HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 12:48 AM

Ex mother in law? Ex wife? Just wondering...

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 11:41 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
$55 million doesn't seem like a lot of money for an iconic building. When I saw the renderings, I didn't think that it looked overly attractive but it is very interesting.

The view below looks good. It might actually turn out to be a good design if it turns out as well as the renderings. In other words, I am not sure if I like it or not . If the majority of people want it then I hope that it will proceed on budget. However, people have the right to say if they don't like it.

PS: I think that people should have some reservations - when I see the design, one question that I have is whether it can really be done for $55 million dollars. If it turns out to be much more, then at what point will people say that it is too much? (of course by that time it will be too late)

Very cool design! I didn't realize that Halifax has such forward thinking architecture! What is the status of this beast?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 1:23 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
When is it supposed to open exactly? I just remember hearing 2014.
Last I heard is that there was to be a soft opening late 2013, and the official opening early 2014... so building construction and basic completion of interior etc will be two years from now.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2011, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Very cool design! I didn't realize that Halifax has such forward thinking architecture! What is the status of this beast?
They're digging the hole. Webcam shot here:

http://www.halifaxcentrallibrary.ca/webcam.html

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 12:06 AM
Salty Town

Crane must be days away?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 5:54 PM

I've beem checking the webcam and the excavators have been off the site for about a week now. There is a concrete pumper truck on site today in the area that looks to be excavated for a crane base. So maybe soon we'll see a crane and foundations. They also expanded the fenced area last week, it has taken over a northbound lane of Queen St. for deliveries. EllisDon certainly seems to be running a smooth operation thus far.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 5:56 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Is it confirmed that there will be a single crane?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 6:22 PM

The spot where I think one is most likely based is off on one side, pretty much right in front of the new Chickenburger. The building has a large footprint, so I could see there potentially being need for a second crane.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 7:06 PM

I walked by here yesterday and saw some activity: two construction workers skipping stones in one of the giant puddles at the bottom of the pit.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 7:31 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
The spot where I think one is most likely based is off on one side, pretty much right in front of the new Chickenburger. The building has a large footprint, so I could see there potentially being need for a second crane.
Yeah, I suspected that this might be a two crane job because of the footprint, but I don't know. In any case it will be nice to see one or more cranes up. The library will probably be pretty visible from the south/east since there are fewer highrises in that area. You can see small buildings like the architecture addition to the (I think?) Medjuck building from many angles. The Clyde Street developments will also provide some bulk.

If I recall correctly, the Paramount had two cranes at one point -- a tall white and blue one and a small shorter one.

How's the Chickenburger turning out? Are they building it in a style similar to the Bedford location? It would be cool if they had a nice neon sign made.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yeah, I suspected that this might be a two crane job because of the footprint, but I don't know. In any case it will be nice to see one or more cranes up. The library will probably be pretty visible from the south/east since there are fewer highrises in that area. You can see small buildings like the architecture addition to the (I think?) Medjuck building from many angles. The Clyde Street developments will also provide some bulk.

If I recall correctly, the Paramount had two cranes at one point -- a tall white and blue one and a small shorter one.

How's the Chickenburger turning out? Are they building it in a style similar to the Bedford location? It would be cool if they had a nice neon sign made.
Yes, the paramount had two, they kept the smaller crane at max 3 or 4 floors above the one they were working on, when they had to raise it, they just hooked it onto the larger one and boosted it up a few floors.

Most of the Chickenburger work is happening on the inside, they built a concrete pad off one side that now has an overhang above it, it must be a small patio or outdoor ordering area. Structually the building will probably look the same as the house has for years, so it won't look like the original Chickenburger, but I'm sure they can dress it up with some neon lights.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 3:04 AM
Salty Town

Concrete was poured for the crane base today. The concrete looks as though it is a base from which another base will be formed up for the crane or cranes.

Library cam
http://www.halifaxcentrallibrary.ca/webcam.html

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmillion View Post
I walked by here yesterday and saw some activity: two construction workers skipping stones in one of the giant puddles at the bottom of the pit.
Ah union work ...lol

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 12:56 PM

Looks like there is a large concrete pour underway in the centre of the excavation.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 4:30 PM

Lots of concrete, no crane base yet though. Photos by me.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 12:28 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Just found this rendering and I don't recall seeing it in this thread. It's still approximate but it shows a more realistic context than the others:

From: http://www.canadianconsultingenginee...on/1000711870/

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 2:02 AM

Guy at bottom right: "WTF...???"

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 2:44 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

They should add a small glass panel floor on the part that overhangs the sidewalk.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
They should add a small glass panel floor on the part that overhangs the sidewalk.
Why would anyone want to look down 4 storeys to a sidewalk?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 12:14 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
Why would anyone want to look down 4 storeys to a sidewalk?
Like the CN Tower, but just 4 storeys up?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth