HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 9:31 PM

Here's the full length and a better resolution version of the video:

http://www.sfmoma.org/our_expansion/...pansion_design

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 10:48 PM
Droppin' Loads

Wow...love it

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 11:12 PM

Very exciting! Can't wait to see some dirt moving in 2013.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 11:23 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I am very happy with where this is headed. Much better than I had even hoped for after seeing the massing illustrations.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 4:59 AM

This was in the Chronicle a few weeks ago.
http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-11-1...-leo-villareal

Here is a video of how it will look. Reminds me of the light show on the Eiffel Tower.http://vimeo.com/25870560

WEBSITE
Quote:
Bay Lights to honor Bay Bridge's 75th anniversary
November 10, 2011|Michael Cabanatuan, Chronicle Staff Writer

It's not the frosting on the cake that says "Happy Birthday"; it's the flickering lights of the candles. In that spirit, the Bay Bridge, which turns a distinguished 75 years old Saturday, could be transformed into a sprawling abstract light sculpture next year as part of an extended celebration.

Bridge officials and arts aficionados will announce plans for the Bay Lights at a low-key Bay Bridge birthday celebration this morning on Treasure Island. The $7 million project, which is working its way through the Caltrans approval process, will be privately funded.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 6:25 PM

That is going to be fantastic! Any word on when it will be installed?
Also, will it just be on the outside so it doesn't distract drivers?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
That is going to be fantastic! Any word on when it will be installed?
Also, will it just be on the outside so it doesn't distract drivers?
They are going to place the LED lights on the outside of the bridge, away from traffic. They are suppose to be in place for the 75th "Diamond" Anniversary and stay up until the new East Span of the bridge opens. They will be viewable from the northeastern side of San Francisco, so no lights on the south cables. It's also suppose to be privately funded.

Last edited by San Frangelino; Dec 2, 2011 at 10:40 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 5:56 PM

The new Target at the Metreon will break ground next month. The rest of the renovation is still in full swing. Last time I walked by there, the construction crew were installing new glass panels at street level. Looking great!

Quote:
San Francisco’s long-awaited Target store is expected to be open for business by October, with construction beginning in January.

The Target is planned for the Metreon Center, in South of Market. Target will begin renovating the building’s interior this winter, after the property owner, the Westfield Group, completes its portion of the construction, Target spokeswoman Mya Walters said.
Source and remainder of article: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2011...-october-debut

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 5:15 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

The coming Target will further expand the range of SF's commercial core--we've got the high-end, and now, we're getting more middle as well. That's a good thing--people will shop at Target no matter what, so it might as well be a Target in the shopping district, eh?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 7:25 AM

1977 - good news. With a Target downtown the Target advertisement in my Sunday Chronicle paper will have some meaning at last!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
The coming Target will further expand the range of SF's commercial core--we've got the high-end, and now, we're getting more middle as well. That's a good thing--people will shop at Target no matter what, so it might as well be a Target in the shopping district, eh?
Yeah I guess so, that makes me feel a little better about it.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 12:57 AM

Speaking of more affordable shopping...

Does anyone know the status of the CityPlace shopping center on Market between 6th and 7th? Last I heard financing was still being sought but wasn't sure if there was any recent news or progress.

Here's a rendering:

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 2:39 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
Speaking of more affordable shopping...
Does anyone know the status of the CityPlace shopping center on Market between 6th and 7th? Last I heard financing was still being sought but wasn't sure if there was any recent news or progress.
IMO, this is where Target belonged, not in the Metreon. CityPlace looks like a beautiful project that fits the streetscape and would greatly benefit Market Street.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
IMO, this is where Target belonged, not in the Metreon. CityPlace looks like a beautiful project that fits the streetscape and would greatly benefit Market Street.
Agreed! I really hope CityPlace moves forward though. It will eat up a huge chunk of blight on that block which, might I add, is LONG overdue.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 5:24 AM

Last thing I saw was from a couple of weeks ago...the broker, developer and city were all not returning phone calls about the project. Not a good sign.

Haven't word about the status of the financing after the original mortgage holder went belly-up.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BUOT1M70LE.DTL

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 8:07 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboy View Post
Last thing I saw was from a couple of weeks ago...the broker, developer and city were all not returning phone calls about the project. Not a good sign.

Haven't word about the status of the financing after the original mortgage holder went belly-up.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...BUOT1M70LE.DTL
If the Redevelopment Agengy and the City had their acts together, the Metreon could have largly been given over to Moscone Center for much needed fabulous break out space and Target could have launched CityPlace. We so often don't get it right here, which has been a problem for decades.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
If the Redevelopment Agengy and the City had their acts together, the Metreon could have largly been given over to Moscone Center for much needed fabulous break out space and Target could have launched CityPlace. We so often don't get it right here, which has been a problem for decades.
I think blaming the city and the redevelopment agency on the issues with CityPlace is a bit of a stretch. I worked for one of the impacted locations when the Metreon/Moscone swap was discussed. There were significant, almost insurmountable infrastructure costs in that scenario, as well as some significant loss of park space for YB Gardens that were deemed unacceptable from a public amenities perspective.

CityPlace's original developer was also an 'interloper' from the Deep South/Sunbelt, where bulldoze and build is the operating development paradigm. He was neither prepared for, nor able to, deal with the blood sport that is development in this city

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 11:43 PM

Avalon Bay/Whole Foods project on Ocean Avenue. The first building was unwrapped recently.

[IMG] IMG00807 by pseudolus1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Mostly stucco (the white), a bit of wood siding (light green), terra cotta around the window insets, gray stone tiles (granite?) on the first floor.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2012, 3:03 AM
testify

well, the market street lane access for the underground parking was pretty much never going to happen (obvious and good), meaning that anchor retail would be significantly more difficult to obtain. one wishes that the (out of town) developers here would be a little bit more creative.

Last edited by flight_from_kamakura; Jan 2, 2012 at 3:20 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2012, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
well, the market street lane access for the underground parking was pretty much never going to happen (obvious and good)
There was never a request for market street lane access for the underground parking. The access to the underground parking was to be from the alley Stevenson St.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations