HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrillion View Post
Obviously you're not aware of the industrial style thats quite popular. The rusted metal front is extremely trendy and was way above the my expectations. The opening garage door rocks and the exposed wood beams with skylights add to the edgy feel they were going for. It's definitely nicer than My Dog Joe.
I’m aware of it. I almost even like it, sometimes- not, however, when it is used on a street that is completely absent of it. I consider it a shame that they would apparently give absolutely no thought to the character of a well-established street before designing their new store front.

Anyway, “rusted metal front” says it all, that's a good characterization of it.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 1:50 PM

Quote:
rusted metal front
Stelcoloy or Cor-Ten? Anyone know?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
Those are weathering steels designed to corrode a certain way over a few years, after installed.

My guess is that this would be a more typical steel, painted to make it appear rusted. That would be more cost-effective.

This might be interesting. It seems to refer to much larger facades, though, not just signage.

Last edited by HillStreetBlues; Sep 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 5:01 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistleclub View Post
A good example would be Stelco tower. Steel made to rust in a certain way.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:36 PM

Apparantly My Dog Joe on Locke has turned into a clothing design business. It has the nicest, tree covered patio on the street which is not utilised now. I wish they could make something of it, or rent it to someone else.

Last edited by Pearlstreet; Sep 12, 2013 at 4:01 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 11:21 PM

Yeah, I think they moved in a couple years ago but you're right, it's an inappropriate tenant for that space.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 3:12 PM
It's Hammer Time

Brown Dog Coffee Shoppe is coming to Locke, liquor license request

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/.../0/Oct2372.pdf

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 11:23 PM

That's a really big space. I wonder how they'll use it. Looking forward to it.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Brown Dog Coffee Shoppe is coming to Locke, liquor license request

http://www.hamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyres/.../0/Oct2372.pdf
Can anyone guess why would the City object to this? Is it because of the size of it? This is extremely close to the Westown, and I know that some residents nearby have concerns about night life culture (or whatever their specific concerns might be), but I can’t imagine what specific reasons they might have for claiming that it’s “not in the public interest,” given that there are other establishments extremely close that are licensed.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 2:27 AM

Sounds great!

The 101 Locke development... Is that still going on?

I walked past Johnnys today and thought they should have a bridge art installment like they do in Paris; Point de Arts (the bridge with all the padlocks).

Last edited by Pearlstreet; Oct 25, 2013 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 1:04 AM

^Great idea, actually. They have to do something to connect both sides of that bridge.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2013, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
^Great idea, actually. They have to do something to connect both sides of that bridge.
I visited the barber shop on Locke that day. Tony the shop owner is a talkative and pioneer member of their BIA. He said he has been hoping for a welcoming arch of sorts to attract people into the area.

Where can I get a pile of cheap pad locks lol? I need a few to get it started... This will be my first art experiment lol.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 1:39 PM

PearlStreet mentioned in the 101 Locke thread that he was excited to see the retail strip stretch northwards. I was going to reply to that, but figured it was a bit more appropriate to do it here since the comment is of a general nature about Locke.

I happened upon this ad listing a restaurant space at Locke and King the other day and lamented the fact that King and Main effectively prevent the Locke commercial strip from ever extending far north, even though there is retail along and near Locke Street North. It’s nice to see that property owners are interested in making modest improvements to the commercial spaces there, but too bad that there’s so much stacked against them in the form of the terrible pedestrian experience.

That building at Locke and King, by the way, changed hands a couple of years back; until a few months ago, there was a short-lived Jamaican restaurant that in my opinion had pretty good food. It now has a salon and a shop selling- I think- specialty coffee, which is new.

I’m really pleased that 101 Locke will extend the shopping district. But I think, while Locke remains one-way and King and Main remain hostile eyesores, it can’t do much better than that any time soon. Since the one-way stretch of Locke has persisted in the face of being- as far as I can tell- totally inconvenient for every kind of user, I suppose it won’t change any time soon.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 3:35 PM

A was mentioned by several other people here, the biggest barrier to extending the success of Locke Street northward is the gap that is generated by the bridge spanning the CP line, in addition to the empty lot north of it which will be transformed as a result of the aforementioned development.

Other than that, Locke has a high walkability score. It is essentially a pedestrian friendly street with two-way automobile traffic along the entire stretch, with the glaring exception of one block between King and Main where it was made one-way some time ago as part of a traffic calming exercise.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
...with the glaring exception of one block between King and Main where it was made one-way some time ago as part of a traffic calming exercise.
Thanks for this; I had no idea that was intended to be traffic calming. A municipal employee should go down there some time and see how motorists actually behave on that stretch.

The bridge over the tracks is not a major gap (but it could and should be beautified one day, I think). The parking lot is, you're right, and it will be much better when the 101 project is developed.

I wasn't intending any negative comment about Locke South. I love Locke, and am continually impressed by it. But I maintain, and think it's sad, that Locke north of Main will never be a continguous part of the Locke Street commercial district while Main and King are so terrible, and that stretch is still one-way.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 4:26 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
Thanks for this; I had no idea that was intended to be traffic calming. A municipal employee should go down there some time and see how motorists actually behave on that stretch.

The bridge over the tracks is not a major gap (but it could and should be beautified one day, I think). The parking lot is, you're right, and it will be much better when the 101 project is developed.

I wasn't intending any negative comment about Locke South. I love Locke, and am continually impressed by it. But I maintain, and think it's sad, that Locke north of Main will never be a continguous part of the Locke Street commercial district while Main and King are so terrible, and that stretch is still one-way.
One way is not the enemy. Overly thin sidewalks, high speed limits, etc. Those are the problem. I mean Ottawa's Byward market probably has the densest collection of one way streets in the city yet is also the most thriving retail area (or at least one of the most thriving ones). I will saw that Locke being two way, then one way, then two way again is an issue and the middle couple blocks should probably be made two way for people driving, but that's a matter of consistency rather than two way being better than one way.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
One way is not the enemy. Overly thin sidewalks, high speed limits, etc. Those are the problem. I mean Ottawa's Byward market probably has the densest collection of one way streets in the city yet is also the most thriving retail area (or at least one of the most thriving ones). I will saw that Locke being two way, then one way, then two way again is an issue and the middle couple blocks should probably be made two way for people driving, but that's a matter of consistency rather than two way being better than one way.
Yes, you’re right. If that stretch were taken to one lane to allow for normal-width sidewalks, it would be amenable to pedestrians. I’m not going to hold my breath for that, either.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 6:20 PM

The 101 development will really anchor the north end of Locke!

I realize that the stretch of Locke between Main and King is quite narrow but it's wide enough for two way traffic - a conversion could be very beneficial for the street.

Imagine a downtown visitor is told that Locke Street is a great eating/shopping destination only to drive west on King and can't get to it.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2015, 11:39 PM
Ham-burgher

Locke between King and Main has a number of homes. While 2-way traffic would be great for the neighbourhood, I'm not sure there will ever be a demand or a willingness for it to be more than a residential street on those blocks. But who knows, perhaps more retail development between Main and the tracks would change the market for it north as well.

Looking north, just north of Main: http://goo.gl/maps/wFplw

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 5:55 PM
It's Hammer Time

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues