HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 7:09 PM

2010 Volunteering

I was thinking that it's likely there are a number of people volunteering for the 2010 Olympic Games. I'm personally working as an Olympic Family driver during the olympics, doing 15 shifts each around 10 hours a piece. They have over 5,000 volunteers for transportation alone, with 4,629 GM cars on loan to serve this need.

It would be interesting to hear from all of you who are part of this once in a lifetime movement.

One exciting thing I just learned is that all volunteers have the chance to see the dress rehearsal for the opening ceremonies (Feb.10). And volunteers get free public transport anywhere in the Lower Mainland until March 24. I think I heard it's also possible to take the Whistler shuttles for free with Olympic accreditation. Looking forward to hearing from all those who are volunteering!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 8:00 PM

I'll be volunteering at the convention center doing accreditation - basically making badges for employees, volunteers, media, athletes, etc. I'll be doing eight hour shifts in the weeks ahead, but they want me doing 12 hour shifts during games-time!

I started this thread a few months ago on the same note.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=174214

Last edited by GeeCee; Jan 6, 2010 at 8:12 PM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 8:06 PM

I wonder if they'll be doing body cavity searches for cameras on the Olympic ceremony dress rehearsal

Do let us know what you see

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 10:18 PM
Hello World

Volunteer here ! I got my uniforms picked up yesterday along with my badge. The things you get are pretty nice, I have to say, although the clothings need to be tailored. There's a lot of nice chatters among total strangers during the whole process of picking up the uniforms because everybody is so excited. I was talking to this nice German lady too and we rode the bus back to downtown together from PNE. So, now that I have the badge, can I now use public transportation for free !? I wanna go EVERYWHERE, lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
I'll be volunteering at the convention center doing accreditation - basically making badges for employees, volunteers, media, athletes, etc. I'll be doing eight hour shifts in the weeks ahead, but they want me doing 12 hour shifts during games-time!

I started this thread a few months ago on the same note.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=174214
Hey you working at the convention centre too ? That's great. If we got similar shifts, we should definitely say hi to each others !

Last edited by NetMapel; Jan 7, 2010 at 12:11 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2010, 11:54 PM

how do you volunteer?

is it too late? i thought it was all done a year ago

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 12:14 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
how do you volunteer?

is it too late? i thought it was all done a year ago
Oh yeah I applied to be a volunteer at least a year ago. We have all gone through interviews and general trainings by now. What is left are volunteers picking up their uniforms and also venue-specific trainings.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 12:16 AM

thats what i figured

i was working when the call went out - had i known i would be laid off and jobless during the olympics i would have volunteered - oh well

i can just wander amok downtown instead

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 12:20 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
thats what i figured

i was working when the call went out - had i known i would be laid off and jobless during the olympics i would have volunteered - oh well

i can just wander amok downtown instead
Oh yes I understand your pain. I was laid off this year too and am happy that got this volunteer thing to take my mind off of the pain of being laid off. I think there are still paid (but most likely temporary) positions available for the Olympics through private businesses. I think those positions are mostly catering and security. In fact, you can probably look up Metro News for their classified sections because I see those kind of ads there before.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 12:26 AM
Vancouver User

I think if you have accommodations there's still volunteer spots open in Whistler.

My mother-in-law is volunteering at Pacific Coliseum IIRC.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMapel View Post
Hey you working at the convention centre too ? That's great. If we got similar shifts, we should definitely say hi to each others !
I'm working almost every Saturday and Sunday starting Jan 16th through the 13th when i start working 8-8.. I think I'm gonna make it out to the dress rehearsal as well if I can, though that is midterms time for me.

I was laid off as well, though when I applied I was employed, and arranged to take time off for the Olympics hehe..

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 12:33 AM

yah i've heard there are some jobs but i don't if it will screw up my EI

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 12:34 AM
Hello World

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
I'm working almost every Saturday and Sunday starting Jan 16th through the 13th when i start working 8-8.. I think I'm gonna make it out to the dress rehearsal as well if I can, though that is midterms time for me.

I was laid off as well, though when I applied I was employed, and arranged to take time off for the Olympics hehe..
So Jan 16th to Feb 13th, eh ? I think we will bump into each others for sure then. I need to double check my work calendar, hahaha ! I avoided signing up for a 12 hour shift so I'll be working either day or evening shift per day. I can't imagine being there the whole time because it'll be totally exhausting. I also signed up for volunteering while I was employed too and planned to arrange for time off, but that no longer matters now =_=

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 7:52 AM

I think they are still looking for driver with class 4 license.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]