HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:02 PM
Your 2016 AAC Champs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo the Great View Post
Whoa big fella , calm down a tad ...... I personally liken most of these posts to a performance by señor Wences ...... somewhat
enjoyable , somewhat irritating .
Please do not confuse my statement with trying to tell you how to think . If anything , deleting the posted comments might be
more affective than going for the throat ......

...... But thats just me , so allow me to quote , " who knows but that , on the lower levels , I speak for you ? "
Oh no, he flat out ignored my prior warning to cut out the city v. city stuff in a different thread. That was very very very disrespectful of him.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I
One question sports fans, do you think Drexel would be 100% on board with basically having Amazon completely take over what had been their plans for a very much multi use community? Without SY's space, Drexel might start feeling boxed in again.
It's an interesting question.

I'd have to think as the secondary education market could be heading for some difficult times w/ the rising costs vs. value debate (isn't Drexel $60k!?!?) - having a key differentiator to why your school is more valuable/worth the price of admission will be really important. What's a better sell to kids and parents - beside the superficial visual improvement to the built space - then having one of the worlds largest tech companies literally sharing your campus?

Also, doesn't Drexel own the land outright and is partnering with BRT for development? Imagine what this could mean for Drexel's bottom line? 8mm square feet is some serious rent checks. I mean, they'd be one of the most valuable land owners in the region! Funneling that $$ back into higher ed/research/student aid would be a boon.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIII View Post

People, friends; we mostly love Philadelphia; but what more can we do to help this deal get done? Views are good and we all have them but now I wonder; what more can we do; for I prefer work and action.
I agree. What can we do to get Amazon to notice this? Anyone have any ideas?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:17 PM

Exclamation Daario - BS WALKS - Money talks

Daario - BS WALKS - Money talks

To Daario or whatever your name is please read the above statement and see if you don't completely understand it or go back to first grade

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:38 PM

Quote:

People, friends; we mostly love Philadelphia; but what more can we do to help this deal get done? Views are good and we all have them but now I wonder; what more can we do; for I prefer work and action.
From what I've read about this, it almost sounds as though Amazon had Schuylkill Yards in mind when they set out their requirements. We check just about every box. I don't know of any other city that has planned and is beginning all the procedural steps toward building an 8 million sf development that is essentially speculative. In my mind, it's ours to lose.
The box that we don't check so well is the pro-business environment box. So they will be looking for tax breaks and other incentives, which if they don't get from Philly, they'll get from another city. Some people call that corporate welfare. I call that a symptom of a sickly system that needs to be overhauled so that the Amazons of the world don't need additional incentives to locate here. So let's do that. Let's throw out the entitled and small-minded city council members that obstruct development in the name of pandering to small pockets of people who keep them in office, or at the very least threaten to do so so that they will see which way the wind is blowing. Let's elect pro-development city council members who will rewrite the tax code of the city and do away with as many obstructions as possible. When Center City and University City do well, Philadelphia does well. A rising tide lifts all ships.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:40 PM

I just had a cool thought about Amazon's HQ2: if Amazon did end up choosing Philadelphia, then what if they decided to move to the North Station District instead of Schuylkill Yards?

If Amazon ended up choosing Philly, then they would choose Schuylkill Yards with almost absolute certainty; nevertheless, imagine the wonders that having Amazon at Broad and Indiana would do. Such a move would most likely kick North Philly's revitalization into overdrive. Every parcel in South Kensington, Francisville, and Brewerytown would likely be filled. After that, we'd likely see revitalization in Strawberry Mansion, the non-student areas of Templetown/Cecil B. Moore, the non-PHA portion of Sharswood, Hartranft, Nicetown, and even parts of Germantown. Lehigh Avenue would become a vital mixed-use corridor and densify as a primary transit node; Glenwood Avenue would most likely have the same thing going on. The BSL's North Philadelphia stop would almost be forced to see express service again, and SEPTA would most likely have to lengthen the platforms at North Broad. Amtrak and NJT would undoubtedly start stopping at North Philadelphia a lot more often.

Being located in University City, next to Penn and Drexel, steps from Center City, and next to 30th Street Station is obviously a lot better than being located at Broad and Indiana; however, North Philly would literally be transformed if Amazon located at the North Station District.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Oh no, he flat out ignored my prior warning to cut out the city v. city stuff in a different thread. That was very very very disrespectful of him.

Okay , I guess that is your call , and entitled to it . Certainly not looking to promote world war over the parameters of thread
educate . I stand guilty of opinions not excepted by members of this thread as much as anyone else . My concern is about what
is and what is not considered debatable arguments .
Please don't ask me to go back and read the guidelines for posting here , I'm too old , too tired and too illiterate to retain any
thing before or after this mornings breakfast .

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:44 PM

Quote:
I think people can generate buzz for Philly by generating content. Infographs, youtube videos ... yeah the city should be doing that stuff too but residents are just as creative

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:46 PM

All anybody has to do is show Amazon the Schuylkill Yards marketing video/film. Great video!

http://www.schuylkillyards.com/

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
All anybody has to do is show Amazon the Schuylkill Yards marketing video/film. Great video!

http://www.schuylkillyards.com/
Honestly, if I was a potential tenant, that video would sell it to me in a heartbeat. Hopefully Bezos will watch it.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Honestly, if I was a potential tenant, that video would sell it to me in a heartbeat. Hopefully Bezos will watch it.
They should show them the Schuylkill Yards marketing video, and the 30th Street District Marketing video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpEInvJ56GE

Literally EVERYTHING they're looking for and more wrapped up into two videos.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:15 PM

Can you all imagine what 50k new people from Amazon will do for University City and the surrounding areas? I sure hope that our leaders can sell this once in a lifetime partnership with Amazon (one of the most valuable market cap companies in the world).

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
It's an interesting question.

Also, doesn't Drexel own the land outright and is partnering with BRT for development? Imagine what this could mean for Drexel's bottom line?
Just a couple of days ago, distant history it seems, Brandywine purchased a building at 30th. & Market St. that is part of the plan for SY's. Who knows what legal name will be on the deed, or what arrangements have been made.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Just a couple of days ago, distant history it seems, Brandywine purchased a building at 30th. & Market St. that is part of the plan for SY's. Who knows what legal name will be on the deed, or what arrangements have been made.
I have a really good feeling about this.

I really do.

I feel like we're such a natural top contender. The next city is not even close, especially if you compare assets with cost of living.

It's probably getting more difficult for them to attract talent to Seattle because of cost of living. The average home price is all of a sudden close to $600K. That's where we have the other East Coast majors beat.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
I am not sure that 30th street district is contingent on SY being completed, but I will defer.
So if Amazon takes the bulk of Schuylkill Yards, will Vanguard join the party and take the bulk of 30th Street District? Just a thought.
My understanding is that 30th Street is contingent on the cost of land going sky high in the area, which would be largely due to high density from SY and, to a lesser degree, uCity Square. Basically the more valuable the land around 30th Street becomes, the sooner you can start building up the 30th Street plan. Amazon in SY would definitely push that along.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:44 PM
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I have a really good feeling about this.

I really do.

I feel like we're such a natural top contender. The next city is not even close, even if you compare assets with cost of living.

It's probably getting more difficult for them to attract talent to Seattle because of cost of living. The average home price is all of a sudden close to $600K. That's where we have the other East Coast majors beat.
I'd really, really, really love to agree with you. Don't think we have the industry infrastructure to attract a major corporate HQ. Yes, Comcast is here, but who else? This is dated, but check out this list of Fortune 500 locations...

Even freakin' Jacksonville has more than Philly! Yes, talent pools, tax incentives, transit connectivity, geography, etc. are all important factors... but the presence of other large corporations will be important too.

I hope I'm wrong.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:46 PM

All we have to do is show Amazon the marketing videos for Schuylkill Yards:
Schuylkill Yards - Where Ideas Converge

And the 30th Street Station District:
Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpEInvJ56GE

...literally EVERYTHING they're looking for and more, wrapped up into two videos.

Space could easily be shifted around in Schuylkill Yards. It's a 7 million square foot development, with currently only 3 million in office space. Could shift 1 million of residential to office space, and boom, there is 4 million square feet of office space which could be built in a few years...

Amazon wants a build out of 8 million square feet in 9 years. We could build 4 million in 4 years.

We could also take the Cira II site, and build a one million square foot tower. That's 5 million in 5 years.

Lastly, 5 years would be plenty of time to get everything together for the first Phase or 2 of the 30th Street Station plan. 5 years is more than enough time to get that together, cap the yards, and allow for 3 million more square feet of office space to be built out over the final 4 years to meet their 9 year deadline.

This could EASILY be done in 9 years. Amazon doesn't want suburban, they want URBAN. The RFP says urban/downtown location. With their recent urban/downtown campus built in Seattle, you can bet they're looking to do something like that. They're also looking for walkability, bike lanes, public transit access, highway access, airport access... they're looking for connectivity. They're looking for a city. They're looking for a Downtown.

Really, is there anywhere better suited in the country right now for what they're looking for than Schuylkill Yards and 30th Street District here in Philadelphia? I really don't think there us.

It's time for Philadelphia to step the f**k up and show what it's got. It's time for us to play with the big dogs. We may not get this opportunity again.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwp View Post
I'd really, really, really love to agree with you. Don't think we have the industry infrastructure to attract a major corporate HQ. Yes, Comcast is here, but who else? This is dated, but check out this list of Fortune 500 locations...

Even freakin' Jacksonville has more than Philly! Yes, talent pools, tax incentives, geography, etc. are all important factors... but the presence of other large corporations will be important too.
You're looking at city limits only, which is pretty pointless in today's day and age. You have to look at it from a metropolitan area viewpoint - a whole region as one.

There is nothing in the real world separating Philadelphia from Bala Cynwyd, from Conshohocken, from King of Prussia, from Malvern, from Radnor. They all work together in symbiosis as one Region.

When you look at it as a region, very few others in the US surpass Philadelphia in number of Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 companies. Philadelphia is also at the top of the list for # of large Privately held companies. Philadelphia is also at the top of the list for top universities, and top hospitals.

All that matters is when Amazon comes to visit Philadelphia, they're going to see 30th Street Station, bike lanes, the Schuylkill River trail, 3 modern gleaming shard skyscrapers, one with an FMC logo plastered on the top. They're going to see tower cranes, Drexel University, University of Pennsylvania, the University City Science Center, the Penn Medicine and CHOP Medical center. They're going to see Aramarks logo across the river. They're going to see our expanding skyline, and two, shining, Comcast skyscrapers.

Who cares what we have now? We have what it takes, and more, to land Amazon HQ2.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:05 PM
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
All that matters is when Amazon comes to visit Philadelphia, they're going to see 30th Street Station, bike lanes, the Schuylkill River trail, 3 modern gleaming shard skyscrapers, one with an FMC logo plastered on the top. They're going to see tower cranes, Drexel University, University of Pennsylvania, the University City Science Center, the Penn Medicine and CHOP Medical center. They're going to see Aramarks logo across the river. They're going to see our expanding skyline, and two, shining, Comcast skyscrapers.
Yeah, it'd be great if it were that cut and dry. Re: the regional perspective, that goes without saying. If you look through the list of corporate HQ's, you'll notice many other metros with organizations located outside of the city limits too.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwp View Post
Yeah, it'd be great if it were that cut and dry. Re: the regional perspective, that goes without saying. If you look through the list of corporate HQ's, you'll notice many other metros with organizations located outside of the city limits too.
Philadelphia is top 10 for both Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 in the US, easily.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations