HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 16, 2018, 1:00 AM

They started installing the top floor glass today. Should be fully enclosed by the end of the week.

Also yes the podium is a damn shame.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2018, 11:44 PM

Forgive the graininess, I was zoomed in on my phone but the last hand full units of glass are currently being installed. I hope they are still planning on some sort of crown. I don't think the flat roof/mechanical looks very good.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2018, 10:42 PM

Aug 18

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 12:20 AM
1st Ward

I still can't get over how poorly executed this garage is, and how awesome the tower looks. Its crazy that it's all part of the same development, designed by the same architect.

At least the side facing Halsted is covered up a bit better than the north/south facades. Still, horribly abysmal overall. Shame, this would have been one of the better developments of this boom cycle.

Thanks for the pics as always, Harry!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 1:53 PM

I can tolerate that glass on the garage but not sure what they are thinking with that black grating at the corners...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:30 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

If it's any consolation, we have much, much worse parking podiums going up in LA at the moment. Comparatively, this one is beautiful!
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 4:43 PM

I do think it's funny the garage is so bad, the designers basically are pretending it's not theirs

it's like this tower is whistling and walking away pretending it doesn't know the garage

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 6:29 PM

This is going to sound like heresy, but I dig the side with the plain, frosted glass pieces. An homage to the geometric work of the 70s.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 9:56 PM

If they would have gone with a dark grey stain/ paint i think it would have complimented the glass much better!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
If they would have gone with a dark grey stain/ paint i think it would have complimented the glass much better!
I was thinking that yesterday myself. If they had painted the concrete, really anything, it would have turned out better, but the exposed concrete just looks lazy

Old Posted Aug 21, 2018, 2:32 AM
Chicago

August 16, 2018

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 2:00 AM

Great pics. I'm really digging how this one turned out.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 8:57 AM

the parking garage absolutely murders that corner what a disaster.

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
and its even worse in person which is hard to believe.

Liked the Jahn film btw. Gonna go to Sony Center later to catch a movie myself ;-)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
It looks like any Loop parking structure with token commercial space that people reading this site would be clamoring to see torn down. Halsted deserved so much better.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 11:48 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
This. All they had to do was utilize the same glass they used on the tower, and it would have been orders of magnitude more palatable than it is now.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
This. All they had to do was utilize the same glass they used on the tower, and it would have been orders of magnitude more palatable than it is now.
Or - weird - make a bit of a plaza, even cut the corner a bit, doesn't take much outdoor seating to change everything.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2018, 12:32 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Or - weird - make a bit of a plaza, even cut the corner a bit, doesn't take much outdoor seating to change everything.
Literally cutting one of the corners out for a plaza was the only corner they didn't cut when designing this garage.

Yeah, I'll let myself out now.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 11:07 AM

I agree with Left of Center in that they should have utilized the same color glass, that would have created a more harmonious look. However, on a positive note this building along with the others that have been built on the west side of the expressway have made the beginnings of a canyon of tall buildings on both sides. Very cool look I think. Would like to hear from others on how they like that new canyon effect. I wasn't that long ago when I was parking my car in the many surface parking lots that dotted Halsted. Now those same surface lots are disappearing and being replaced by these wonderful high rises. This "western" growth is another great addition to the ever growing footprint of the skyline.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 4:53 PM

Nah, the visual differentiation between the tower and the podium is a good thing - particularly in scenarios like this where they can make the tower look like it meets the ground rather than perched on top of a box. Cladding everything in uniform material creates a weird amorphous blob that isn't exactly appealing. It also creates more monotony at the street level when whole blocks are filled with unchanged aesthetic. That said, the choice of materials here is certainly questionable.

As they progress, I am somewhat coming around to it. It isn't nearly the disaster it has been made out to be. The pedestrian experience on Halsted is looking up now that some of the construction barriers have been removed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive