HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 8:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Cool plans. A couple thoughts:

Planning should work to make the neighborhoods flow as seamlessly as possible. That means tearing down the Claiborne viaduct (which is in the plan) and a new I-10 overpass at Galvez (which isn't).

Planning should consider transit as an integral part of the plan, not a fantastical streetcar plan from la-la land. Not saying streetcars are a bad idea, but the planning needs to deal with the reality that MOST of the transit in the area will be provided by buses, and work to improve bus transit.

Finally - planning should identify a few (maybe 4 or 5) sites for signature tall buildings. Not skyscrapers, but buildings in the 10-15 story range that can act as focal points for the newly redeveloped areas. Planning would essentially preserve the views around these small towers for decades, so you could probably build them with 30-50 units for the high-end.
Pretty sure a Galvez overpass is part of the (separate) proposal that deals with just I-10. Will try to find a link.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I'd say the plans are pretty squishy, especially after seeing this news video tonight:

http://www.fox8live.com/news/local/s...ocLzcaajA.cspx
That's too bad. This is 90% selfishness talking, because I own property in the BioDistrict, but I think it would be really good for the city if this whole thing reaches the potential everybody envisions for it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Cool plans. A couple thoughts:

Planning should work to make the neighborhoods flow as seamlessly as possible. That means tearing down the Claiborne viaduct (which is in the plan) and a new I-10 overpass at Galvez (which isn't).
A Galvez overpass was suggested in the New Urbanism study. I think it's more desirable to make I-10 elevated from Carrollton to the River, but probably more expensive. It would definitely improve the urban fabric if both sides were connected. There would need to be a rail crossing for the Amtrak trains going to/from the Union Passenger Terminal, but I believe they only come 3 times a day, and those are small fast trains (unlike the mile long freight trains running along the River).

Lastly, it's interesting to note that after looking at old maps of New Orleans, I don't believe Galvez has ever connected to both sides. Before I-10 and the train tracks, the New Basin Canal separated the two sides, and there wasn't a bridge. Perhaps both sides were connected before the canal was dug in 1830, but no one lived in Broadmoore or Central City to be connected then.

Last edited by Blitzen; Jan 27, 2012 at 2:54 PM.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 7:02 AM

Biodistrict

I think that study is actually a fairly realistic idea especially for the supposed medium/high density residential popping up around the area labelled "A" in the proposed map.

An applicable example of what the area inside galvez, broad, tulane, and I-10 could look like in 20 years is the Central West End area in St. Louis. It sits on the adjacent north side of 3 or 4 major hospitals, a medical school, and a nursing school is a a mix of highrise apartments and condos, dense single family homes, and ground floor retail and food choices from fast to fine along a major pedestrian focused axis (follow link, look for euclid st.). It has the highest median income within the city limits of St. Louis (doctors etc. actually live nearby) and has virtually no crime.

This is what the city planners should be emulating to capitalize on a medical district:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=euclid...63108&t=h&z=18

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 9:23 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
A Galvez overpass was suggested in the New Urbanism study. I think it's more desirable to make I-10 elevated from Carrollton to the River, but probably more expensive. It would definitely improve the urban fabric if both sides were connected. There would need to be a rail crossing for the Amtrak trains going to/from the Union Passenger Terminal, but I believe they only come 3 times a day, and those are small fast trains (unlike the mile long freight trains running along the River).

Lastly, it's interesting to note that after looking at old maps of New Orleans, I don't believe Galvez has ever connected to both sides. Before I-10 and the train tracks, the New Basin Canal separated the two sides, and there wasn't a bridge. Perhaps both sides were connected before the canal was dug in 1830, but no one lived in Broadmoore or Central City to be connected then.
Eh... I'm fine with the ground-level highway. An elevated structure would blight all the ground beneath it, like it does on Claiborne. The only way to avoid that is to do an earthen embankment, but that would require tons of dirt from somewhere. It's a shame we didn't build a depressed highway. It could have been built in the canal bed.

I assumed that Galvez never connected across (they don't quite line up). That doesn't mean it shouldn't be connected in the present day to break the I-10 barrier.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchTwins View Post
I think that study is actually a fairly realistic idea especially for the supposed medium/high density residential popping up around the area labelled "A" in the proposed map.

An applicable example of what the area inside galvez, broad, tulane, and I-10 could look like in 20 years is the Central West End area in St. Louis. It sits on the adjacent north side of 3 or 4 major hospitals, a medical school, and a nursing school is a a mix of highrise apartments and condos, dense single family homes, and ground floor retail and food choices from fast to fine along a major pedestrian focused axis (follow link, look for euclid st.). It has the highest median income within the city limits of St. Louis (doctors etc. actually live nearby) and has virtually no crime.

This is what the city planners should be emulating to capitalize on a medical district:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=euclid...63108&t=h&z=18
I think, unfortunately, the planners are being wildly overoptimistic about the proposed size of the medical center. They predict 5.6 million square feet of additional academic, office, or hospital development. For sake of comparison, some of the top 10 medical centers in the country don't have that kind of space in total, let alone new development (Penn Medical Center: 6.6 million square feet total; Univ. of Chicago Medical Center: 4.6 million sq ft; Duke Medical Center 5.8 million sq ft; Wash U - St. Louis - 4.5 million sq. ft). An argument could be made that none of these other centers have 2 hospitals (UMC and VA) and four university partners (Tulane, LSU, Xavier and Delgado Nursing), but I still think it's going to be hard to expect to ever have a medical district that size.

It had me thinking whether New Orleans could ever attract a new university entrant into the city. NYC just attracted a new STEM (Science, Tech, Engineering, Math) campus for Cornell University in conjunction with Technicron Institute of Israel to the city by giving city land on Manhattan-adjacent Roosevelt Island and $350 million in infrastructure upgrades. Obviously, universities are much more enamored with the idea of expanding in NYC than NOLA, and New Orleans doesn't have $350 for infrastructure upgrades citywide let alone just in the medical district, but perhaps there's a possibility for such a deal in the city. A big name -- an ivy league schools, Duke, Stanford, etc. -- would add something reputation-wise to the medical center that I'm not sure Tulane or LSU could ever home grow.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
It had me thinking whether New Orleans could ever attract a new university entrant into the city. NYC just attracted a new STEM (Science, Tech, Engineering, Math) campus for Cornell University in conjunction with Technicron Institute of Israel to the city by giving city land on Manhattan-adjacent Roosevelt Island and $350 million in infrastructure upgrades. Obviously, universities are much more enamored with the idea of expanding in NYC than NOLA, and New Orleans doesn't have $350 for infrastructure upgrades citywide let alone just in the medical district, but perhaps there's a possibility for such a deal in the city. A big name -- an ivy league schools, Duke, Stanford, etc. -- would add something reputation-wise to the medical center that I'm not sure Tulane or LSU could ever home grow.
New Orleans' best bet is to lure a foreign government with ties arleady to New Orleans. Some places to start might be with the French Embassy in New Orleans, who already supports the French charter schools. The United Arab Emirates donated the money for Xavier's new pharmacy pavillion. I remember after Katrina they tried to donate $100 million to the city, but the U.S. State Department said no thanks. Tulane already runs clinics in Africa, maybe their doctors/nurses need a place in the US to train. Cuba will be an emerging market in the next decade. New Orleans already has trade ties to many South and Central American countries, this could be a natural extension. Maybe countries with climates too cold for some types of research could work here. Tulane has a huge primate research center on the northshore that they want to expand, however the neighbors want it shut down.

Those are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. Is anyone actively trying to market New Orleans to accomplish this? Probably not.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
I think, unfortunately, the planners are being wildly overoptimistic about the proposed size of the medical center. They predict 5.6 million square feet of additional academic, office, or hospital development. For sake of comparison, some of the top 10 medical centers in the country don't have that kind of space in total, let alone new development (Penn Medical Center: 6.6 million square feet total; Univ. of Chicago Medical Center: 4.6 million sq ft; Duke Medical Center 5.8 million sq ft; Wash U - St. Louis - 4.5 million sq. ft). An argument could be made that none of these other centers have 2 hospitals (UMC and VA) and four university partners (Tulane, LSU, Xavier and Delgado Nursing), but I still think it's going to be hard to expect to ever have a medical district that size.

Couldn't have said it better. I'm all for optimism, but there rarely seems to be any reality to substantiate it around here and anyone who has a doubt is instantly cast as opposition.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 7:45 PM

Saegner

I didn't realize they were demolishing the building behind the Saegner. The one(s) across Iberville from the back of the stage.

I drove by yesterday and sure enough they were knocking them down...

I remember they were going to close down Iberville for that block and either build the back of the stage out onto it so as to accomadate more modern performances and the equipment they require or close it down for unloading or something...but i dont' recall the demolition part.

Anyone know or remember?

Here's a googlemaps link to an aerial of the complex:
http://g.co/maps/eq98w

Last edited by IceCream; Jan 30, 2012 at 7:45 PM. Reason: link

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 8:15 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Is Jazz still the traditional music that's listened to in New Orleans. My favorite Jazz song, and the BEST Jazz song of all time is TAKE FIVE by Dave Brubeck. That's why New Orleans is my 2nd favorite city after NYC.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 8:25 PM

Article about new racetrack in Avondale:

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...0-acre_60.html

For those of you who don't know, "track days" are a big thing for those who can afford it. Those of us (not me) who can afford 911s and such dream of flexing their muscle at things like this, and now there's a place in the metro area where they can do so.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 8:51 PM
-

Went ride the karts the other day. Total good time!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 8:53 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
Couldn't have said it better. I'm all for optimism, but there rarely seems to be any reality to substantiate it around here and anyone who has a doubt is instantly cast as opposition.
I dont think anyone says the complex will ever turn out exactly that way. I think they are just thinking large and why not? Large chunks of the plan are in motion. So we know for sure that many unforseen benefits will happen in that area. If even half that plan comes to fruition New Orleans will be a totally different city.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 10:27 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
I'm skeptical too, and I don't think we should be putting all our eggs in the medical basket. Tons of other cities are going after these types of research facilities, and there's only so much government funding available. It's hard for me to think of a major city that ISN'T trying to develop a medical research sector, but not every city can be a leader, and the ones that aren't leaders aren't gonna see their economies revitalized.

New Orleans needs to be attracting other types of businesses as well - manufacturing, energy (green and non-green), technology, etc. I'm not an industrial consultant but I do know that the most resilient cities are the ones with the most diversified economies. We got seriously burned in the 80s after we went all in on the oil industry - we can't do that again. There's no magic bullet for civic success, but the number-one rule is to diversify so that problems in a given industry don't take down the whole city.

To the extent that the BioDistrict allows us to line up support behind new infrastructure, that's great. I don't think we can or should rely on huge medical-sector growth, though.

I'm also really disappointed with the flow of unique resources from the city into the suburbs... just today, the T-P reported about how the American-Italian Research Library is moving to Metairie. WTF? That's exactly the kind of special resource that should be clustered in the CBD/Warehouse area, especially considering that the central area contains exactly the kinds of hotels and restaurants that a visiting researcher might patronize.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
just today, the T-P reported about how the American-Italian Research Library is moving to Metairie. WTF? That's exactly the kind of special resource that should be clustered in the CBD/Warehouse area, especially considering that the central area contains exactly the kinds of hotels and restaurants that a visiting researcher might patronize.
To be a little optimistic, the library moved because the Italian Museum is doing so well it wanted to expand into their space. The Jefferson Parish library swooped up the cultural library, which begs the question, why isn't New Orleans' library system more aggressive about getting partners? The Latter building on St. Charles Ave. would make a beautiful cultural/research center. It's a microcosm of exactly what's wrong with New Orleans city government.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Is Jazz still the traditional music that's listened to in New Orleans. My favorite Jazz song, and the BEST Jazz song of all time is TAKE FIVE by Dave Brubeck. That's why New Orleans is my 2nd favorite city after NYC.
Sorry, we kind of skipped your post. Jazz is still big in New Orleans, probably a bigger part of the local music scene than anywhere else, but it's not like 16 year old kids grow up here wanting to be the next Louis Armstrong, for the most part.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 1:22 AM
Khurram Parvaz

^ Yeah when I think Jazz I ALWAYS think the big easy, never any other city.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
^ Yeah when I think Jazz I ALWAYS think the big easy, never any other city.
Yeah, I posted that, and then was walking down my street later- the 16 year old kid who lives half a block away was playing his trumpet.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 2:16 AM
Khurram Parvaz

One thing that's really surprising is that out of 28 Wrestlemanias (wrestling), not ONE has taken place in New Orleans in the Superdome (Mercedes). If one ever does take place the theme song will be Take Five by Dave Brubeck.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 3:46 AM
-

New lunch terrace at Lusher Campus:

http://uptownmessenger.com/2012/01/n...school-campus/

Reverend Cletus: Im going to stop posting details from bidclerk since the new website layout gives very little information. I and Im sure everyone else here would appreciate it if you can post things that are probably of interest to us! Thanks!

City Council Accepts Federal Funds for Restoration of Historic Magnolia Bridge on Bayou St. John and St. Charles Avenue Streetscape Project

http://www.nolacitycouncil.com/content/display.asp?id=54&nid={6C81D960-007E-4233-9958-A8497B7B7717}

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations