HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 8:43 PM
Ham-burgher

My parents live east of the RHVP between King St. and the escarpment, in an area where the homes were built between the early 1970s and late 1980s; mostly 3-4 bedroom split level SFHs with fairly large yards front and back and now mature trees.

They've twice had people knock on their door in the past year, unsolicited, asking for their opinion about the neighbourhood. Both cases were Toronto folks looking at re-sale homes nearby. One was a fairly young girl (mid-20s my mom guessed), single and no children, whose parents were helping her find a "starter" home.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
You didn't have to live near a main arterial road. It's a big city with lots of places to live.

I was on Main Street earlier this week mid afternoon and I never got over 40kph. It was stop and go right through downtown.
Most cities' cores do not feature fast arterial roads with minimum-width sidewalks directly adjacent to the roadway, and slip lanes between streets downtown. In Hamilton, it seems like you have a choice between living near downtown in relative proximity to jobs and amenities, but with very uncomfortable walks along poorly-designed arterial roads to get there, or in suburban neighbourhoods where walking around is less unpleasant, but there's nowhere to walk to.

I don't know what to tell you about the fact that you experienced stop-and-go traffic on Main Street. Sometimes there is some traffic; other times cars race down it. All the time, it's a five-lane one-way with no buffer between car traffic and the sidewalk.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
Most cities' cores do not feature fast arterial roads with minimum-width sidewalks directly adjacent to the roadway, and slip lanes between streets downtown...
^ This! Hamilton is so far behind modern cities. It's astounding that we have 2 4-lane one-way highways, disguised as "streets".

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 2:39 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
^ This! Hamilton is so far behind modern cities. It's astounding that we have 2 4-lane one-way highways, disguised as "streets".
Well you probably shouldn't live in a city if you are afraid of cars. I grew up in the area you used to live in and it was more likely that you would get hit by a car on one of the side streets in the area. I had friends get hit running out from between parked cars on the side streets but not on King or Main.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Well you probably shouldn't live in a city if you are afraid of cars...
"Afraid of cars"? Are you being sarcastic or...? It's not 1957, it's 2017. Cars aren't in charge of city life any more.

Main and King are mostly deadzones, especially Main. Inner-city highways don't add much to the quality of life.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 4:02 PM

Quote:
..and it was more likely that you would get hit by a car on one of the side streets in the area.
It 'was' more likely. Speed limits are being reduced throughout the city. Not that everyone slows down, but I have noticed most do.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation