HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos

Old Posted Mar 5, 2008, 5:09 PM

Thanks Flar!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 3:58 AM
Hammer'd

So, I told you guys I'd do Lister. I made my return last week, sadly it was during the night so the photos are less than what I was hoping to achieve. I am horrible at using manual focus during the night, so a lot of my shots were crap. Here's the better ones.

(3rd floor hallway, one of the worst looking halls in the building)

Ground floor arcade looking towards James North arcade entrance.

View of James North from the roof.

I hope to return during the day to re-shoot. It's a little hard because of the security guard, but he does occasionally take breaks.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 4:31 AM

Great shots!! I'm glad these 3 photos turned out great.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 3:24 PM
Closed account

Awesome shots! So creepy!

I remember there was a time when James North along this stretch was as dark at night as Rebecca St currently is. Thank God for streetscaping! The street looks great at night now!

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I hope to return during the day to re-shoot. It's a little hard because of the security guard, but he does occasionally take breaks.
Be careful!!!! The cops have busted people twice in the past week and a half for trespassing! They caught people in there on the 18th (day time) and 24th (evening) of this month. I have seen the cop’s presents around there more lately then ever before.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 7:34 PM
Hammer'd

I'm always quiet and mindful of my surroundings. So far in my handful of years going into Lister, I haven't had any issues. I'd be willing to bet that the people who got caught were doing stupid things like hanging out of windows, smashing things or yelling and screaming on the roof.

Many a time I've watched people doing this from outside, including setting off fireworks on the roof. Very stupid. There's a lot of dumb kids that wander into the Lister Block, many of them are to blame for some of the fires and vandalism in there.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 9:45 PM
Closed account

wow...great shots. judging by the lack of traffic and people on James St, I'm guessing you were there very late on a weeknight??

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 9:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

wicked thread.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 11:39 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
wow...great shots. judging by the lack of traffic and people on James St, I'm guessing you were there very late on a weeknight??
It was about 2am on Good Friday night.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2008, 1:13 AM

They are filming the “Max Payne” movie around the Lister right now. James is closed from Wilson to King and King William and Rebecca are closed from Hughson to James. They have sprayed snow all around on the streets. It will be closed until 6am. This is the filming that was to happen last Thursday.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 9:26 AM
Wiki Ricki

Good stuff flar. Keep er coming.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 6:01 PM
Hammer'd

Sorry about the lack of updates recently. I did a ton of exploring in SW Ontario (Woodstock, London, areas in between) but nothing in Hamilton recently. I'll definitely update when I can, and I'm happy to answer any questions about buildings in the mean time.

A bit off topic, seeing the Capitol Theatre in Woodstock was awesome. It felt like our Century theatre here in Hamilton but in much better condition. I hope Woodstock realizes what they have and takes advantage of it.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Sorry about the lack of updates recently. I did a ton of exploring in SW Ontario (Woodstock, London, areas in between) but nothing in Hamilton recently. I'll definitely update when I can, and I'm happy to answer any questions about buildings in the mean time.

A bit off topic, seeing the Capitol Theatre in Woodstock was awesome. It felt like our Century theatre here in Hamilton but in much better condition. I hope Woodstock realizes what they have and takes advantage of it.
Is any part of that mental asylum complex in Woodstock still standing?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 10:13 PM
Hammer'd

Yes, there's one building left of the Oxford Regional Centre. It's a long building that is completely gutted. I only have one shot of it myself and it's pretty bad, so here's one taken by my friend that I got in the way of.

The whole building is like that, just empty corridors.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 1:22 AM
reilu meininki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
They are filming the “Max Payne” movie around the Lister right now. James is closed from Wilson to King and King William and Rebecca are closed from Hughson to James. They have sprayed snow all around on the streets. It will be closed until 6am. This is the filming that was to happen last Thursday.

Fake snow on the side of Lister Block, with lighting rigged up to the side.

(Taken from within Lister Block)

(Set HQ)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 1:35 AM
reilu meininki

Lister Block

The light of James St. pours in through one of the few open windows inside.

Me watching the night life below in the now demolished extension. 2:30am: The Fever night club has it's last call, and the drunks wander out onto the street, looking for lust, or a fight.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 11:52 PM
Hammer'd

Was wondering when you'd stumble onto SSP, and I certainly knew that you'd get in on this thread

That was a good night I might add. I haven't had a trip to Lister that peaceful for awhile.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 12:19 AM
Hammer'd

A treat for you guys, the old Lyric/Century theatre on Mary St. Just one shot from me, my others are pretty bad.

This would be the area directly behind the stage. To get to it you need to descend the ladder you can see in the picture. It's about 12-15 feet tall and very rickety.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 3:30 AM

Wouldn't you have to ascend it before descending it?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 7:18 AM
Hammer'd

Nope. We came in the place from the rear offices, which are through the hole that the ladder goes up to. You basically have to descend that ladder to see the rest of the place. (I hope that made sense)

Anyway there's an order to comply regarding the hole in the boards at the back, so no harm in me mentioning the entry method. It should be sealed up soon... and I'll be glad, because that place really is a death trap. The wooden floors are just rotted right through all over the office areas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Hamilton Photos