HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 8:10 PM

lots of people go away that time of year anyway - lots make annual treks to hawaii or mexico they ain't gonna change that

Old Posted Nov 6, 2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
It would be a better statistic if they told us what the base number for the 30% up is
Haha, that's a good point. If the number is something like 20,000 people usually travelling away in Feburary, then 30% increase is an extra 6,000 people. Even if the numbers of usual travelers are much higher, a 30% increase doesn't even make room the extra that are coming. Hardly a mass exodus by any measurement.

And so what? Olympic sports, and winter sports aren't for everyone. Just because we build a new hospital in Abbotsford doesn't mean everyone should break their arm and check out it's services.

I'm looking forward to the Olympics and being here during it, but I don't care if a small minority are fleeing the city. Just keep it to yourself, don't throw eggs at me while I try and have a good time.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2009, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Expo was accessible but not cheap. Bear with me here, but a 1 day pass to Expo was $20, never discounted. In today's dollars that's about $35. Cheaper sure, but not "cheap". Many people opted for a 3 day pass at around $35 in 1986. This is pretty much equivilant to the most expensive museum in the world.
Gotta laugh at this.

At the end of summer 1985, I was visiting Vancouver contemplating moving there. I saw an ad that Expo 86 Season's Passes were $19.86 only at Woodwards and only until Labour Day. I knew I wanted to see the Expo (whether I was living there, or just as a visitor), so I made a bee-line to Woodwards on Hastings and snapped one up.

All my friends in Vancouver & at back home woudn't stop razzing me about wasting all that money! On an Expo that'll be a bust like Spokane's!

I ended up moving there sharing with friends who had a place at Commercial & 1st. At least once a week, after work downtown I would wander through the grounds & see a different pavillion each time (getting my passport updated too!). Sometimes I'd grab supper at a pavillion too. Eventually I'd find the SkyTrain station & head home.

Some nights were spent with friends at the concerts (The opening night concert for Prince Charles & Princess Diana - I laughed when Brian Adams riffed the opening chords to 'Diana' - a Big Royal NoNo; KD Lang in full-on CowgirlPunk mode - with the Edmonton Symphony; Krafwerke; Eurythmics)

Meanwhile family & friends would visit for Expo and all I heard was "Do You Know How Expensive a 3-day Pass Is?!?" "You can't see everything in only 3 days" Some people spent half a day in the lineup for GM Pavillion alone.

I nodded in agreement and smiled and remembered my 'wasted' $19.86 spent on the season pass.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 5:20 PM

Don't take your love away from meeeee....

I'm looking forward to the Olympics and being here during it, but I don't care if a small minority are fleeing the city. Just keep it to yourself, don't throw eggs at me while I try and have a good time.

You realize that's a contradiction, don't you?

Seriously, there seems to be an angry tone towards some of the people that have "confessed" they won't be in town for 2010. Like, chill. It doesn't exactly make for a convincing display of Olympics boosterism. "Good riddance". Uhh???

I believe there's a "CityGate" pioneer who posts regularly on this board. I'd really like to have their opinion on the early closure on Quebec Avenue between 1st and 2nd Avenues. As a "nearby pioneer" myself, I would imagine this will make Main Street a real traffic hell-hole. What do you think?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj Mahal Traveller View Post

You realize that's a contradiction, don't you?

Seriously, there seems to be an angry tone towards some of the people that have "confessed" they won't be in town for 2010. Like, chill. It doesn't exactly make for a convincing display of Olympics boosterism. "Good riddance". Uhh???

I believe there's a "CityGate" pioneer who posts regularly on this board. I'd really like to have their opinion on the early closure on Quebec Avenue between 1st and 2nd Avenues. As a "nearby pioneer" myself, I would imagine this will make Main Street a real traffic hell-hole. What do you think?
Present.

I would like nothing more than to get the heck out of Dodge, but work won't let me. CityGate's gonna be the unhappiest place on earth.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 8:25 PM
Vancouver User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
How many of those 1/3 rented their house in Surrey to the king of Nigeria for a Godly sum?

The Olympics actually provide people time to go on a good, fully paid for, family vacation. If they manage to rent out their house.
I think there's a few more Nigerian kings looking for accommodation, so if you two want to go on a fully-paid vacation you can list your royalty-worthy abode on the site in my sig.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2009, 12:12 AM

s211: Thanks for the quick and candid reply. Living nearby, I really hear you. Without getting too specific about my whereabouts, my home will be semi-surrounded or "pinced" by the closure zones. That's why I'll be enjoying the Games -from far, far away. Kill your boss and join me. Ha, ha....

As for renting out my place...I have to supress the urge to laugh when people ask me about that. It's full of my crap and comes with a cat that is more demanding than the combined royalty of any nation. I'll be lucky to find a cat sitter/saint.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]