HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I get why the community doesn't like what's happening on Parkdale; it's a narrow, traffic jammed street (and yes, I realize that balancing jobs/residential might help with traffic) that will eventually be lined by a wall of 30 story buildings.

In the case of the Claridge Somerset proposal, I'm more supportive. The two (for now) buildings are different height and, thanks to the O-Train corridor, is more opened. Somerset at that location also does not have as much traffic (although its jammed in Chinatown and jammed on Wellington West).
Parkdale has a good share of it's problems because of the parkway entrance/exit, queensway on/off ramps, and that it intersects with two main thoroughfares for getting in/out of downtown (Carling/Scott), as well as by a commercial street (Wellington). I wonder if the hospital on one end, and a market and gas station can be added to what causes this traffic? I fully support these buildings (though I'd rather see the 20+ along Scott), but I'd really like to see better alternatives to cars in this neighbourhood. That'll be a good 5 years, eh?

Some were talking about how 1040 Somerset building is at a location considered the "gateway to Hintonburg" and should be a beautiful building that represents it. One person who was in favour commented more on the architecture, while others said it should be a lowrise or midrise to "represent the community" and what people wanted. (I went to the meeting on Monday, and I was overall disappointed with the people and the HCA).

A lot of the people in the community feel the city and developers are taking advantage of them, and that community members know what really works and would be best for the area. But I disagree with them and really want to see this projects go up so that we can see what will happen.

I'd like to learn a how to do renderings because I have my own vision of how Parkdale Market (Wellington-Scott, Holland-Parkdale) could be transformed into, but sadly people who live here don't see it the same way.

How do people feel about Tega around the Carleton Tavern?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 6:45 PM

When they built the Queensway they should have widened Parkdale Avenue to 4 lanes. Of course that would have required expropriation (which I would have done on the west side, saving money on the Tunney's stretch) but back in those days they were expropriating left and right. Furthermore, I would have built the Rochester ramp at Booth, creating a more direct route to Hull. Again, I would have widened Booth to four lanes.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 8:16 PM
Citizen-at-large

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
They missed the positive and went straight to the negatives (increased traffic in the area and on those streets, so they will try to argue it down, like they're planning with 1040 Somerset.

The thing is, Katherine Hobbs talked about how Kitchissippi has about 11,000 people, but 42,000 jobs. Mass transit is important, but too many use their cars to come into the area (and those that live). I think having more condos/ residential units will be crucial for easing traffic and getting more people walking, biking and commuting view public transit. Yet those in the neighbourhood don't see it that way, and only want lowrise townhomes all over.
I hope the 11,000 figure is a typo or else Hobbs got that one really wrong. Per wikipedia there were 38,000 people in Kitchissippi in 2006 (must be more now). There were more than 11,000 people who cast votes in the last municipal election.

Now I would believe that there are 11,000 residents and 42,000 jobs in an area comprising Hintonburg, Mechanicsville and Tunney's Pasture.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 8:33 PM

Quote:
When they built the Queensway they should have widened Parkdale Avenue to 4 lanes. Of course that would have required expropriation (which I would have done on the west side, saving money on the Tunney's stretch) but back in those days they were expropriating left and right. Furthermore, I would have built the Rochester ramp at Booth, creating a more direct route to Hull. Again, I would have widened Booth to four lanes.
If they had widened Parkdale, in essence they would have been creating one big highway on-ramp straight through a residential neighbourhood for the primary purpose of serving the 2x per day commuter crowd. Not a fan of that idea.

The current congestion is fine - it will help get some of those commuters onto transit, which serves the area well.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post
I hope the 11,000 figure is a typo or else Hobbs got that one really wrong. Per wikipedia there were 38,000 people in Kitchissippi in 2006 (must be more now). There were more than 11,000 people who cast votes in the last municipal election.

Now I would believe that there are 11,000 residents and 42,000 jobs in an area comprising Hintonburg, Mechanicsville and Tunney's Pasture.
I think she reversed the numbers. There are 10,000 public servants at Tunney's.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawan View Post

Oops, that may be the case. This was when they were presenting the condo building on Scott/Caruthers/Stirling (212 Stirling, aka Hintonburg Station), so it could easily have been that, as Hintonburg and Mechanicsville people were present and it immediately affected them. In any case, she said there were more jobs than there were people, so it would be important to even that out.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I get why the community doesn't like what's happening on Parkdale; it's a narrow, traffic jammed street (and yes, I realize that balancing jobs/residential might help with traffic) that will eventually be lined by a wall of 30 story buildings.

In the case of the Claridge Somerset proposal, I'm more supportive. The two (for now) buildings are different height and, thanks to the O-Train corridor, is more opened. Somerset at that location also does not have as much traffic (although its jammed in Chinatown and jammed on Wellington West).
Traffic jams = customers for businesses.

Once you're out of your car, if you drove, and walking from shop to shop or sitting at a restaurant, patio or bar, you don't want a fast moving street, you want a slow moving, visually interesting street. In virtually any city, the best parts of town are the most traffic congested.

It is both a sign of the success and a reinforcing factor of the district.

Montreal: St Laurent Boulevard
Toronto: Queen Street West
New York: Village
London: SoHo
Cape Town: Long and Loop Streets
Istanbul: Istiklal

etc, etc, etc

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 11:12 PM

I don't know, seems the traffic jams on Parkdale are due to commuters wanting to get back to the burbs' ASAP.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defishel View Post
How do people feel about Tega around the Carleton Tavern?
I liked that proposal. It sucked at first but it got better over time. That area reminds me of some parts of King Street West in T.O. They've done a good job of blending 15-18 storey buildings with a one storey main street.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Parkdale will be a nightmare to drive between Tunney's and 417 but honestly that block was pretty rundown.

I think the locals are more angry that a local fav Alfa's will be torn down but I guess the Dan and his dad would have gotten a good deal for the property.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 7:34 PM

Richcraft Twin Towers Scott St. (Westboro) Proposed

Not sure if this has been posted before (I did a search for Richcraft in the Subject and didn't find a relevant thread) so here goes

The march of condo towers south on Parkdale Avenue is continuing, with a new proposal from Richcraft to build a pair of towers south of Scott Street.

The company’s request to rezone property a short walk from the Tunney’s Pasture transit station comes a few months before the city is due to finish a neighbourhood plan for Scott. It’s reminiscent of what happened last year around the Carling O-Train station, with a rush of condo proposals filed before a neighbourhood plan could limit development there.

Richcraft’s idea is to replace a short commercial strip and a handful of small houses between Scott and Bullman Street with one 32-storey condo tower reminiscent of a stack of multi-floor glass blocks, and a 28-story tower next to it with a curvier look. Combined, they’d have 499 units, according to paperwork filed with the city, plus retail on the ground floors and 350 underground parking spots.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/busines...761/story.html

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 7:38 PM

Old Posted Aug 30, 2013, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Man View Post
Thanks. Mods feel free to delete/close this thread!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 1:57 PM

Westboro is west of Island Park, btw.
(Knowitall)

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
(Knowitall)
Agreed.......a lot of people don't seem to know the actual boundaries of Westboro but Wikipedia defines it as follows:

"Westboro is a neighbourhood of Ottawa, Canada, often referred to as Westboro Village. Located along the Ottawa River, the neighbourhood is bordered on the east by Island Park Drive, and on the west by Woodroffe Avenue. The Southern border can be stretched up to Carling Avenue. Westboro's northern border is defined by the Ottawa River."

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 3:17 PM

Where Wellington West becomes Richmond.

Last edited by J.OT13; Sep 2, 2013 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McC View Post
(Knowitall)
Yep.
If you're on Wellington you're in Wellington West (or hintonburg in the eastern portion).
If you're on Richmond you're in Westboro (up to Woodroffe).

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 1:37 PM

Parkdale & Scott (twin Richcraft towers) | 103M & m | 32fl & 28 fl | Proposed

I know there was already a thread for this, but the title didn't follow our naming convention, and it mislocated the project in Westboro, so I'm creating a new one.

Was anyone at the public meeting last night at the HCC? Didn't see much twitter chatter from the HCA, just a little bit from the President this morning.

For reference:

Quote:
The development proposal consists of two (2) separate buildings located within the block bounded by Scott Street to the north, Parkdale Avenue to the east, and Bullman Street to the south. At the north end of the block, a 32-storey residential building with commercial uses at grade is proposed at the corner of Scott Street and Parkdale Avenue (1518 Scott Street and 250 Parkdale Avenue). At the south end of the block, a 28-storey residential apartment building with commercial uses at grade is proposed along the intersection of Parkdale Avenue and Bullman Street (266-274 Parkdale Street & 9-15 Bullman Street).

The 32-storey north building will contain 208 residential apartment units and 2,350 m2 (25,294 sq. ft.) of commercial retail and office space on the ground floor. A total of 190 vehicular spaces will be provided underground to serve the proposed development, including residential, visitor and commercial parking. In addition to vehicular parking, a total of 120 bicycle parking spaces will also serve the development.

The 28-storey south building will contain 291 residential apartment units and 1,243 m2 (13,381 sq. ft.) of commercial space proposed to be occupied by a retail food store. A total of 260 vehicular parking spaces and 160 bicycle parking spaces will be provided underground to serve the residential and commercial uses in the building.
Planning Rationale and renders here: http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...ionale.pdf.PDF

Other application docs:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__9OUIJD

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 1:39 PM

blerg. and I messed up the thread title, too.
should say: Parkdale & Scott (twin Richcraft towers) | 103m & ?m | 32fl & 28 fl | Proposed

Mods? Mo-ods?! MODS!? Help me Mods!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 1:52 PM
National Capital Region

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa