HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 1:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Who cares if they don’t welcome you. FK ‘em. This is AMERICA and people can live wherever they want.
All you got to do is change your registration/plates from California to Oregon or Washington. Problem solved.

It's easier for Californians to blend in than it is for people on the East Coast, the South and Great Lakes due to their strong accents.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 2:03 PM

the only californians oregonians hate are the ones that outbid them with an all cash offer. buying a house here was nuts 2 years ago but things have chilled out a bit. 50 percent of oregonians came from out of state so this article is mostly baloney.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 2:42 PM

Why are we using words like expat, refugee, and flee to describe Americans moving between states in the US? NIMBYism out West is getting a bit out of hand, but if they don't want to build the housing, residents will either have to pay market rate for housing or move elsewhere. Can't have it both ways.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 2:55 PM
Dryer lint inspector

If you move to a new state with a chip on your shoulder, you will be met with some resistance. My mom and I are both from NY but she has had all kinds of backlash for being a NY'er where I haven't. I will bust their balls for eating chicken fried steak and sounding like Boomhauer but she expected/expects Texans to deal with her as a New Yorker on a New Yorker's terms and that doesn't fly well around these parts.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondpark View Post
I dont mind the sentiment but this?!?

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/..._vandalis.html
Nice color combo. Gold and white always looks good on a car.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 2:59 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
If you move to a new state with a chip on your shoulder, you will be met with some resistance. My mom and I are both from NY but she has had all kinds of backlash for being a NY'er where I haven't. I will bust their balls for eating chicken fried steak and sounding like Boomhauer but she expected/expects Texans to deal with her as a New Yorker on a New Yorker's terms and that doesn't fly well around these parts.
The best way to prepare oneself for life in another region is to consider the quality of asshole that region produces. Northern assholes, for example, will bark in your face and shove you. They're very direct. Southern assholes, on the other hand, are duplicitous and deceptive, and will smile sweetly to your face... then light your house on fire late at night with you in it. Consider the various strategies of the asshole and adjust your expectations and strategies accordingly.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 3:10 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
The best way to prepare oneself for life in another region is to consider the quality of asshole that region produces. Northern assholes, for example, will bark in your face and shove you. They're very direct. Southern assholes, on the other hand, are duplicitous and deceptive, and will smile sweetly to your face... then light your house on fire late at night with you in it. Consider the various strategies of the asshole and adjust your expectations and strategies accordingly.
Houston and Texas are very much still a "Well bless you're heart" area where as we came from deep in the "fuck you you fucking fuck!" part of the country. After three decades, my mom struggles with this.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Houston and Texas are very much still a "Well bless you're heart" area where as we came from deep in the "fuck you you fucking fuck!" part of the country. After three decades, my mom struggles with this.
There is a certain quaintness to all of that though, if you think long and hard about it, or is there?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 5:12 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

contrast that with the midwest, where people will tell you that you are a fucking idiot (if one deserves such scorn) all while smiling and then go crack a beer and do something else.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 5:31 PM

I'll never forget being in NYC with my family back in 9th grade. I was staring at these two dudes parking a truck and then taking some stuff out of the back(I don't remember why they drew my attention)...when all a sudden one of the guys says "what tha fuck you lookin at"....

I was in 9th grade lol

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 5:36 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by montréaliste View Post
There is a certain quaintness to all of that though, if you think long and hard about it, or is there?
I've been here long enough to see through it. To the outsider, it's quaint, to me, I'd rather they just tell me to fuck off.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 6:58 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
I've been here long enough to see through it. To the outsider, it's quaint, to me, I'd rather they just tell me to fuck off.
You're hardly alone. My partner is from the NYC suburbs in Connecticut (although he is loathe to admit it), and I've heard that same consternation from him and other northerners -- there's something about that "sweet poison" style of Southern viciousness that not only confuses northerners, but creeps them right the hell out. There's something considerably more insidious about it than there is in the open, naked hostility you find up north.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 7:31 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
You're hardly alone. My partner is from the NYC suburbs in Connecticut (although he is loathe to admit it), and I've heard that same consternation from him and other northerners -- there's something about that "sweet poison" style of Southern viciousness that not only confuses northerners, but creeps them right the hell out. There's something considerably more insidious about it than there is in the open, naked hostility you find up north.
It makes for an interesting marriage. My wife, a fourth or fifth generation Texan and from an old school southern family was in for a culture shock when she married a hot headed Guido from up north.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 7:52 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I'll never forget being in NYC with my family back in 9th grade. I was staring at these two dudes parking a truck and then taking some stuff out of the back(I don't remember why they drew my attention)...when all a sudden one of the guys says "what tha fuck you lookin at"....

I was in 9th grade lol
Typically its expected to hear screaming and yelling on the streets. Like once your in the city for long enough, it doesn't phase you. Its like "look another guy yelling in the subway" or "look, another girl with her pants down that smells". On good days, you get the folks that touch themselves in public, and no, I'm not making this up... they really make it obvious. Like obvious being smack in the middle of Herald Square.

Just another day!

Kinda like the guy that took a poop on the floor right by Track 5 in Newark Penn. This was a couple of years ago that I witnessed this.

That's the beautiful thing about life, you witness little things, sometimes just by being in the right place at the right time.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I've never heard of anything bad happening, from people who've moved and otherwise.

"Business Insider" doesn't exist by the way...you can't read it without ads so screw em.
Yea some really questionable articles - actual fake news - click bait.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
^ Ha, that was fun.
I prefer "We'll All Go Together When We Go" (and we will, Californians and Washingtonians and Portlanders)

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frAE...&frags=pl%2Cwn

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 8:28 PM

Yeah, total nonsense. Sure, there are crazies/assholes here and there but ive never met anyone who cared...in fact, most Oregonians are either former Californians or have family there....

How strange...

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
My veterinarian got a bunch of bad reviews on Yelp from Californians because he's a New Yorker and , shall we call it, "abrupt" and insufficiently laid back. As someone who grew up on the East Coast, I like his style. We ended up joking about the reviews. He apparently has plenty of business regardless.

There really is a west coast intolerance for east coast personalities though. Even my best friend, who works at a hotel and has to deal with people from everywhere, finds New Yorkers grating. I laugh at him over it too. I don't like "mellow".

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxg8r1 View Post
Yeah, total nonsense. Sure, there are crazies/assholes here and there but ive never met anyone who cared...in fact, most Oregonians are either former Californians or have family there....

How strange...

Same. It’s just bullshit drummed up by the media after a couple isolated incidents that were more than likely carried out by homeless people.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2018, 9:16 PM
Pay it Forward

Sometimes I just love being in our little, out-of-touch, 71-degree bubble

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Last edited by dimondpark; Aug 7, 2018 at 9:32 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions