HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 5:57 PM

Clashing with the Rodin? Reminder: We live in a city, not a movie set. How ridiculous and boring would Philadelphia look if everything was built to mesh and look alike?

For what it's worth, this iteration of the Rodin Tower seems nice, albeit short.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 5:59 PM

They need to put a traffic light at 21st of Hamilton if that development goes through. That intersection is a mess now between the traffic generated by the Wawa, the new Whole Foods, the police station, two (?) bus routes, etc.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 5:59 PM

It's by right, so "clashing" is an academic discussion. Not even the impotent CDR process is available for communal venting. If the Dallian didn't destroy the Rodin, I doubt this will either. Looks kinda cool for modern. Something less "clashing" might be more noticeable thank sleek and glassy, ironically.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 6:03 PM

There goes my dream of turning this into the greatest beer garden in the city.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 6:05 PM

looks short and squat.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 7:09 PM

There's a 250 foot height limit at this location I believe, but this building is probably only half that. I like the building, condos are appropriate at this location and I'm glad to cover up that whole. I hope they cap over the railway. I don't think a below-grade park along this ROW is a good idea at all, people will feel uncomfortable being surrounded by walls and won't use the space. I'd rather the local green space be a capped Vine Street and the Parkway. I think it should eventually be repurposed for light rail transit extending out along Fairmount Park East and up to Brewerytown.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
There's a 250 foot height limit at this location I believe, but this building is probably only half that. I like the building, condos are appropriate at this location and I'm glad to cover up that whole. I hope they cap over the railway. I don't think a below-grade park along this ROW is a good idea at all, people will feel uncomfortable being surrounded by walls and won't use the space. I'd rather the local green space be a capped Vine Street and the Parkway. I think it should eventually be repurposed for light rail transit extending out along Fairmount Park East and up to Brewerytown.
Pretty sure this is just being built in the hole.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Pretty sure this is just being built in the hole.
The article says they are preserving the ROW and are not yet sure whether they will cap the other part of the whole on which they are not building.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2018, 8:32 PM

^ Not the whole hole. :-)

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:35 AM
More of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
The article says they are preserving the ROW and are not yet sure whether they will cap the other part of the whole on which they are not building.
I believe this Right of Way HAS to be preserved. I have no link to back this up but I have a strong feeling this entire old rail line is preserved as it is (a) kind of historic and kind of like a legacy ROW and (b) the dimensions are such that it may support a line in the future, if not simply supporting the underground portion of the rail park as proposed.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 2:05 PM

I thought the article said that the right-of-way will be preserved. The only question for the developer was whether he will cover it or not.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 2:10 PM

I think that the ROW could be used as a subway. The traditional way of building a line was to dig a ditch and bury it, and we've already done half of that here. Run a line up to the Art Museum and then to Manayunk in the west, and then across Broad and down 2nd or Front in the East.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:30 PM

Let's make it even more expensive to build here.

City Council set to release sweeping new affordable housing bills

Quote:
Philadelphia City Council is expected to announce on Wednesday — the 50th anniversary of the Fair Housing Act — an ambitious package of affordable housing bills — including a new tax on construction. The legislation represents the culmination of months of debate over inclusionary zoning and the city’s ten-year tax abatement, a development incentive that many progressive members of City Council would like to see reformed.

The anticipated bills include a “construction privilege tax,” championed by City Council President Darrell Clarke, which would levy a one percent tax on all new construction.
http://planphilly.com/articles/2018/...-housing-bills

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
Let's make it even more expensive to build here.

City Council set to release sweeping new affordable housing bills

http://planphilly.com/articles/2018/...-housing-bills
unbe-fucking-lievable

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:55 PM

^ How many planning, development, and RE professionals were involved in drafting of this bill? My guess is zero.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 4:57 PM

^
my same thought. how about the city council members contribute 1% of their pay to afforable housing. keep taxing the hardworking citizens and you lose your tax base. they will go to the burbs. a 600k new construction home equates to a 6 k tax.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 5:00 PM

Fuck this. How can I as a citizen do something about that? Is there a number to call?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 5:53 PM
Future World Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Fuck this. How can I as a citizen do something about that? Is there a number to call?
Call and email your Councilperson, as well as all the at-large Councilpersons.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 7:14 PM

Did anybody actually read the article? At an initial gut level, it rubs me the wrong way as well. However, Leo Addimando of BIA is supporting this package, and that goes a long way towards shaping my views. Life and governance requires compromise. Council was going to do something as to affordable housing. It just was. This may well be a net benefit to developers with the density bonuses and other pro-developer measures that were including. The devil is in the details, but I am cautiously optimistic.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2018, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
^ How many planning, development, and RE professionals were involved in drafting of this bill? My guess is zero.
Wow, did anyone actually read the article? Trump's America: don't let facts get in the way of a good uproar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations