HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 10:49 PM

Ford's attack on the judiciary is good news.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 10:55 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by doady View Post
ford's attack on the judiciary is good news.
Red tape!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Ford's attack on the judiciary is good news.
Only if you're a retard.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 10:58 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
This might be the ugliest politics I can remember in my lifetime. It's an abuse of power. There are no words to describe how much I hate Doug Ford and his power hungry family.
What a stain on the body politic that family has been. In what crazy corner of Bizarroworld was the decision made that the most pressing item on Ontario's agenda was a petty personal vendetta against Toronto city council? And now he resorts to Constitutional fuckery via the notwithstanding clause as a means of getting back at city councillors who didn't like him?

One can only hope that this ugly, dangerous rightwing populist lunacy will serve as a cautionary tale for future elections.

I miss sanity. I miss Wynne.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 11:00 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
How can you celebrate your Premier throwing out Constitutional Rights for petty personal vendettas? Can you not see that one day the shoe will be on the other foot? Think of the precedent this sets.

As for respecting the rights of others to have different views, Dog sure seems to have a problem with that. Is he still planning on creating teacher snitch lines? What an Orwellian shit show!
He's no saint, but anything's better than Wynne...pissing away our money and doing it with a smile. I enjoy sticking it to her and Tru-dope, hardcore politicians make me vomit.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 11:04 PM
SUSPENDED

Another Ivory Tower liberal judge heard from. Yet another example of why we need a constitutional change to allow the recall of judges who try to legislate without being elected and accountable. If they want to Effect laws, then like any legislator they must be accountable. Enough of political judicial juntas in Canada.

Good for Ford.......

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 11:09 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
He's no saint, but anything's better than Wynne...pissing away our money and doing it with a smile. I enjoy sticking it to her and Tru-dope, hardcore politicians make me vomit.
What about hardcore shitbags? Cause that's what Doug Ford is. And if you think for a second that he won't use his power to personally enrich himself then you're delusional. He's no different than Trump or Biff Tannen. He's a greedy, corrupt populist. A living breathing Dunning Kruger effect.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 11:10 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Another Ivory Tower liberal judge heard from. Yet another example of why we need a constitutional change to allow the recall of judges who try to legislate without being elected and accountable. If they want to Effect laws, then like any legislator they must be accountable. Enough of political judicial juntas in Canada.

Good for Ford.......
Enough of the Constitution! Populists should be able to do whatever they want and settle scores! How dare an ivory tower liberal judge try to uphold Constitutional rights!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 11:18 PM

Let's face it, the Ontario hinterland voted in Ford to get even with Toronto. Conservative supporters are jumping up and down every time Ford settles the score with city of Toronto. Put them in their place!

We have to remember that judges are appointed. They are anti-democratic. They need to be made accountable. Sound familiar?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 11:24 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:

Good for Ford.......
This is probably a waste of time, but in case you're not really the total knob that your forum persona is, here's a basic article to help you understand what's going on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judicial_independence

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 11:27 PM

I'm no fan of judicial activism but this was most definitely not it. All the judge is asking for is a responsible process - the council reduction doug want can be stupid and petty and still legal as long as it doesn't happen during an election campaign.

I'm not in Ontario but if I were this would be enough to convince this moderate conservative to never vote for him. For reference, Justin's compelled speech summer jobs program put him and his party on that list for as long as he leads it.

I've got a thing against electing petty, anti-democratic leaders.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 11:37 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
What about hardcore shitbags? Cause that's what Doug Ford is. And if you think for a second that he won't use his power to personally enrich himself then you're delusional. He's no different than Trump or Biff Tannen. He's a greedy, corrupt populist. A living breathing Dunning Kruger effect.
All politicians are hardcore sh!tbags, I just don't like the extreme left and extreme right. Tru-dope and Wynne are extreme left, practically NDP. Ford is a right winger but not extreme like those other two. I couldn't give a rats ass about politics except when it effects me or my community/family/innocent people. Wynne's debt binge and corruption will require massive cost cutting and suffering when the next recessionary cycle hits. Do-gooders can also be sociopaths you know, and 'caring' spend-a-holics can create more suffering in the long term. The union mafias and political class need a kick in the nuts, and that's why Dougy boy got elected.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 11:46 PM
Fake News

Quote:
All politicians are hardcore sh!tbags, I just don't like the extreme left and extreme right. Tru-dope and Wynne are extreme left, practically NDP. Ford is a right winger but not extreme like those other two. I couldn't give a rats ass about politics except when it effects me or my community/family/innocent people. Wynne's debt binge and corruption will require massive cost cutting and suffering when the next recessionary cycle hits. Do-gooders can also be sociopaths you know, and 'caring' spend-a-holics can create more suffering in the long term. The union mafias and political class need a kick in the nuts, and that's why Dougy boy got elected.
Except you’re only kicking yourself in the nuts and yelling ‘owned you Libtard!’.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 11:52 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Except you’re only kicking yourself in the nuts and yelling ‘owned you Libtard!’.
That's your opinion, I don't mind an obnoxious dictator, I only care about social integration of immigrants and healthy government finances. I consider voting for Wynne and Trudeau to be kicking ourselves in the nuts and then getting butt raped by a transgendered Somali imam.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
That's your opinion, I don't mind an obnoxious dictator, I only care about social integration of immigrants and healthy government finances. .
Then why do you choose to live in a country grounded in democratic principles? One of the most important of which is a strong and independent judiciary to keep runaway idiots in line.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:14 AM
The Fruit of Discipline

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Then why do you choose to live in a country grounded in democratic principles? One of the most important of which is a strong and independent judiciary to keep runaway idiots in line.
Because I'm indifferent to it, I'm not anti-democracy, just anti-sociopath. Doug's an asshole, but Wynne and Trudeau are narcissistic sociopaths. My priorities in any elected official are reigning in overspending and social integration.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:

Good for Ford.......
Being from Alberta, I can now only assume that you would have no problem with BC invoking the Notwithstanding Clause with the TM pipeline and closing the entire issue down once and for all?

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:16 AM

I prefer the conservative party the most out of Canadian political parties ("taboo"! I know, I know), but I have a pretty strong dislike for Ford. As far as I can tell however, he is a symptom of the current political climate, and I hate it. (Both the political climate and virtually every candidate/front runner). All one can hope is that the rest of the MPP's in power 'disarm' some of Ford's craziest ideas.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:17 AM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Because I'm indifferent to it, I'm not anti-democracy, just anti-sociopath. Doug's an asshole, but Wynne and Trudeau are narcissistic sociopaths. My priorities in any elected official are reigning in overspending and social integration.

You’re probably supporting the wrong politician then. Unless you happen to be a lawyer or own a consulting firm, of course.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2018, 12:18 AM

The decision does really feel like an activist judge overstepping his bounds. He cited things like city council themselves not wanting a reduction in city council size. Really, how is that relevant? Why not ask workers at a company if they would like to be laid off. Totally irrelevant.

Is the only driver of the rejection a "charter 2b" violation? I mean, think about how reducing the size of city council results in a charter 2b violation. If there was some legitimate law being broken, fine, strike down the action, but reducing city council as a charter 2b violation? Seems to me a judge can reject anything they want as a charter 2b violation using that logic.

Ford might not be popular, and you might not like him, but activist judging making up rules to strike down unpopular decisions is not the path to keep Ford in balance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada