HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #17261  
Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 5:47 PM
Kidphilly Kidphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
https://www.aiaphiladelphia.org/news/das-architects-cambria-hotel-opens-march-ritzy-jazz-inspired-high-rise-roof-top-venue-elevates









Who's up for a CD Philly version meet and great with a view (semi serious)





Actually excited to see this place as Philly desperately needs roof lounges

from over on a CD 2035 thread

Thought would post it here, if this happens can inform here might be fun

I know off topic but thought might be good for some of the regular posters on these sites
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17262  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 3:21 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,672
These are pretty nice for the location: 18th street just South of Spring Garden.

https://northxnorthwest.com/gallery/

Great views of Center City. I think we will continue to see "Spring Arts" and Fairmount develop. Completed sometime in 2017 and now leasing. https://www.google.com/maps/place/45...!4d-75.1681493 https://www.google.com/maps/place/45...!4d-75.1681493
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17263  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 4:34 PM
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,614
^
Neat art installation to the front entrance.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17264  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 5:44 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Neat art installation to the front entrance.
Yep. Looks like it had been there and they kept it. Looks like the North tower is an older building that received modest renovations. There used to be a street with this sculpture adjacent. It and the adjacent parking lot were paved over and turned into the new tower (Northwest) and entrance with the art installation.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/45...!4d-75.1681493

https://www.google.com/maps/place/45...!4d-75.1681493
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17265  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 8:33 PM
Jayfar's Avatar
Jayfar Jayfar is offline
Midrise
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
Hard to say, since that's a very old rendering (2010). I seem to recall it was going to consist of 2 phases: a separate apartment building adjacent and then the over-build of the grain elevator itself. The apartment building, covering most of the 1900 block of Callowhill St., was completed some time ago. EDIT: After searching a bit, I found some clarity; see links below.

https://goo.gl/maps/srmdtKEiRBz

http://thegranaryapts.com/

The developer, Pearl, flipped the completed apt building known as The Granary over 4 years ago, so I'm not sure of the status of the original Granary behind it.

https://www.multihousingnews.com/pos...-philadelphia/

Found this Inga Saffron article from 2010, which sheds some light (the Interface Studios' concept for the Granary was quickly killed off by Historical Commission and neighborhood objections.):

http://www.philly.com/philly/home/20...nd_design.html

...and there's a 2016 Plan Philly piece on the grain elevator. The accompanying picture has that same scaffolding in place 2 years ago.

http://planphilly.com/articles/2016/...es-the-granary

May as well throw in the 1980 nomination form for the National Register of Historic Places:

http://www.dot7.state.pa.us/CRGIS_At...001456_01H.pdf

Check this out:
A bunch of old photos
__________________
Philadelphia Industrial & Commercial Heritage
A public Facebook group to promote appreciation of Greater Philadelphia's industrial and commercial history and advocate for historic preservation and adaptive re-use.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17266  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 7:04 PM
allovertown allovertown is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 715
For the people who have debated here that there will be widespread driverless cars within a decade: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/1...gtype=Homepage

Driver operated cars kill tons of pedestrians of course. But it is a matter of perception. Incidents like this will massively delay driverless cars becoming widespread in near future. I've said it before the biggest roadblocks aren't technological. They're perception and politics.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17267  
Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 8:52 PM
Groundhog's Avatar
Groundhog Groundhog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
For the people who have debated here that there will be widespread driverless cars within a decade: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/1...gtype=Homepage

Driver operated cars kill tons of pedestrians of course. But it is a matter of perception. Incidents like this will massively delay driverless cars becoming widespread in near future. I've said it before the biggest roadblocks aren't technological. They're perception and politics.
Very sad story. Agreed that perception and politics are the biggest roadblocks, but $$$$ is the biggest driver and, in most cases, trumps those roadblocks. Not to get too political, but the Keystone Pipeline is an example of this that pops right out - the technology is there, technically the safest way to transport this stuff, but lot's of fear and political will against it. It's not a perfect apples to apples comparison, but it demonstrates the point. If the powers that be see lot's of green from autonomous vehicles, they'll happen.
__________________
You must construct additional pylons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17268  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 3:05 AM
FourS FourS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 44
With driverless cars, it's more than perception or fear. A lot of it will boil down to culpability. Who is responsible criminally or financially when people die or property is damaged? We always need someone to blame. Does the manufacturer take on the insurance burden, or the software programmer, or the operator (who isn't really operating anything). These are not insurmountable questions and they will eventually be sorted out, but it may take a while.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17269  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:30 AM
alasi alasi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 184
Just a thought, that Site at 22nd market needs an industrial cleanup. What if we turned it into at 1500 ft vertical solar farm. I'd be interested in how much energy could be produced. Would we still need the clean up?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17270  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:50 AM
allovertown allovertown is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Very sad story. Agreed that perception and politics are the biggest roadblocks, but $$$$ is the biggest driver and, in most cases, trumps those roadblocks. Not to get too political, but the Keystone Pipeline is an example of this that pops right out - the technology is there, technically the safest way to transport this stuff, but lot's of fear and political will against it. It's not a perfect apples to apples comparison, but it demonstrates the point. If the powers that be see lot's of green from autonomous vehicles, they'll happen.
I agree that money trumps all, but on the issue of driverless cars, I don't think it is clear that all the money would line up on the same side. Uber, google, etc are leading the way on driverless cars and these are companies that of course have a lot of money.

On the other hand though, I would think traditional car companies probably view driverless cars with a healthy dose of skepticism. Many have stated eventually driverless cars will take us to a future where no one owns their own cars. That future can't be good for traditional car companies, who are used to individual owners with multiple cars who purchase new cars every few years. Auto mechanics, consumer auto parts stores, etc would be among the various other entities that could line up against driverless cars. That's why I'm not sure money will be the factor you think it is, because as much money will be lobbying for allowing driverless cars, there will probably be just as much money lobbying against allowing driverless cars.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17271  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:53 AM
allovertown allovertown is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by alasi View Post
Just a thought, that Site at 22nd market needs an industrial cleanup. What if we turned it into at 1500 ft vertical solar farm. I'd be interested in how much energy could be produced. Would we still need the clean up?
I know nothing about vertical solar farms, however it strikes me as ta bad idea to build one in the middle of Center City Philadelphia. There would be numerous buildings that would cast shadows on it, limiting its effectiveness. Not to mention, at some point in the future, another super tall could be built very close by, effectively preventing the solar farm to receive much, if any light.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17272  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 7:44 AM
alasi alasi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 184
I thought the shadows might impact more,but if look at photos of how the sun would shine on that lot, it's still gets a considerable amont during the peak hours(10-2). I agree that any supertall on the southside of market would impact, but don't see one happening on any of those sites in the near future. In honesty, I'm not sure it would generate more than 1MW per day, which I don't think would justify the expense. Just trying to brainstorm a way to get that lot developed with a supertallđŸ˜ƒđŸ€”
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17273  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 8:06 AM
Philly-Drew's Avatar
Philly-Drew Philly-Drew is offline
ΊÎčλαΎέλφΔÎčα
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NoLibs
Posts: 1,358
Regarding driverless cars, it will come down to the actuarial numbers. They don’t have to be perfect and never will be perfect, but they will need to be safer than cars with a human driver.

Once driverless cars are say, 100 times safer on average than human drivers, it will be a no brainer. Why would anyone want to interact with a human driver if they are proved to be 100 times more dangerous?

This is but the latest argument of human vs machine.
__________________
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace." :Lennon

Philadelphia transportation thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=164129
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17274  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 1:58 PM
City Wide City Wide is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I agree that money trumps all, but on the issue of driverless cars, I don't think it is clear that all the money would line up on the same side. Uber, google, etc are leading the way on driverless cars and these are companies that of course have a lot of money.

On the other hand though, I would think traditional car companies probably view driverless cars with a healthy dose of skepticism. Many have stated eventually driverless cars will take us to a future where no one owns their own cars. That future can't be good for traditional car companies, who are used to individual owners with multiple cars who purchase new cars every few years. Auto mechanics, consumer auto parts stores, etc would be among the various other entities that could line up against driverless cars. That's why I'm not sure money will be the factor you think it is, because as much money will be lobbying for allowing driverless cars, there will probably be just as much money lobbying against allowing driverless cars.
My two cents------as many are saying it seems that driverless vehicles will happen in steps. I read one report that talked about big rig trucks being the first step, with drivers actually driving them to and from the interstates, but then the open road would be driverless. Likewise low speed local pizza delivery vehicles will probably come before driverless cabs.
On one hand this step by step approach gives the tech time to handle one aspect of the problem before trying to bite off the whole issue. But the down side is that it also allows 'society' to stick its collective head in the sand and not really deal with the 'whole issue'. We seem much better at identifying possible problems and complications then we are at actually doing anything about them.
I read that 70% of the trucking industry costs are labor, and there is also a labor storage in the industry. If driverless vehicles can 'help' them, that will be a large force to resist, especially if it is developed and introduced in small steps.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17275  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 3:33 PM
Londonee Londonee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: London
Posts: 1,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
I read that 70% of the trucking industry costs are labor, and there is also a labor storage in the industry. If driverless vehicles can 'help' them, that will be a large force to resist, especially if it is developed and introduced in small steps.
There's also the cost-inefficiency of time. Theoretically a driverless vehicle can run 24/7 - whereas there are workplace and industry rules which govern the amount of time on and off the road a driver can spend.

Also imagine when these trucks are equipped as EVs with massive batteries in the trailer and solar panels on the roof? It might become nearly as fast and dramatically more cost efficient to simply drive goods cross-country - instead of taking 6 days with a driver, a driverless truck can get goods from San Fran to Philly in 40hours.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17276  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:45 PM
diavolo diavolo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 22
Here is a snap from 4th & Washington (Jefferson Square Park).



It's a bit of a shame that Liberty 2/Liberty 1/Mellon Bank Center/CTC are all in a line from this angle, since there is such a clear view at this park of them and CC, IBX to the left and the top of the W/Element to the right.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17277  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:56 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,917
Not to stifle the driverless car talk, esp on a slow news day/week but there is a thread in the city discussions forum dedicated to this topic and has more perspective than just Philly forumers. Regardless, it's certainly an interesting technology that will have a wide ranging impact on our society when it is adopted by the masses.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17278  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:54 PM
Groundhog's Avatar
Groundhog Groundhog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by diavolo View Post
It's a bit of a shame that Liberty 2/Liberty 1/Mellon Bank Center/CTC are all in a line from this angle, since there is such a clear view at this park of them and CC, IBX to the left and the top of the W/Element to the right.
Guess we'll just have to build out the skyline more in different directions.
__________________
You must construct additional pylons.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17279  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 6:44 PM
Kidphilly Kidphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 899
Does anyone know the true level of remediation that would be required at 22nd?


and if so, would a parking podium help (I know but still that lot needs something large)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17280  
Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 10:07 PM
kingtut kingtut is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 148
Nice finance news for the Philly Metro .
https://pitchbook.com/news/articles/...teractive-maps
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:06 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.