HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 1:54 PM

^ I hope those "prospective stores" they listed weren't the only options. Just more middling stores.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 3:39 PM

Of course I put Apple as a store I would love to see. Not really even into the product line. I just know my little vote may contribute to considerable foot traffic one day. Thank you for posting the link.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 5:23 PM

Well, there is a thing in the paper that says the big dogs are trying to get a Apple downtown.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2010, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Well, there is a thing in the paper that says the big dogs are trying to get a Apple downtown.
What paper? No way Apple would go anywhere but Midtown.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
Well, it was in the Atlanta Business Chronicle that said they was hoping they would get one, but who knows. They already got about half of of dozen of the dang things around here.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily... it's exclusively a rent-based decision, as store in Downtown would draw from the same customer base as one in Midtown. Plus, Downtown is much more centrally located to GSU, Tech, and AUC.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Nov 11, 2010, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
Not necessarily... it's exclusively a rent-based decision, as store in Downtown would draw from the same customer base as one in Midtown. Plus, Downtown is much more centrally located to GSU, Tech, and AUC.
Apple is the last company to make a "rent-based" decision. They always choose the choicest real estate.

Whether the economy is strong enough to add another Apple store to ATL I don't know.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2010, 6:30 PM

Well, what is wrong with Downtown. That is where you have all your students whose mamas and daddies are buying all the apples and whatnot.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 6:57 AM

Interesting I googled for any information on Peachtree Cntr and the Mac Store and retail. Nothing on that but did run across two different architectural illustration firms that have done full sets of renderings (apparently working from the same architectural plans). Showing a complete redo of the Peachtree facing stretch of the Center. All the lobbies from the towers getting revamped with new 2-story retail, and a processional entrance into more retail in the main courtyard and tying it all more into the mall below. Interesting - so maybe they're really about to do a major remodeling - it would make sense then to try to land a landmark Apple store.

Here's one portfolio of renderings: http://www.cmblechar.com/Peachtree.html

And some other's from another illustrator: http://www.kurtstruve.com/architectural.html (look at the thumbnail bar below the main picture and then scroll over until your curser reads "Peachtree"

Those last images also show up on the developer's website for Village Solutions with more info on the project. http://www.villagesolutionscompany.com/portfolio.html (look under Mixed Use/Peachtree Center) I can't help but notice too, that same company is doing a studio for Fairlie Poplar.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2010, 5:12 AM

Peachtree Redesign Status

I'm not sure what the status of the Peachtree redevelopment is. I worked on that project when I worked for Commarts, as did Chris Blechar, the other portfolio site you mentioned. Mind you, this was over two years ago, and it may have gone the way of so many projects with this recession: killed, delayed indefinitely, or scaled way back in scope.

You can see the project in a much earlier state of design on Dennis Allain's site: http://www.dennisallain.com/work/2008/06.html, even though it isn't named by name, this is Peachtree.

Kurt Struve
www.kurtstruve.com

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 12:12 AM

If I'm not mistaken, the company that announced "big changes" were in store when they bought Peachtree center had to sell basically everything they owned after the real estate collapse. I do hope the new owner revives those renovation plans at some point.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2010, 12:23 AM

An article in the Business Chronicle briefly mentions that there will be more restaurants retail announcements at 12th and Midtown within the next 30 to 60 days.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
An article in the Business Chronicle briefly mentions that there will be more restaurants retail announcements at 12th and Midtown within the next 30 to 60 days.
That's good news. Also more good news... STK has finally filed a building permit with the city to begin interior construction of the space.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2011, 5:45 PM

It's depressing to look at the retail south of 10th street.

Spire retail is pretty much all gone except for F2O.

Viewpoint is essentially gone. No way SCIC or CLEAR can survive.

There's not foot traffic further south at 805 or across the street.

I think it will get worse before it gets better. The more shops close, the less of a destination it becomes.

Maybe the area near CB2 will do better.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
It's depressing to look at the retail south of 10th street.

Spire retail is pretty much all gone except for F2O.

Viewpoint is essentially gone. No way SCIC or CLEAR can survive.

There's not foot traffic further south at 805 or across the street.

I think it will get worse before it gets better. The more shops close, the less of a destination it becomes.

Maybe the area near CB2 will do better.
It depresses me too. There is no foot traffic because there isn't really anything to walk to over there. It's not like people don't live around that area. Apparently Five Guys is opening in Spire and I always thought a Chipotle would do well over in that area. Yeah, I know, chains but they seem to do better than most independent establishments right now. That area really could use more dining options. As a Midtown resident, I would walk over there if there were places worth going to.

Oh, and hasn't it been 60 days since that Business Chronicle article? I thought they were going to announce some retail around CB2? The suspense is killing me

Old Posted Feb 11, 2011, 1:53 AM

I would take a Chipotle over that godawful Moes.

I read where Billy Reid did well with that pop-up store and wants to come to Midtown. Not sure how successful they would be the other 11 months of the year.

Speaking of CB2 they really need a neighbor. Driving by Tue night I spotted ZERO customers inside.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 4:52 AM

From What Now, Atlanta? -

Expert busts the Midtown Mile Myth

The post title is a touch misleading, as he never makes reference to exactly what myth he's referring to, let alone do any busting of it. I suspect that What Now's author picked the post title out without even reading what the guest author wrote. And there's really nothing there that anyone who's paying attention doesn't already know. The comments are interesting, though.

By the way, what was originally planned for the site directly north of the Loew's hotel? The one with all the disused construction trailers still sitting on it.

Forgot to add: At least a couple of commenters mentioned the Peachtree/Pine shelter as having a negative effect on the pedestrian experience in the Midtown Mile. I'm not sure what to think about that. It's a pretty good walk from Pine Street all the way to say, 10th.

I live in "SoNo" really close to Peachtree/Pine I and work downtown, so I'm used to seeing a lot of homeless people. Homeless people in that part of midtown seem very sparse by comparison. I guess I'm just wondering if I've become so used to seeing dozens of homeless people every day that homeless people in lower concentrations don't even register with me any more OR if some people are so unaccustomed to seeing homeless people that the sight of just a few makes them think that the homeless people are taking over.

Last edited by PedestriAnne; Feb 19, 2011 at 5:10 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I'm pretty sure it's been 60 days. What happened?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 8:00 PM

Your guess is as good as mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post

The post title is a touch misleading, as he never makes reference to exactly what myth he's referring to, let alone do any busting of it. I suspect that What Now's author picked the post title out without even reading what the guest author wrote. And there's really nothing there that anyone who's paying attention doesn't already know. The comments are interesting, though.

By the way, what was originally planned for the site directly north of the Loew's hotel? The one with all the disused construction trailers still sitting on it.
At one time there were plans for a development somewhat similar to 12th & Midtown and there were even signs on the property with renderings of the project.

Edit: Wait, You did say North didn't you. That would be the next phase of 12th & Midtown

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Feb 20, 2011 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post

Forgot to add: At least a couple of commenters mentioned the Peachtree/Pine shelter as having a negative effect on the pedestrian experience in the Midtown Mile. I'm not sure what to think about that. It's a pretty good walk from Pine Street all the way to say, 10th.

I live in "SoNo" really close to Peachtree/Pine I and work downtown, so I'm used to seeing a lot of homeless people. Homeless people in that part of midtown seem very sparse by comparison. I guess I'm just wondering if I've become so used to seeing dozens of homeless people every day that homeless people in lower concentrations don't even register with me any more OR if some people are so unaccustomed to seeing homeless people that the sight of just a few makes them think that the homeless people are taking over.
Does anyone know anything about Pittsburgh's "must develop" laws? I live in Midtown. It will never be anything with all the surface parking lots and empty lots.

If I hear how "wise" it is for "The Dew" to be cautious one more time...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta