HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 1:18 AM

The SATX just keep improving at such a astounding rate, so instead of world class, everyone will start referring to it as maybe galaxy glass or universe class?! I guess being world class is good enough. (For now!)

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 3:49 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Alright gentlemen. Let’s return to the topic at hand.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
There ought to be a blog to showcase architectural renderings that are bizarre/divorced from reality. Or maybe it's just designed for people with very unique rear ends. Regardless, very happy to see the Burns building revived, I'm sure it'll be great.
Maybe the bench design isn’t divorced from reality, but in fact very tuned into the reality of benches in urban settings, and intentionally designed for sitting, but not sleeping.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 7:05 PM
JACKinBeantown

That was my guess, but it seems they could make it sleep-proof yet still more comfortable than that looks.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2018, 7:06 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdev View Post
Maybe the bench design isn’t divorced from reality, but in fact very tuned into the reality of benches in urban settings, and intentionally designed for sitting, but not sleeping.
To me it looks like the guy is literally sitting on the pointy tip of a triangle, which doesn't seem like a very comfortable place to sit.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2018, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Who argued that?
It was part of the citizens to be heard. She represented a group but I hadn't heard of it before and don't remember it now. The commissioners pretty much brushed it aside, asking the developers if it could be reversed if a traffic apocalypse ensued. It can, as long as the trees are compact enough to not need to go into the actual ground, but they were open to having that happen as well.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2018, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2008 View Post
it was part of the citizens to be heard. She represented a group but i hadn't heard of it before and don't remember it now. The commissioners pretty much brushed it aside, asking the developers if it could be reversed if a traffic apocalypse ensued. It can, as long as the trees are compact enough to not need to go into the actual ground, but they were open to having that happen as well.

“San Antonio’s parking lots are unique and historical!!!”

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 9:11 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
There are lots of places I'd like to see parklets downtown where there is currently on-street parking:

1. Pretty much every block emanating from Main Plaza.

2. Anything within a block of the Alamo, especially Crockett between the Riverwalk and the Alamo.

3. East Commerce and East Market have on-street parking from which some could be turned into parklets with Food Truck spaces between them. This would extend the Riverwalk's vitality and create a quasi - open-air-market.

4. Some blocks along the Riverwalk should have parklets instead of their current on-street parking so as to keep foot traffic lingering once they leave the River level: Grayson, Jones, 9th, Lexington, Convent, Pecan, Travis, Presa on the south of the bend, Villita, and South Alamo currently or will soon have restaurants or establishments on the street level that would benefit from that foot traffic. The developers of vacant lots adjacent to the river could also take note of this strategy on other streets to activate the street level experience adjacent to the river.

5. This strategy might have been even more effective for activating the area around San Pedro Creek, as not much will be built on the Creek level itself, except for the fact that most the streets do not have on-street parking within a block of the bridge.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Last edited by wwmiv; Sep 24, 2018 at 9:28 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 9:42 PM

CPS Energy officially putting DT properties on the market:

https://therivardreport.com/cps-ener...s-up-for-sale/

I wonder what will become of these.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2018, 10:57 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
CPS Energy officially putting DT properties on the market:

https://therivardreport.com/cps-ener...s-up-for-sale/

I wonder what will become of these.
I would hope that Tower Life buys the rest of their parking garage, that the City or some other government entity or quasi-governmental organization/nonprofit buys the Villita Assembly Building, and that the current two office buildings are renovated to be residential with a series of river level retail (not restaurants and bars, but retail -- its time to diversify what is on the Riverwalk). The parking lot by the Mexican Consulate could be a great Flatiron-style building.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 4:55 PM
looking at plans...

I know this isn't the same as the Villita Assembly Bldg., but is there any info about a project at 112 Villita St.?

I'm looking at something called Villita Street Tower & Garage:

"Project Description:
This project is a 24-story above grade high-rise residential apartment building comprised of ground floor lobby/Retail, 5 levels of above grade structured parking across the street... comprised of (226) residential apartments. The project is scheduled to start 1st quarter of 2019."

Old Posted Sep 26, 2018, 4:57 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack View Post
I know this isn't the same as the Villita Assembly Bldg., but is there any info about a project at 112 Villita St.?

I'm looking at something called Villita Street Tower & Garage:

"Project Description:
This project is a 24-story above grade high-rise residential apartment building comprised of ground floor lobby/Retail, 5 levels of above grade structured parking across the street... comprised of (226) residential apartments. The project is scheduled to start 1st quarter of 2019."
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=220995

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 12:05 AM
James

They must be getting that design out soon... 1st quarter of 2019??

Old Posted Sep 27, 2018, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
They must be getting that design out soon... 1st quarter of 2019??
I don’t know, that one on Villita always seemed like a stretch to me.

Although I admit I was also skeptical that the Thompson would ever get built, so who knows.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 4:47 PM

GrayStreet strikes again!

https://saheron.com/graystreet-partn...ding-property/

"GrayStreet Partners has purchased the Cadillac Bar and the land that surrounds it — a collection of law offices and parking lots known as Stumberg Square— at 212 S. Flores St."

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
GrayStreet strikes again!

https://saheron.com/graystreet-partn...ding-property/

"GrayStreet Partners has purchased the Cadillac Bar and the land that surrounds it — a collection of law offices and parking lots known as Stumberg Square— at 212 S. Flores St."

I BELIEVE there is an agenda here!!! THANK YOU GrayStreet Partners!!!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 11:34 PM

"The circa-1906 Book Building on Houston Street and a cluster of neighboring historic structures are being eyed for a $36 million redevelopment, according to a permit filed with the state."

https://saheron.com/book-building-ne...redevelopment/

Unfortunately this article doesn't answer a lot of questions, but I'm hopeful that they won't knock anything down.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 5:17 AM

Quote:
"The circa-1906 Book Building on Houston Street and a cluster of neighboring historic structures are being eyed for a $36 million redevelopment, according to a permit filed with the state."

https://saheron.com/book-building-ne...redevelopment/

Unfortunately this article doesn't answer a lot of questions, but I'm hopeful that they won't knock anything down.
VERY INTERESTING!!!!
yes , let's hope they keep the historical buildings up, and build vertical above them!
After all SA is a UNIQUE, and BEAUTIFUL and HISTORICAL CITY!!!

NOT a CLICHE American city!!!

Last edited by AwesomeSAView; Nov 18, 2018 at 5:31 AM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 2:16 PM

Quote:
The filing with TDLR does say historic preservation and
“Remodel of existing historic building and restorative of existing facade”

That’s an interesting cluster of properties, and 36 million sounds like a risky bet for not making some significant changes. I wouldn’t be surprised if what’s left of the solo-serve building is demolished. Maybe they leave the Book building and the facades on Soledad, and something goes up on that area from Soledad to the river?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 5:49 PM

The Veramendi building is 2 stories at the street and grows to 7 stories at the river, so there's a lot of square footage in place. The project name is "Veramendi House". There's no mention of new construction, just remodel.

I like that cluster of buildings and I hope they stay.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio