HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:29 PM

"Pro" soccer team relocating to Hamilton

The Canadian Soccer League has a team moving from London to Hamilton. This league has a reputation for match-fixing, and has not been sanctioned by CSA or FIFA.

http://www.hamiltonscores.com/2016/0...-in-steeltown/

So many unanswered questions, including where will this Hamilton City team play? A comment made in a London Free Press article says the team "will be based in Stoney Creek". Is there a professional-level field in SC?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Is there a professional-level field in SC?
Yeah, Players Paradise Sports Complex at 565 Seaman Street.

source

source

Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomax View Post
Yeah, the Players Paradise Sports Complex
Looks like a great facility, but that's an indoor field with synthetic turf. I wonder where their league games will be played?

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 5:00 PM

Regarding the CSL team, they're playing out of Cardinal Newman.

When the stadium got torn down, we lost Brian Timmis field. I thought that the plan was to replace it somewhere nearby. Whatever happened to that?

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Regarding the CSL team, they're playing out of Cardinal Newman....
According to Nustadia ( http://bookyourfield.com), the field has seating for 800.

Hope the CSL isn't counting on paid attendance revenue

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 5:21 PM

The CSL isn't even sanctioned by the Canadian Soccer Association anymore. It's full of fixed games and players who bet on themselves.

It's a rogue league.

EDIT: I see movingtohamilton beat me to the punch.... a while ago.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Regarding the CSL team, they're playing out of Cardinal Newman.

When the stadium got torn down, we lost Brian Timmis field. I thought that the plan was to replace it somewhere nearby. Whatever happened to that?
Think its still slated to be built at the old glass factory land on gage avenue north of barton. Not sure how big it will be. It's supposed to be used by the new public highschool as well.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 6:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton soccer team names trademarked, 'Hamilton Steelers' among them

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilt...ames-1.3805030

Two Hamilton soccer team names have been trademarked, as a pro soccer team inches closer to reality.

Trademarks for the Canadian Premier League, the Hamilton Steelers and Hamilton United were all filed at the end of September.

The trademark information says the Steelers and United names include soccer competitions, games, and a host of merchandising like apparel, jerseys, and mobile apps.

The information for the league includes the organization of soccer competitions and soccer games.

Soccer Canada is still keeping quiet on the issue, as no official announcements about a league have been made. "We don't have anything to comment on at this time," said Brad Fougere, spokesperson for Canada Soccer.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have exclusive rights to soccer at Tim Hortons field, but the team has a deadline of March 2018 to get a team on the field, as per its lease agreement at the stadium.

John McGrane, a Canadian soccer hall-of-famer and 25-time national team member, said news was "imminent" of a pro soccer team when he proposed a bubble dome over the field back in February.

"This proposed dome wouldn't be being built if a professional soccer team wasn't a cornerstone," he said, in a previous interview. "The dome would not be built without the advent of a Canadian premier league."

Ticats owner Bob Young is to also be involved with the team.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 7:36 PM

By the original agreement, Bob Young was supposed to have a team in there by now... but this article's saying his deadline's 2018? When did the extension happen, anyone know?

I'm getting bummed out waiting... This thread was started in 2009.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2016, 8:05 PM

Was the deadline a set date, or did it say the team has to be in place within a set time after the stadium's completion?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 5:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

New Canadian pro soccer league makes major hire
Paul Beirne was also the first employee of Toronto FC

http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/...es-major-hire/

In a major step toward its projected 2018 debut, soccer's Canadian Premier League has hired its first official employee.

And, in the Canadian footy world, he's a biggie.

Paul Beirne, who was also the first employee of Toronto FC, is the project manager for the new professional league which he says will start play with "six to 10 teams across the country." Most will be there for the projected league kickoff in 2018, he says, although some might wait until 2019 to begin play.

"It's totally viable (for 2018)," Beirne told The Spectator Monday morning. "I'm just helping sift through what is real and working hard to make it happen."

Beirne was TFC's vice-president of business operations from 2006 until leaving the club in 2013 to join the Ottawa Senators of the NHL as vice-president of ticketing, then to second-tier British soccer franchise Brighton as its head of commercial development.

Long before finally enjoying on-field success the past couple of years, TFC had been a smash hit off the field and in business circles, and the bulk of the credit was given to Beirne and his department.

"Paul is known as one of the best soccer business executives in Canada," says Scott Mitchell, CEO of the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, who will own a team in the new league and will play out of Tim Hortons Field.

"He's a very passionate guy about the Canadian concept and the opportunities for Canadian professional soccer."

Beirne reiterated what people associated with the proposed league have said since the earliest seeds were planted three or four years ago: it's about Canada and giving the upper tier of men's players a career target at home, instead of trying to hopscotch their way through the hit-and-miss process of playing pro soccer in other countries. He says that most Canadians who've been able to do that, have done it through their own initiatives.

Major League Soccer, the continent's top pro league which has teams in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal, does not provide many playing opportunities for Canadians. And it is, officially, a U.S. league.

"Canada has always been a big supporter of soccer," said Beirne. "And while professional leagues have come and gone in the past, they haven't failed because of fan support.

"The core principle of the league is developing Canadian talent at the top level. Right now we have a big pyramid of players in Canada and it doesn't have a top to it."

While TFC, the Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps are all in the MLS -- a cross-border pollination sanctioned by the Canadian Soccer Association -- TFC and the Whitecaps also have second teams in the United Soccer League, and FC Edmonton and Ottawa Fury are part of the North American Soccer League, with the Fury set to move over to the USL for next season. There are also other Canadian sides at lower levels of the USL.

"It's a complicated structure and it is all based in the U.S.," Beirne says, "and this is not that. It's Canadian."

Beirne says when it comes to potential ownership groups "there's not a lot to talk about", although the Tiger-Cats are in and have a played a significant role in getting the concept off the ground. It's expected that ownership in some other Canadian cities will have either full or partial connection to CFL teams.

It's anticipated that there will be teams in Hamilton, Regina, Calgary and Winnipeg and perhaps Victoria and that the Fury and Edmonton FC will move over to the CPL as well.

There has been speculation that at least one British Premier League team is interested in owning a team in the nascent Canadian league.

While MLS teams have come around to expressing some interest in the CPL one recent report out of Toronto suggested that the league would not allow those teams to field clubs in their own city, where they would not be viewed as the top team in town. Beirne would not comment on that.

The new league will have some form of quota system to ensure that Canadian players have significant opportunities, although the roster ratios and how long an implementation period will be required is not yet known.

Beirne did confirm that potential CPL club owners would have to be deep-pocketed and that there would be a salary cap.

"That, combined with making sure expenses are under control," Beirne said. "Sport is a funny business, you want to maintain a viable business but you also want to win. Owners need to be protected from themselves.

"Expenses will be controlled not just for players but for everything."

The CSA -- which is riding a tailwind with the women's team winning another Olympic medal, and Vancouver's Victor Montagliani the upset winner of the CONCACAF (The North and Central American and Caribbean soccer federation) presidency – will be involved in the league both structurally and financially although Beirne said, "I'm not able to talk about that right now."

There will be a lot more to talk about in the next few weeks as the league moves toward a spring 2018 kickoff, but bringing Beirne on board is the most significant public indication to date that Canadian will have its own premier league within 18 months.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2016, 6:38 PM

I'm really curious how this league will compete with the MLS teams.

Also the first post in this thread is from February of 2009. A long time coming.

Old Posted May 7, 2017, 10:42 PM

Hamilton Canadian Premier League (CPL) Soccer Team

CBC Hamilton: Hamilton named a founding city for Canadian pro soccer league

Hamilton team to play out of Tim Hortons Field, home to CFL's Hamilton Tiger-Cats

Tim Hortons Field hosting a soccer game during the 2015 Pan Am Games (The Associated Press)

May 7, 2017

A new Canadian pro soccer league will feature a team from Hamilton playing in the Tim Hortons Field stadium, the Tiger-Cats' Caretaker Bob Young announced.

"Today is an historic day for soccer fans, aka footie followers, in our country," Young wrote. "Almost every Canadian has played soccer at one time or another, now we will have our own league to cheer for and for our kids to aspire to play for."

The Canadian Soccer Association voted Saturday to form a professional league, the Canadian Premier League (CPL).

A new Canadian pro soccer league will feature a team from Hamilton playing in the Tim Hortons Field stadium, the Tiger-Cats' Caretaker Bob Young announced.

"Today is an historic day for soccer fans, aka footie followers, in our country," Young wrote. "Almost every Canadian has played soccer at one time or another, now we will have our own league to cheer for and for our kids to aspire to play for."

The Canadian Soccer Association voted Saturday to form a professional league, the Canadian Premier League (CPL).

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 1:03 PM

I've been following this for a long time. Glad to see it finally (officially) announced.

Old Posted May 8, 2017, 6:06 PM

The full letter from Bob Young:

Fellow Hamiltonians,

Today is an historic day for soccer fans, aka footie followers, in our country. Almost every Canadian has played soccer at one time or another, now we will have our own league to cheer for and for our kids to aspire to play for*.

The leadership of the Canadian Soccer Association (CSA) has shown outstanding commitment to its vision for the future of soccer in Canada with the decision to ratify the Canadian Premier League (CPL) today.

The CPL will fill the existing void in the national Canadian soccer development platform by operating a top level professional league, both on and off the field. The CSA and the CPL's shared commitment is to foster the development of Canadian players.

Most importantly, I'm really excited the Canadian Soccer Association has approved Hamilton's application to become an official member of the CSA. This approval allows our Hamilton team to apply and join the CPL at the appropriate time. When that time comes, our club will play out of Tim Hortons Field, which has proved to be a world-class soccer stadium and has consistently provided a best-in-class live viewing experience for all of its events. The stadium successfully hosted a Canada Women's National Team game back in 2015 and all men's and women's soccer games at the Toronto 2015 Pan American Games.

This day is only possible thanks to the unwavering support of soccer fans across Canada, such as our own Barton Street Battalion supporters. They have tirelessly drummed up interest and support locally (and nationally) for the CPL and Hamilton's future soccer club over the past 15 months.

This is just the beginning of the fun and excitement to come! We'll share the details of Hamilton's professional soccer club in the coming weeks. We will be working with Canada Soccer and its many members, sponsors, fans, followers and supporters as all of us together work to make the CPL into one of the most entertaining and progressive footie leagues in the world.

Until then, visit www.hamiltonprosoccer.ca to become a Hamilton CPL fan.

Cheers,

Bob

Caretaker, Hamilton Tiger-Cats (the other football club in Hamilton)

*With three daughters myself, I'm only too aware that there isn't (yet) a Canadian women's professional soccer league.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 4:42 PM

There's a survey where you can vote for the CPL team name here ---> timhortonsfield.com/hamiltonsoccer

I came up with this ...

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 1:06 PM

I like the Hamilton Steelers, but then thought we need to move away from that as perhaps we might one day outgrow our steel city reputation. Instead, I propose "Hamilton Hustlers" - I think it represents the general mode of Hamiltonians and the city as a whole, including encompassing it's history and current reputation as an industrial city. Being the ambitious city that we are, we gotta hustle. Thoughts?

Old Posted May 25, 2017, 11:28 PM

I'm not sure about the Hustlers...honestly, I could get behind thomax' suggestion for the CPL team name.

I had to wrack my brain to remember the name of that CTV show PowerPlay. Hamilton's NHL team was the Steelheads (as in the trout) in that show.

I think Hamilton FC might be best. If it's a named team, maybe the Lakers? That's already used by Nipissing, but I don't think they're really known for soccer.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 5:40 AM
Ham-burgher

I kind of like "United". It may be a traditional footie team name, but it's also got some delicious irony given the politics of Hamilton. Maybe it would be a beacon for what so many locals hope to achieve (in spite of the locals who may hope otherwise).

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 1:59 PM

Hamilton FC or Hamilton United. Please, no references to steel

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation