HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 10:30 PM

CanniMed plans $10.5 million expansion at Saskatoon plant

Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
April 19, 2017

Canada’s first licensed medical marijuana producer is planning a $10.5 million expansion at its facility southeast of Saskatoon, which it says could allow for the production of up to 720,000 litres of cannabinoid oil each year.

That’s the equivalent of 12 million 60-millilitre bottles of oil, CanniMed Therapeutics Inc. said in a news release announcing the facility, which is expected to take about 20 months to build and create 25 new full-time jobs.

“The expansion of our oils processing capacity will ensure ample supply of cannabinoid-based raw materials for future product development and innovation,” CanniMed president and CEO Brent Zettl said in a statement.

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/business/l...askatoon-plant

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:37 PM

Yellow Quill expands urban reserve, waits on office building

Phil Tank, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Published on: April 20, 2017 | Last Updated: April 20, 2017 6:00 AM CST

Quote:
Nearly five years ago, the Yellow Quill First Nation announced plans to build a five-storey office tower to replace a parking lot on a prime downtown Saskatoon location.

The project at the northeast corner of Fourth Avenue and 20th Street remains alive, but will require an anchor tenant to move forward, according to Ron Waddington, managing trustee of Yellow Quill Land Entitlement Trust (LET) and director of Yellow Quill Holdings.

The First Nation released plans for the building during the economic boom in late 2012, when the downtown office vacancy rate was a minuscule 1.84 per cent. The 75,000-square-foot building was supposed to be completed by the end of 2015, but the property remains a parking lot.

“Building on spec is completely out of the question,” Waddington said Wednesday.

The downtown office vacancy rate was estimated at 16.5 per cent at the end of 2016, making downtown office development a tougher economic choice.

[....]
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...ffice-building

^ Unsurprising news here that the Yellow Quill office building won't go be going ahead without a lead tenant secured. At least it hasn't been scrapped altogether, the building would be a lovely addition to downtown on a long-existing parking lot.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 6:16 PM

Very much agreed, I have always like the renders of that building. I was hoping it might generate some interest. I know it has been on the colliers site for quite some time.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
Anyone know what is going on the pad across from the Tim Horton's at Lawson Heights Mall?
Word on the street is it's going to be another Great Canadian Brewhouse. The one in Stonebridge is just packed all the time so it would make sense.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCricket View Post
Anyone know what is going on the pad across from the Tim Horton's at Lawson Heights Mall?
Nothing exciting...Scotia Bank is building a free standing building so will be out of the mall

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morogolus View Post
Word on the street is it's going to be another Great Canadian Brewhouse. The one in Stonebridge is just packed all the time so it would make sense.
I'd Be surprised considering there will be a browns 100 feet away.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 3:36 PM

I don't think anyone is convinced that Brown's will now be opening anything. They were suppose to be opening in Briarwood/Lakewood location and that is sitting empty. As has been mentioned on here before, Brown's plans for expansion may be "on hold". Too bad, as we enjoy the location in Stonebridge, but it is too small!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morogolus View Post
It is definitely a bank

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy4Prez View Post
Yes from what I've heard, the actual mall project is still a go, but the 3 new condo towers that were proposed are no longer being built. I talked with Strathallen out of Toronto (the devs) on Monday, then the property manager on Wednesday. They both told me that the condo project has been scrapped for almost a month. I had a GC send me a recent MERX solicitation for this project, with all the building specs for all 3 towers. Not sure why they would solicit a project that has been scrapped for over a month.

It's too bad, really. I know a lot of people that are looking for work right now.
Strathallen were at the Real Estate Conference in Regina this week. They have big plans to fix up the property but there will not be towers. Expect several pad sites.

Last edited by Stormer; Apr 21, 2017 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 5:20 PM

Kind of 2 conflicting stories on the condo portion. Have they changed their mind again?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I don't think anyone is convinced that Brown's will now be opening anything. They were suppose to be opening in Briarwood/Lakewood location and that is sitting empty. As has been mentioned on here before, Brown's plans for expansion may be "on hold". Too bad, as we enjoy the location in Stonebridge, but it is too small!
Well over the last week they have installed Browns signage on the corner building at lawson mall parking lot. So i would put my money on that location opening. I would be surprised if the other two locations end up opening.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bess View Post
Kind of 2 conflicting stories on the condo portion. Have they changed their mind again?
Oops. I missed the word "not". Fixed it. That kinda changes the meaning a bit.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 8:22 PM

Also at the huge Saskatchewan Real Estate conference this week in Regina I heard 2 rumors that were presented as done deals:

1. That Greystone has inked Potash Corp as the anchor for its new Tower are River Landing.

2. That the Potash/Agrium head office will be in Calgary.

I actually believe neither of these. They may end up being true but I doubt they are done deals.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 8:41 PM

save

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 9:45 PM
the heat goes on

skywalks are terrible

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
skywalks are terrible
As someone that lives and works downtown I would kill for skywalks. I currently have two underground spots (home and work) because I hate being outside in winter. I've also lived and worked in Winnipeg downtown where I forgot I had a car because the skywalks connect to everything you need. I will never understand people that disagree with skywalks in a cold climate city. I grew up on a livestock farm so I am not a wussy about the cold either, it's just common sense to connect every building downtown if you care about creating a place where people want to commute, live, and work.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 12:06 AM
the heat goes on

common sense is that a lively public realm is the measure of a quality city

Skywalks are the enemy of a lively public realm

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
common sense is that a lively public realm is the measure of a quality city

Skywalks are the enemy of a lively public realm
...I don't know what your dream for a perfect downtown is, but I can tell you that every company that has a head office in Calgary/Toronto/Vancouver has been eliminating an immense amount of positions in Saskatoon both high profile and low profile entry positions making their presence in the downtown smaller and smaller and the reasons are for people with head office jobs making those decisions see Saskatoon as a very cold place that they'd rather not visit for 8 months of the year. This is a straight up fact, so if something like skywalks can make them realize Saskatoon is liveable for more than half the year, that leads to a better chance that corporations like Potashcorp/Agrium will keep positions here over moving somewhere with lower overhead, easier access to Labour, cheaper transportation costs, etc... the restaurants downtown aren't going to close over a few skywalks for people to choose when it's -20. When I lived in Winnipeg I loved going for walks in their 5km of tunnels on winter days versus sitting inside, and in the summers I clearly avoided them on beautiful sunny days.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I drove by where the Browns in Kensington was supposed to go last weekend. The Windows all have For Sublease signs in them. Browns expansion west is a no go. Thankfully Popeyes will be opening in a few months. Something to look forward to.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
...I don't know what your dream for a perfect downtown is, but I can tell you that every company that has a head office in Calgary/Toronto/Vancouver has been eliminating an immense amount of positions in Saskatoon both high profile and low profile entry positions making their presence in the downtown smaller and smaller and the reasons are for people with head office jobs making those decisions see Saskatoon as a very cold place that they'd rather not visit for 8 months of the year. This is a straight up fact, so if something like skywalks can make them realize Saskatoon is liveable for more than half the year, that leads to a better chance that corporations like Potashcorp/Agrium will keep positions here over moving somewhere with lower overhead, easier access to Labour, cheaper transportation costs, etc... the restaurants downtown aren't going to close over a few skywalks for people to choose when it's -20. When I lived in Winnipeg I loved going for walks in their 5km of tunnels on winter days versus sitting inside, and in the summers I clearly avoided them on beautiful sunny days.
First off thats a super petty reason to pull business out of Saskatoon. Also which companies have been pulling out like that? Calgary sure, but they cant keep jobs in their own city right now let alone anywhere else. We are in a economic slump, this happens. Also lets not get too worked up over a rumor about Potashcorp being headed in Calgary. Last official word was Saskatoon with a major sales office in Calgary. Which makes sense given the flight options and number of otherhead offices there. Lets not forget they have a large agricultural economy there too.

I do agree that skywalks would be nice and I think that calling skywalks the enemy of a lively public realm is a bit dramatic. I think I understand what you are trying to say macca, and if so I would have to dissagree. People will be out in the streets when its nice out and when its not will use the skywalks. No one hangs out outside when its -30 out or pouring rain anyways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan