HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 3:33 AM
Only Mostly Dead

They are continuing to shore up the perimeter and are doing so very quickly. New material is visible onsite. On the left are large timbers they've been using as a retaining wall. I assume it will be attached to the bottoms of the large steel girders already installed and stacked on the right.

Speaking of those, they are now installing them along the border with the vintage Howard-Hawthorne Building (or is it Hawthorne-Howard?). Also visible in this shot are the electrical boxes they've installed and begun wiring along Hawthorne:

Here they swing one into place:

And drop it into a hole the blue rig drilled along the perimeter:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 3:40 AM
North Beach

Well done. How did you get these? Hold the camera up in the air over all the obstacles?

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 3:47 AM
Only Mostly Dead

In some cases, yes. The last one I took through a small opening in the fence right up against the big ugly building next door. The first two I got lucky with; they had all the fencing out of the way right at the corner.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 5:26 AM
Green Berniecrat

Very nice. I have to admit, I used the same technique for capturing shots of construction projects in Chicago for the guys when I was living there. Sometimes you do get lucky and they remove some of the obstruction, other times you just have to look for an opening to place the lens in.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 4:24 AM

so does this officially become "under construction" when they start to drive the piles? is is digging for the foundation & shoring not enough?

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 4:40 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I think the rule is they have to install/build something that is permanent like piles or caissons. Excavation for the foundation doesn't count. I wonder if some of that bracing next to the other buildings may qualify? I'm not sure if that will remain after construction. The bracing along Hawthorne wouldn't qualify as it is temporary. Either way, it shouldn't be too long before they start the piles (which I think they will do with the drill method, rather than driving due to the close proximity of very old buildings). They haven't wasted a day on any step of this project. It seems to be on an aggressive schedule.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 8:34 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quick update: excavation continues today. They seem to have finished shoring against the neighbors and are removing dirt. I'd say they're about two levels down at the deepest point. IIRC, there will be four levels of underground parking so there's a little more to go still.

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 7:24 AM
Only Mostly Dead

It looked noticeably deeper to me today. If they are done with shoring up the perimeter, which I think they are, they could start piles within the next week or maybe two I would guess. This one should be moving over to the construction section very soon.

In contrast, the neighbor across the street -- the old phone company building that's supposed to be getting a facelift -- has had absolutely nothing happen to it for months. Anyone heard news on that?

Old Posted May 31, 2008, 7:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
It looked noticeably deeper to me today. If they are done with shoring up the perimeter, which I think they are
The way they normally do it you can't tell if they are finished until they start grading the bottom of the hole or pile driving showing that they aren't going any deeper. Generally, they drop in those shoring beams between steel vertical girders from above and dig dirt out from below so that the beams drop down as they go and they add more from the top.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 4:46 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Interesting, BT. In this case though, do you think they'll go down any further than the length of the beam dangling from the crane in my photos above? It looks plenty long for four stories of parking to me and when they placed it in the hole, it went right down until the top was level with what was then the surface. They have since dug down beyond that level. They're not there yet, but I believe they are getting close.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2008, 11:36 PM
BANNED

Still diggin'

Old Posted Jun 19, 2008, 9:24 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Today a backhoe was scooping out a large puddle of what looks like (but I doubt is) wet cement. It was a very liquid, gray mud. Otherwise, nothing obvious has changed in the past week.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2008, 6:31 PM
North Beach

They have virtually walled off the site with equipment; this is the only angle I can manage. Hard to tell what they are up to:

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 8:47 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I can't figure this one out. One week it seems like they're flying along. The next it's hard to tell that anything is happening, although there are workmen and equipment everywhere. They seem to have stopped digging downward, yet still have at least a couple of levels to go for four levels of parking. But I keep seeing these large puddles of wet concrete-like substance. You can make one out in Dave's shot above. Any ideas what that process is about?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2008, 10:44 PM
BANNED

In the absence of reports from our premier photographers (with their premier cameras), I grabbed a few shots yesterday with my trusty iPhone (always with me--don't like lugging a camera too).

They appear to be proceeding with scrupulous care on this one so as not to damage the neighboring buildings but they are working steadily:

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 1:30 AM

What is that large upright cylinder? Fuel tank?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 1:50 AM

looks like they are still only about two floors down in those pics. maybe 3?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:13 AM
North Beach

I did happen by there today, in fact. In this image you can see, to BT's point, how careful they are being with the back of the Sherwood building:

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 3:49 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I believe that big tank is water. I walked by yesterday to get some new shots, but they had every possible vantage point blocked with equipment and/or fencing. I couldn't see a thing.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2008, 5:05 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Today I could sneak a little better peek:

Over by the brick neighbor, there is definitely evidence that they have been busy digging deeper. Last time I could see this part of the site, they were only down about as far as the little smudge of blue paint on the wall:

But I was most excited about finding this:

I've been starved for information on where they're at with this project. Absent that, at least I now know where the crane and lifts will be located and get a sense of where the piles will be driven. It just dawned on me that normal people would not be at all interested in knowing these things.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive