HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 3:43 PM

Hows this going to affect the view inbound from ORD on the Kennedy? Its a great vista right now as is allowing you to see the whole of the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 4:21 PM

Wow! On multiple dimensions:
  • rgarri, your model is incredible
  • Holy cow this is going to be hugely transformative
  • There HAS to be a huge transit component for this thing to work. One metra stop, some bus routes, and a water taxi isn't going to cut it

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 4:50 PM

[QUOTE=rgarri4;8464022]I added the Lincoln Yards to my 3d model with the current proposed heights and man is this project huge. I didn't realize how much this thing looms on the horizon until I modeled it. I can maybe understand how its controversial but I still really hope it gets built. It's like another skyline!

I wasn't able to get textures for all of the towers but it's all speculative anyways. Sorry if the video is jerky. I'm experimenting with a drone mode in the model for the first time.

rgarri4 - Your video "Unbuilt Chicago" is sick! What ifs.....

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 3:56 PM

What is that new high rise next to the Sono buildings? Is that the lot that is fenced off there?

Old Posted Feb 9, 2019, 9:54 PM
TL;DR

The reality is that we are approaching the end of a cycle and neither Lincoln Yards nor The 78 nor the River District (everyone keeps forgetting that one, also a huge project ) will really get going until the next cycle. If DPI moves forward, probably The 78 will have the biggest head start since DPI is an institutional project and less vulnerable to market cycles.

It’s still a huge unknown what office tenants, if any, Sterling Bay can land at Lincoln Yards. Prospective office tenants will be just as wary as we are about the limited transit access, and the market for rentals will likely slow down quite a bit by the time LY gets its zoning and TIF approved. So that leaves... condos? Belgravia has already launched sales on condos at Triangle Square nearby. Will be interesting to see how that performs.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
We are 6 years in to Wolf Point
Actually. we will be 46 years in to Wolf Point in May

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 3:08 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelfish View Post
Wow! On multiple dimensions:
  • rgarri, your model is incredible
  • Holy cow this is going to be hugely transformative
  • There HAS to be a huge transit component for this thing to work. One metra stop, some bus routes, and a water taxi isn't going to cut it
While a subway would be awesome, I wonder if this isn't the sort of thing that wouldn't be perfect for a "sky tram" type thing?

From the Western Blue Line to Damen and Cortland to the Metra station with a couple stops in LY, to Fullerton station the east sides of the Children's development, and then maybe to the LP Zoo.

It'd be good for LY but also for linking east LP to the Blue Line for airport runs and suburbanites coming in for the Lake and Zoo,etc.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 10, 2019, 8:08 PM
Urbane observer

^That’s a very interesting idea. One unexpected issue I noted on La Paz’s Green Line is that it goes right over the top of rich people’s houses on the hilltops en route to Irpawi, and Teleférico passengers have a view right into their swimming pools, patios, and bedrooms. I’m sure there must have been fierce protests, and you can imagine the routing problem when going over Chicago’s wealthiest neighborhoods. Although I suppose we could always make the gondola windows turn translucent when they go past certain blocks, the way Singapore does on the Bukit Panjang LRT Line.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2019, 4:52 PM

Don't know if this is already posted, but there's a Chigov.com article that came out Friday with links to the planned development applications for Lincoln Yards North and South.

I flipped through them and it looks like there are some images that haven't been linked here yet too.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 9:58 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
^That’s a very interesting idea. One unexpected issue I noted on La Paz’s Green Line is that it goes right over the top of rich people’s houses on the hilltops en route to Irpawi, and Teleférico passengers have a view right into their swimming pools, patios, and bedrooms. I’m sure there must have been fierce protests, and you can imagine the routing problem when going over Chicago’s wealthiest neighborhoods. Although I suppose we could always make the gondola windows turn translucent when they go past certain blocks, the way Singapore does on the Bukit Panjang LRT Line.
It looks like Mexico City's recent arial tram and Colombia's recent transit ones ended up costing $25-30 million per mile, including stations about every km, within the past decade. Even if it cost four times that much in Chicago, that would mean roughly $300 million from Western Blue Line to Fullerton Red/Brown/Purple.

Isn't the developer at the 78 paying most of the $300 million for the Red Line 15th Street station? Why can't the Lincoln Yards developer pay a similar amount to do something people have wanted for decades - a grade-separated, cross-town link from Bucktown to Lincoln Park. Then the City or State could fund the last mile to push it to Lincoln Park for access to the lakefront, LP Zoo, and the Nature Museum.

It seems to be that, while I'm sure there are some complexities, on the surface it sounds like exactly what's needed. To partially address the privacy concerns, it could be routed along the 606, where neighbors are already accommodating potential privacy loss. It's a quiet mode of transport, so it wouldn't disrupt the park, it lessens the need to acquire private lands, and further improves transit access to the 606. It would also provide a little suggestion of extending the trams west to the Western terminus of the 606, and maybe South from there into Humboldt Park for improved access in the future, if it proves a success.
[/SIZE]

Last edited by emathias; Feb 12, 2019 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2019, 11:33 PM

Any inside info on the TIF voting today?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2019, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOgc View Post
Any inside info on the TIF voting today?
https://chicago.curbed.com/2019/2/20...-district-vote

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 5:03 PM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...key-vote-nears

March 05, 2019 09:15 AM updated an hour ago

Lincoln Yards adds affordable housing as key vote nears
City officials have reached a deal with Sterling Bay that could help the $6 billion megaproject move forward.

Danny Ecker

Quote:
Sterling Bay will add more on-site affordable housing to its plan for Lincoln Yards, a key change that could help the Chicago developer win city approval for the $6 billion megaproject before Mayor Rahm Emanuel leaves office in May.

Sterling Bay is looking to clear a hurdle toward that goal later this week when it presents its vision for 55 acres along the North Branch of the Chicago River to the City Council's Zoning Committee. The developer has doubled the previously planned amount of affordable residential units that would be within the boundaries of Lincoln Yards, according to Ald. Brian Hopkins, whose 2nd Ward includes the Lincoln Yards site. The move is meant to meet demands of low-income housing advocates and several Chicago aldermen, including Zoning Committee chair Ald. James Cappleman, 46th.

Under the latest version of the plan, which city officials will announce later this morning, Lincoln Yards would include 600 affordable housing units on-site, or 10 percent of the total number of residential units Sterling Bay has proposed.

The previous version, which was approved Jan. 24 by the Chicago Plan Commission, called for 300 affordable units on-site. Under that model, Sterling Bay would have met the rest of the city's affordable housing requirement through a combination of building such housing within 3 miles of Lincoln Yards and paying $39 million to the city's low-income housing trust fund to benefit affordable housing elsewhere in the city.

Hopkins said other tweaks to building height and density guidelines for Lincoln Yards are being discussed and could be announced as soon as tomorrow.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 8:20 PM
Urbane observer

I assume the plan for parks and transit is still

Hope Really Hard.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 8:53 PM

I pray for 100% affordable housing and 100% parkland.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 1:35 AM
Show me the blueprints

What in the f**kety f**k?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 1:41 AM
The City

Doesn’t the CTU shitshow want developments like this to generate property tax revenue and hence help pay for their benefits and pensions?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 1:44 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Doesn’t the CTU shitshow want developments like this to generate property tax revenue and hence help pay for their benefits and pensions?
That's the thing, Lincoln Yards won't generate property tax revenue because it will all be diverted through the TIF to pay for local infrastructure. If the plan for Lincoln Yards evaporates tomorrow, then the two TIF districts expire and all that land goes full back on the tax rolls.

There's very little for CTU to like about Lincoln Yards... but for the rest of us, this will deliver much needed new infrastructure to a congested part of the city as well as parkland and more housing.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 1:49 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
That's the thing, Lincoln Yards won't generate property tax revenue because it will all be diverted through the TIF to pay for local infrastructure. If the plan for Lincoln Yards evaporates tomorrow, then the two TIF districts expire and all that land goes full back on the tax rolls.

There's very little for CTU to like about Lincoln Yards... but for the rest of us, this will deliver much needed new infrastructure to a congested part of the city as well as parkland and more housing.
Well there will be no property tax revenue to speak of at all if this project gets shot down. I’m talking future revenue after the TIF expires, which would occur eventually.

Furthermore, it’s kind of ironic that TIFs like this to fund infrastructure investments wouldn’t be needed if the city wasn’t diverting so much of its revenue to pensions like that of the CTU.

Of all people, I figured school teachers would understand their math a bit better.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 3:18 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Well there will be no property tax revenue to speak of at all if this project gets shot down.
Seriously? You don't think 55 acres of vacant land in between Bucktown and Lincoln Yards, freed of its PMD restrictions, would ever be developed without hefty city subsidies?

And what the hell does Chicago Public School pension payments have to do with City of Chicago infrastructure funding? CPS money can't be used for building streets and sewers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development