HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 30, 2012, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
SL Green came up with the plan as the Bloomberg administration is trying to carry on the rezoning plan of the area around Grand Central, which could give the company the right to construct a 1.4 million-square feet tower. However, Marc Holliday, SL Green's chief executive, in a conference call in July said that the company couldn't anticipate the effect of the zoning plan on the development project. "Certainly we'll have the result of the zoning amendment before we take any material step forward" on the building plan, said Mr.Holliday.
So, the SL Green Realty Corp has now 1.2 million-square feet from the 41 E. 42nd site. The company can buy rights (1.4 million-square feet) from Grand Central, with a total of 2.6 million-square feet for the new giant office tower, is right?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2012, 6:14 AM
New Yorker for life

You're confusing things. The only thing we know right now is that they intend to build a signature skyscraper on the skyline. They say its too early to discuss the specifics, so just go with that.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
There will be no height limits. It's all a matter of design. This tower in particular will be a trophy tower, not as practical as a typical office tower would be. Expect something a little flashy.
No height limit as in no height limit whatsoever, or no height limit as in no height limit set by the city, but still capped off at the American height limit of 2000 ft? It would be truly amazing if this thing was 2000+ ft tall!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 4:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSpire2000 View Post
No height limit as in no height limit whatsoever, or no height limit as in no height limit set by the city, but still capped off at the American height limit of 2000 ft? It would be truly amazing if this thing was 2000+ ft tall!
No height limit means no height limit. Obviously they aren't going to build a 3,000 ft tower at this location.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 9:17 PM

Here it is! From the rough sketches it definitely looks good. Very BofA-ish. Be more of a fan if the crown isn't open and a different material than the tower I think.

REIT unveils, names its massive new Midtown tower
December 03, 2012 04:00PM

"The city’s largest office landlord, SL Green Realty, released sketches today for its planned office tower, to be known as 1 Vanderbilt.

The company hired architectural firm Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates to design the 1.55-million-square-foot building, which would be located on Midtown’s East Side in an area where the city is considering a zoning change to allow for taller and bulkier structures.

Isaac Zion, company co-chief investment officer, said the building as designed will not be financially feasible without the full 30 floor area ratio, which could be achieved only through the rezoning. The project is planned for a small block located jest east of Grand Central Terminal, bounded by 42nd and 43rd streets and Vanderbilt and Madison avenues, where SL Green now controls all the properties.

The designs were released at SL Green’s annual investor conference."

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Here it is! From the rough sketches it definitely looks good. Very BofA-ish. Be more of a fan if the crown isn't open and a different material than the tower I think.

"The city’s largest office landlord, SL Green Realty, released sketches today for its planned office tower, to be known as 1 Vanderbilt.

The company hired architectural firm Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates to design the 1.55-million-square-foot building, which would be located on Midtown’s East Side in an area where the city is considering a zoning change to allow for taller and bulkier structures.

Isaac Zion, company co-chief investment officer, said the building as designed will not be financially feasible without the full 30 floor area ratio, which could be achieved only through the rezoning. The project is planned for a small block located jest east of Grand Central Terminal, bounded by 42nd and 43rd streets and Vanderbilt and Madison avenues, where SL Green now controls all the properties.

The designs were released at SL Green’s annual investor conference."
Another huge tower for NY, looks to be about 450M/1470FT to the pinacle of the spire.

Last edited by Eidolon; Dec 3, 2012 at 10:33 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post

At first I thought it WAS the BofA tower. WAY to similar. And the building in the foreground makes this one look smaller than what they have been calling for. Just my initial impression. Cannot wait to see more detailed renderings.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 9:48 PM

i like it, i always get confused with the street names lol like the article talks about 42nd and 43rd but then the thread is 41 and 42 lol confusing, and any ideas on height?

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 10:05 PM
New Yorker for life

Boy, they are really moving fast with this, considering they can't build for 5 years.

Quote:

I know its early, but I like that we are getting a spire here. Also, they're pushing for height, and I expected a lot of space at the top of the tower. Looks like it will complement both the Chrysler and the BofA towers.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 10:19 PM
BANNED

The conceptual renders were far more futuristic than this, and far more iconic. This is a rather retro design and is too similar to other NY towers. The architect seems to be trying to be contextual by trying to fit in with the Chrysler, etc. I'd prefer a statement that looks toward the future not the past. The slanted tower was far more impressive.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 10:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The conceptual renders were far more futuristic than this, and far more iconic. This is a rather retro design and is too similar to other NY towers. The architect seems to be trying to be contextual by trying to fit in with the Chrysler, etc. I'd prefer a statement that looks toward the future not the past. The slanted tower was far more impressive.
Well, I'd say it's more of the concept than what the actual tower will look like, and it is like a marriage of the Chrysler and BofA. But you get the idea. Also keep in mind that iconic design is what would allow this tower to be built. In other words, it has to be impressive enough to Amanda Burden and company, or whoever will replace her in the future. These are the people who knocked the Tower Verre down a couple of pegs because the top wasn't impressive enough. Don't think they're just going to allow any old thing here.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 10:51 PM

If a five year wait translates to how long it must take before everyone gets on board with this rezoning plan, then so be it.
Basically, from what I understand about the whole process, three civic groups are pressuring Cuomo to either delay or stop it based on the damage that Sandy did...which incidentally makes zero sense because the storm hit Manhattan quite a distance away from the area in question, never mind the fact that a storm like that occurs maybe once in a few decades and follows a path that few can accurately determine.

All that said, my fingers are crossed to their fracturing points for this baby to rise. It reminds me of Mr. Libeskind's original Freedom Tower design, but with decidedly more sensible proportions. The overall dimensions of the open-air latticework IMO will create an iconic presence; plus it goes a good way towards relieving me of the notion that this is little more than a Chrysler/BofA lovechild.

What I would *really* love to see is a CGI image of this tower from a multitude of perspectives, as pedestrian-view drawings like these convey a generally bad idea of what *really* is on display. Facade treatment in this regard will be most revealing (i.e. not *necessarily* make-or-break, but approaching that criterion IMO). Close-ups of the top (detail, construction materials) are something to look forward to as well.

My sole concern is geometry. Perhaps what should have been done instead of the diamondesque shaping that BofA, HY North & Coach, *and* 200G already demonstrate, is a pointed ellipse like L.A.'s Gas Company tower. *That* would've been impressive, as NYC in general is lacking in generally circular or ovular design.

Last edited by JayPro; Dec 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 11:12 PM

I just saw this on Curbed and came running here.

I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting something EPIC for this project, by what they were talking about. Well, for this "rendering", apparently the building does not look like more than 400 meters. But anyway the design is great, though I was expecting something more icon here. But I liked it, just think it could be better.

The problem is to wait 5 years to see something start to be built here. Until then I'll distract myself with other projects: 432 Park Avenue, and 225 west 57th street.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reencharles View Post
I just saw this on Curbed and came running here.

I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting something EPIC for this project, by what they were talking about. Well, for this "rendering", apparently the building does not look like more than 400 meters. But anyway the design is great, though I was expecting something more icon here. But I liked it, just think it could be better.

The problem is to wait 5 years to see something start to be built here. Until then I'll distract myself with other projects: 432 Park Avenue, and 225 west 57th street.
According to RobertWalpole this isn't the final product since approval is required. http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=299

But yeah, when this starts in 5 years time we certainly will have had alot of other supertall activity like finishing off the WTC Complex, Hudson Yards, Torre Verre, Girasole and Manhattan West to name just a few, not to mention the many supertalls that will be revealed during the next 5 years.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 11:27 PM

I'm a bit disapointed by the design, looks like any new office tower being built these days except taller and with a spire. But again it's still in the conceptual phase so hopefully there'll be some modifications.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2012, 11:32 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
If a five year wait translates to how long it must take before everyone gets on board with this rezoning plan, then so be it.
The rezoning will be put in place by the summer. The City is requiring the 5 year period before anything can be built to give the Hudson Yards district the jump start. But already this stands out as one of the more high profile of the Midtown "proper" office buildings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reencharles View Post
I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting something EPIC for this project, by what they were talking about.
I don't know exactly what you were expecting, but this is still a concept of what they are planning. It's not the final design, but an idea. They are moving fast with the planning, but those sketches are just that.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 1:53 AM
World Machine

You have to take a conceptual sketch for what it is . . . a concept. With that said, I think it's neat to see a visualization of what could be.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 2:18 AM

it's very preliminary. Many things will change before construction even begins. Including height and design.
KPF and Related didn't even release the final renders and details for Phase I of the Hudson Yards before around a month ago and construction begins this year.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 2:22 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

So, nobody's asked the obvious question; what's the other tower in the rendering?

edit:Nevermind, it's 500 5th ave.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2012, 2:48 AM

The top portion looks similar to the old freedom tower design. However I doubt this is the final design.
I like the design but it should be at least taller than 225 57th street.

Last edited by NYC GUY; Dec 4, 2012 at 3:39 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive