Why do they need to be re-opened.

#103. He's increased real estate taxes year over year like it's his job and mandatory. He uses the increase in values as justification for the increase in taxes. No, he could have easily increased assessed values while decreasing the millage rate, thus making the increased values net neutral.

The last one in and of itself wouldn't be so bad if he used it as a mechanism to shift the burden away from business taxes which are onerous and keep people in poverty. But no, he's increased real estate taxes AND did nothing about the business tax problem.

#104. He's not resumed meaningful cuts to the wage tax in spite of near record surpluses.

He basically just spends spends spends. There is literally zero accountability amoung his department heads.

If I gave you $500MM more to spend (police), you better be damned sure I make it clear you have results. And if you don't, I'm taking my money back regardless of how draconian the results would be.

He's feckless and ineffectual. He governs on principle with nothing to back it up.

The cherry on top of it all is that the city is still a dump.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 8:52 PM
Future World Dictator

https://whyy.org/articles/how-philly...medium=twitter

Quite timely, but this is an interesting look at the history of street sweeping in Philly. I didn't know it was as limited as this article makes it sound (though it also reinforces why politicians have been hesitant to bring it back...).

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast