HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Claridge Onyx in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 2:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceGuy View Post
Isn't one of the SOHO buildings from Mastercraft also planned for Lisgar?
Found the answer to my own question - 12 story SOHO Lisgar. That's 5 new towers on Lisgar that I can think of so far.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceGuy View Post
Found the answer to my own question - 12 story SOHO Lisgar. That's 5 new towers on Lisgar that I can think of so far.
That should have a nice impact on the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2011, 10:29 PM

Is Claridge still planning on building this?

They're going to have 5 towers within a few blocks of eachother. This one, two with their Nepean project and two with Tribeca.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 4:53 PM

Found an artical from www.centretownbuzz.com dated by April 2011... Looks like this was the latest news about the project:

Quote:
287 Lisgar St.

The drab 30-spot parking lot currently located at 287 Lisgar St. between Bank and O’Connor Streets will soon be home to a 16-storey, 136-unit condominium building, standing approximately 50m tall.

Claridge Homes successfully won a re-zoning appeal put in-front of the Ontario Municipal Board in July 2010, and only has to file building permits with the city before breaking ground.

The initial proposal was rejected in 2009 on the basis that the city planners’ report found the area’s zoning policy to be “conflicting and inconsistent.” However, the developer won an appeal before the OMB, successfully arguing that the project reflected provincial intensification policies and was consistent with surrounding developments.

Given the neighbourhood’s density, Claridge Homes is not required to develop adjacent green-space. Instead, an undisclosed financial contribution will be made to a ‘cash-in-lieu of parkland’ fund, with 50 per cent going to Somerset Ward.

The initial proposal was met with strong opposition by Centretown community organizations, who noted that the project far exceeded local zoning restrictions and offered little in terms of community benefits.

The general opinion amongst area-residents remains divided. Some believed the project could help revitalize the area and bring additional revenues to local businesses, while allowing more people to walk to work in the downtown core. Contrary concerns focused on increased traffic, pressure on local infrastructure and the inability to mesh with existing architecture.
Full artical is here:
http://www.centretownbuzz.com/?p=208

Is Claridge too busy for this project?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Claridge proposes 27-storey condo tower for Centretown

OBJ ContributorPublished on January 13, 2014

Ottawa developer Claridge Homes is seeking a zoning change from city hall so it can build a 27-storey condo tower at 287 Lisgar St.

By Jacob Serebrin

According to a “community heads up” sent out by city staff on Monday morning, the 81.6-metre building would have 173 residential units and 10,070 square metres of gross floor area.

The property, located west of O’Connor Street and east of Bank Street, would have 152 parking spaces on eight levels of underground parking.

Before development can go ahead, however, the property will need to be rezoned to allow for its height.

The site was subject of a dispute between Claridge Homes and the City of Ottawa in 2010. The city had rejected a rezoning request from Claridge, who was seeking to build a 16-storey building at the site.

The Ontario Municipal Board overruled the city but the development did not go ahead.
http://www.obj.ca/Real-Estate/Reside...r-Centretown/1

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
8 levels of underground parking! That has to be a record! You'd REALLY have to want to drive somewhere to bother getting out of that garage!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 6:30 AM

27 floors.

27 floors.

27 floors.

27 floors.

...Claridge.

(I'm practicing spoken word)

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 6:41 AM
National Capital Region

This was rejected by the City as being pre-mature in mid-2009 because the updated Centretown CDP had not been done yet. 4.5 years later it's still not in place* due to appeals, and probably won't be in place until 2015 since the hearing doesn't start until Fall 2014

*assuming multiple sections or the whole OPA has been appealed - not sure of the details of the case. Perhaps this site is OK.

edit: site plan application has been posted and references the new secondary plan/CDP, not the old one
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9YKH3M

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jan 14, 2014 at 2:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
27 floors.

27 floors.

27 floors.

27 floors.

...Claridge.

(I'm practicing spoken word)
It may be 27 floors, but don't worry....

The podium has been designed to closely match and complement the scale of the
neighbouring two and a half storey building (2.5) to the east and to maintain a sense
of human scale along Lisgar Street. The podium contains some articulation and
modulation of building heights ranging from 1 to 2 storeys to provide additional
street-level architectural interest, and further minimize the scale of the podium. The
variation in height of the podium, the strategic recesses in the building wall and the
high degree of glazing will ensure that the building maintains a low-scale and open
feel.

from the Planning Rationale Report...it will closely match and complement the scale of the adjoining 2 1/2 storey building !!!!!!!!!!! and it will have a low scale and open feel.

I am sure that when news that this application had been filed for a 27 storey building, that the local elected official was not impressed...and that is saying it lightly.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 3:33 PM

So this would be almost directly in front of the SOHO Lisgar, no?

If so... sucks for those who just bought a unit at SOHO with north/downtown view.

At least the SOHO "tower" is shorter than 27 floors so it wouldn't make another "ceiling" of 27 floors on Lisgar, adding a tiny tiny bit of variance between the two

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:04 PM
National Capital Region

85.2 metres... unless we are counting the 'spire' as part of the height?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:14 PM

Not exactly in front of Soho Lisgar but it will be across the street, slightly to the east.

If my sight lines are correct, the new project will block the Soho views of the Bell Place and new commercial building on Elgin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
So this would be almost directly in front of the SOHO Lisgar, no?

If so... sucks for those who just bought a unit at SOHO with north/downtown view.

At least the SOHO "tower" is shorter than 27 floors so it wouldn't make another "ceiling" of 27 floors on Lisgar, adding a tiny tiny bit of variance between the two

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:44 PM

It's not a bad building IMO. Good setbacks, blank walls are less blank and bricked as opposed to just concrete As much as I'm not a fan of the beige brick, it will add colour to a mostly black and white skyline and it sure beats CP's precast junk. I also kind of like the spire-ish type deal.

The design is also different from Claridge's usual. Not identical to the CPs or the Gloucester and Nepean towers. Of course, as always, I'm disappointed with yet another 27 storey building.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 5:17 PM

At there very least, I won't complain if "contempo-deco" is the new teal glass.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 5:22 PM

SOHO Lisgar is going to look like a dwarf.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 8:51 PM

Nice, the render is pretty good looking. I like the top/spire as others mentioned and I also like that it is not very bulky so it will look pretty good at 27 stories. I kinda looks like Hudson Park condos in Ottawa, no?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 12:09 AM
National Capital Region

Citizen article
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Cl...124/story.html

here's the render - architect Douglas Hardie

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 1:08 AM

No balconies on the lower/mid floors? I can't tell.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 1:17 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Claridge files new 27-storey condo proposal for Centretown

By David Reevely, OTTAWA CITIZEN January 14, 2014 6:02 PM

OTTAWA — Developer Claridge Homes wants to turn a parking lot across from Dominion Chalmers United Church into a 27-storey condo building, part of a growing district of high-rises in northeast Centretown.

The proposal needs a rezoning — Claridge applied for one this week — to change rules set for the site by the Ontario Municipal Board. The tribunal ruled in 2010 that Claridge could put a 16-storey condo there, over city council’s objections.

But since then, the city has approved a new neighbourhood plan for Centretown, which designates a wide strip of land along the downtown business core for buildings as tall as 27 storeys, which is what Claridge is proposing. It would join several other towers of about that height, many of them also Claridge projects, either under construction or approved in the area around Nepean and Metcalfe Streets.

The building (designed by Douglas Hardie) would look like a spire for now, surrounded as it is by two- and three-storey low-rises, but the idea is that eventually the rest of that land would be filled in by new towers, too. Claridge wants the rules bent so that the tower wouldn’t have to be set back from the street as far as the city ordinarily requires for something that tall: Instead of stepping back several metres at the two-storey mark, the next 25 storeys would rise practically straight up. There’d be a bit of pulling back at the corners.

But the OMB allowed that for the 16-storey building. “The difference in the experience for the pedestrian between a 16 storey and a 27 storey building is negligible as such,” Claridge’s application argues. Also, the 16-storey Soho Lisgar condo building, which is in the final stages of construction just across the street, is built in much the same way, with “shallow setbacks, small building floor plates and minimal podium treatments.”

The Claridge Plan for 287 Lisgar St. would have 173 units, nearly all of them one-bedroom condos (but one townhouse-style three-bedrom unit down at street level). An eight-storey underground garage would have 152 spaces, and one entrance with cars crossing the Lisgar Street sidewalk.

Since the application has just been filed, there’s no date set for city council’s planning committee to consider it.

dreevely@ottawacitizen.com

ottawacitizen.com/greaterottawa
© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Cl...124/story.html

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
Not exactly in front of Soho Lisgar but it will be across the street, slightly to the east.

If my sight lines are correct, the new project will block the Soho views of the Bell Place and new commercial building on Elgin.
As I was walking my dog, I took a moment just now to see how it would impact my fellow Soho Lisgar north facing neighbours.
It's true that Claridge's tower will not be directly in front, but to the side parking lot. I don't think it will be a negative aspect in terms of the view as it will block some of the low rise ugly buildings on Nepean.
Construction on the other hand is another story.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa