HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
I swear the constant rhetoric of anti-parking, density and gentrification is going to make Atlanta the next San Francisco/Seattle.
I'm not sure those three things line up. I am very much pro density and pro gentrification, but anti-parking as I believe cars (as a primary means of transit) are inherently incompatible with real density. Some parking is okay to have, but when entire blocks are dead zones of nothing but parking lots or parking decks, it lessens the city's potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-town View Post
I actually like 687 Angier Ave, and think we need more of this type of urbanism. It combines height, small footprint and few units. It's just a few SFHs stacked on top of each other. A similar model was used in New York with the development of 432 Park Avenue. And if these units have at least 3 bedrooms they'll sale quickly. I've already came to the conclusion when it's time for me to buy I'll have to spend a million. It's been the norm in San Francisco for years. And I don't see that changing for city living in America's largest cities anytime soon.
If this turns out anything like 432 Park Avenue, we will be lucky.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 7:52 PM

Quote:
I swear the constant rhetoric of anti-parking, density and gentrification is going to make Atlanta the next San Francisco/Seattle.
one of those things is not like the other

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 8:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTAisSmarta View Post
I'm not sure those three things line up. I am very much pro density and pro gentrification, but anti-parking as I believe cars (as a primary means of transit) are inherently incompatible with real density. Some parking is okay to have, but when entire blocks are dead zones of nothing but parking lots or parking decks, it lessens the city's potential.
2018 in Atlanta you have to have parking in order to get financing and to attract tenets. To say otherwise, just shows a lack of an understanding of our market dynamics and frankly just plain common sense. To be anti-parking is to be anti-growth. Sorry to be harsh, but that's the fact jack!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 8:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
one of those things is not like the other
No Stuccy - they are all similar. See my response above.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Whether a 21 story building or the house is just renovated to match the market conditions for the area, these people will be displaced regardless unless the government comes in and introduces regulation to stop the market pressures in this area. This is an extremely desirable area. I think the displacement argument should not be used as an argument against density as market forces, not density, are the reason for displacement. I am familiar with this house (in my neighborhood) and it is not in a very good condition, and I think some sore of improvement to this property is inevitable regardless.

As for the density, this is a future transit served area with office and other uses. They should build density in this area and we need to stop crying anytime a single family house is proposed to be torn town.

I also laughed at the suburban soccer mom who lives in that new (10 year old) house on her crusade to stop the neighborhood from developing. I have owned property in the neighborhood for 15 years and I think the changes happening are great. I kinda feel like there needs to be a counter protest!
A counter protest would be a great idea, someone should start a movement countering unreasonable Nimbys.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 9:31 PM

Quote:
No Stuccy - they are all similar. See my response above.

that's such a bad nickname. how about cabs or just about anything else? lol

i guess here in atlanta, the status quo is what it is, but there are viable developments in other cities without such (like seattle!)

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 10:52 PM

Broadstone Yards construction pics:

Old Posted Jun 30, 2018, 5:00 PM

Emory Midtown 3000+ proposed parking deck

Quote:
So they need an additional 3000+ parking spaces for the existing Emory's hospital in Midtown? Or are the additional spaces needed for the Emory's hospital expansion planned in the future?
@atl3000
I believe it's for both.
A few years ago when my mom was in Emory Midtown for a week, everyday the existing parking deck was 95% full by 10am. There is also a lot of reserved spaces in that same deck for hospital staff.
I am guessing when they expand the main campus, the new tower would be located at the large existing ground parking lot they already own at the corner of Peachtree and Linden Ave.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 5:22 AM

Quote:
2018 in Atlanta you have to have parking in order to get financing and to attract tenets. To say otherwise, just shows a lack of an understanding of our market dynamics and frankly just plain common sense. To be anti-parking is to be anti-growth. Sorry to be harsh, but that's the fact jack!
Just depends on the project and bank. My small project downtown has zero parking and it was never a concern or even brought up by the bank. It is pretty obvious it would have been unworkable if I had to build parking. Newport is doing the same thing on a bigger scale and adding no parking. The condos at 867 Peachtree added no parking and just did arrangements with neighbors under used spaces.

Parking is a terrible investment in the long term IMO. Even the airport is seeing parking demand slow and they are now pulling back on their plans for parking deck expansion. Sure some people might be so stuck in that mind-set they can't see the shift to Uber / autonomous taxis / more walk-able urbanism. But a lot of these parking decks are running $20K a space. You can offer a lot of other perks at $20K a person. All this urban parking is a big cost that is inflating prices in the city, we at least need to get rid of the parking minimums in more places to increase the opportunity to offer homes at more competitive rates for those of us folks without cars.

Quote:
A counter protest would be a great idea, someone should start a movement countering unreasonable Nimbys.
YIMBYs are a real thing.

Last edited by jsvh; Jul 1, 2018 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 8:33 PM

I was not able to take a picture, but I drove by today and noticed the plot of Land where 1781 Peachtree is supposed to rise is now fenced off. I guess they are demolishing the existing buildings there soon..

Old Posted Jul 1, 2018, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One ATLien View Post
I was not able to take a picture, but I drove by today and noticed the plot of Land where 1781 Peachtree is supposed to rise is now fenced off. I guess they are demolishing the existing buildings there soon
Glad to see this one moving forward.

IMO, this design would have been great for O4W or specifically the 525 North Ave project.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Broadstone Yards construction pics:
Thanks for sharing! I wonder how long before that parking lot between JCT & Walton Westside is put up for sale. Lots of room for more dense development in this pocket of Atlanta.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 2:15 PM

Interesting information on the Angier Avenue condo project in O4W. Take the poll.

https://mailchi.mp/d06ffb90354b/help...-info-and-poll

And the developer's response to the petition against the proposal kills it.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3829...ty-Investments

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 2:49 PM

Let's be honest. People don't want this built because of how expensive the units are, not anything else. You can't tell me with all of the density from the 250+ unit stick-built apartments and the upcoming New City development that a project like this will stick out a sore thumb lmao.

It comes from envy and jealousy. I could understand if this was replacing single family homes(and even I personally wouldn't mind), but it isn't. It's going in a vacant lot. There's really no argument against this outside of price and class.

I just think if these were 300k each instead of 1M each, people wouldn't be fighting this. But they're fine with the stick built apartments in the area that add far far more traffic than a 16 unit building lmao.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 2:50 PM

The writing is on the wall for the area of Old Fourth Ward surrounding O4W Park. It's going to be high density development, as it should be. Is this NIMBY group going to protest New City's proposal, too? It's such a weak argument.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2018, 5:42 PM

Nimby's need to grow up...

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 1:38 PM
BANNED

It looks like the Hard Rock Hotel construction is underway, as well as, the Norfolk Southern building redevelopment.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSangha View Post
I read her argument to, it’s pretty weak. Bye girl! Go sit down.
I agree.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2018, 8:53 PM
BANNED

Crescent Communities Files to Allow Moores Mill Multifamily Plans to Move Forward: Upper Westside

http://product.costar.com/home/news/shared/192820?tag=1

Old Posted Jul 5, 2018, 4:27 PM

Way more elaborate than it needs to be (especially since it's using tax payer money) but it's still kind of cool.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2018/7/5/...falcons-united

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations