HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 2:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
My response to the commercial:
I like the response.

And people wonder why AZ has an image problem. If I see that, I'm packing my camping gear and s'mores and coming out to the "sticks" of Scottsdale, Arizona for a western adventure.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2010, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
the skanky hoes you ssee in scottsdale though, aren't interested in anyone who isn't wearing an Afflicition shirt and driving a 10 year old BMW/Mercedes. They also generally have nothing going on upstairs.
will an 8-year-old lexus do???? lol. hey, it's finally paid off!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 12:27 AM
Skyriser

What the hell is going on in Scottsdale? I noticed Acme or whatever that big bar is in the Kiva Center was closed along with practically EVERYTHING else downtown at around 10. Wtf?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 12:44 AM
BANNED

Same thing that's always been going on... unless it's a Fri/Sat night, it's dead. I stayed at the Valley Ho a couple of Sundays ago and it was eerie how dead the streets were, even compared to downtown on a summer weeknight. Walked from Scottsdale to 68th on Main and didn't see one car or one person, but there was a loose dog. Go there at 10 on a Saturday night and the place is a zoo though.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2010, 1:23 AM
Skyriser

I had been there in the past, even the week prior and it was way busier.

Dead is one thing, but to see all these venues closed was quite another.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 6:09 PM

Scottsdale Beach Club plans laid out by Triyar20 commentsby Edward Gately - Apr. 5, 2011 09:11 AM
The Arizona Republic

The latest phase of Triyar Entertainment's makeover of downtown Scottsdale's entertainment district is a high-end beach club on the northeastern corner of Stetson Drive and Wells Fargo Avenue.

Triyar purchased the nearly 2-acre parcel several years ago and has been working on its plans for redevelopment, said Shawn Yari, Triyar's owner. It now houses an older medical office building, and most tenants already have vacated, he said.

Triyar plans to invest around $6 million to build Scottsdale Beach Club, a one-story complex that will include a resort-style pool, four bar areas, private cabanas, a floating stage overlooking the pool, the state's largest LED video screen, locker areas with showers, a full restaurant, a poolside taco bar, and clubhouse area with video games, billiards, shuffleboard and TVs.

"It's a day place and a nighttime place," Yari said. "Maybe a girlfriend and a boyfriend come, and the girlfriend wants to lay out and the boyfriend wants to watch an NFL game, you're going to get both experiences. That's the idea."

Triyar developed the W Scottsdale Hotel & Residences southeast of Scottsdale and Camelback roads.

In 2007, Triyar proposed a $390 million redevelopment of a 10-acre area southeast of the same intersection, with new clubs, restaurants, condos, offices, a hotel and a bowling alley.

That plan was scrapped when the recession hit, and Triyar has instead focused on a smaller, more gradual plan to redevelop the entertainment district.

The first phase was the Downtown Entertainment Plaza, a three-building restaurant/bar complex on Saddlebag Trail south of Camelback. Majerle's Sports Grill and El Hefe Super Macho Taqueria already have opened there, and a soon-to-be named nightclub will open in the third building.

"The reason we selected this location for the pool is it's centralized, it's a large piece of land and initially the main component of our large development was going to be there," Yari said. "And we felt that, what a unique situation it will be that in the middle of the desert you create a beach club."

The idea behind the beach club is to offer the atmosphere of a "hip hotel pool without the hotel," he said. The beach club will include a 15,000-square-foot building, 35,000 square feet of outdoor space and at least 60 parking spaces.

"Obviously we have the W Hotel and we operate the pool there," Yari said. "We do allow some public in . . . but at times we have to limit that because hotel guests have to take preference over somebody who comes in and wants a lounge chair. This is unique in the sense that this is built for the general public."

Last weekend, a similar concept debuted in the entertainment district with the opening of Spanish Fly on the property that used to house Drift, a Tiki lounge, at 75th Street just north of Stetson. It is the latest creation of Greg Donnally, the entrepreneur behind Drift, Stingray Sushi, Geisha-A-Go-Go and Jimmy Woo's.

"I really like those guys and I really think they're going to do great," Yari said. "I believe in synergy and I think they're going to serve a different customer and we are going to serve a different customer. And even if it's the same customer, they can spend a couple of hours there and come spend a couple of hours with us."

Triyar doesn't need to request rezoning because the property's current commercial zoning designation allows for the beach club, he said.

Triyar will have to obtain a construction permit, contingent on approval of its plans, and a bar conditional-use permit from the city, said Dan Symer, senior city planner.

Triyar hasn't yet submitted its application to the city, he said.

Demolition of the medical office building should begin in June followed by several months of construction, and then the beach club should be ready to open in mid-to late summer 2012, Yari said.

"Visitors absolutely are going to come and enjoy it, but in the dead of summer . . . people who live here are going to have a great time there and (without the) restrictions from a hotel," he said.

In the meantime, Triyar has begun planning the third phase, which may include a "hip bowling concept," Yari said.

"The pool took 100 renditions to finalize and we're probably in the fourth rendition of the third phase, so it's just beginning to mold," he said. "We're talking about a lot of concepts and different size buildings, how to address parking and things like that because, as the area gets denser, at that point we're going to have to start talking about structured parking."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...#ixzz1Ifo9MYPw

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 6:15 PM
BANNED

I thought I read articles about Triyar being in terrible financial shape and was sued by numerous contractors who didn't get paid for the construction of the W.

Anyone else know anything about that?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 6:16 PM
BANNED

more douchebaggetry!!!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 7:57 PM
Skyriser

The building that's there is 2 stories from the 50s and quite handsome. De-densification is stupid.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX4LIFE View Post
Hey tell me what you guys think of this Scottsdale commercial that will be aired on TV in other states.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngjzoYU2_Rw

Would it attract you to Scottsdale?
I can't get on the video. I need you do correctly right youtube video that I can watch. Why your video is private?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 3:30 PM
Skyriser

Scottsdale simmers more than we talk about it on this board...

Rush is on to build 3,500 Scottsdale apartments
by Peter Corbett - Oct. 7, 2011 12:48 PM
The Arizona Republic

Quote:
Alliance Residential Co. wants to build 264 apartments and retail at the northwestern corner of Scottsdale Road and Lincoln Drive.

The mixed-use project would replace vacant, two-story office buildings on 7.5 acres in Scottsdale. The property borders a planned Ritz-Carlton resort in Paradise Valley.

Phoenix-based Alliance submitted its development plans for the property last week. No date has been set for a Scottsdale Planning Commission hearing on rezoning the site from a commercial-office category to a planned unit development.

Alliance's gated apartment complex would feature units ranging from 630 to 1,100 square feet. The apartment buildings would be three stories high along Lincoln Drive and four stories to the north.

Parking would be in an underground garage with elevator access to the apartments. The one-story retail shops would be built in a second phase.

Alliance officials did not return calls seeking comment on their development plans.

The proposal is the latest in a rush of apartment projects in Scottsdale. Close to 3,500 apartments are in the works across the city.

That includes more than 1,000 that have already been approved in downtown Scottsdale and at SkySong, the Arizona State University Innovation Center. Plus, there are a few hundred more in the pipeline nearby at the Los Arcos Crossing redevelopment site.

Another 1,565 apartment units have been proposed in three separate projects within the Scottsdale Airpark - the former Barcelona nightclub site, the Crackerjax property and the former car dealership next to Costco.

The Scottsdale Planning Commission unanimously recommended approval of all three of those projects Sept. 21.

Developers are counting on attracting renters who lost homes or who are spooked about buying in the current housing market. The risk is that too many apartments will get built over the next few years and an oversupply would hurt rental prices.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 4:56 PM
BANNED

3,500 apartments...very impressive. It is a renter's market now, good to see projects reflecting the new reality.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 9:17 PM
self-important urbanista

Multi-story apartment complexes with underground parking -- this sounds like the perfect type of transit-oriented development for Downtown and Midtown Phoenix. How ironic that it's happening instead in rail-resistant Scottsdale.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
What the hell is going on in Scottsdale? I noticed Acme or whatever that big bar is in the Kiva Center was closed along with practically EVERYTHING else downtown at around 10. Wtf?
You have absolutely no idea when Metro light rail will approved to extension on Rural Rd/Scottsdale Rd. On whether who will decide to start light rail expansion. I wasn't sure about this one.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 10:28 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
You have absolutely no idea when Metro light rail will approved to extension on Rural Rd/Scottsdale Rd. On whether who will decide to start light rail expansion. I wasn't sure about this one.
What? I was talking about when downtown was completely dead on a Sunday night.

That doesn't have anything to do with when LRT will run on Scottsdale Rd, which will be effectively never. Scottsdale left the Metro board in 2009, and as long as they have trolls and NIMBYs like they always have in their leadership, they'll never get it.

Scottsdale Road is already a designated high capacity corridor but light rail would *never* pass a public vote in that town by itself as is presently required. They'd have to rejoin Metro for it to happen before the whole county voted yes on funding extensions not currently planned--a massive sales tax in and of itself--and Metro would piss all of Scottsdale off in the process.

Last edited by combusean; Oct 14, 2011 at 11:29 AM.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 12:25 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^Considering all of that I've recently turned my hope to Scottsdale becoming accessible to LRT via a line on Camelback. If all Scottsdale had to put up with was a line barely going into their City limits, from 64th St to Goldwater, maybe that would actually have a chance of happening.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 5:51 PM

This makes sense and I've wondered why they didn't do residential from the start. This place is what CityNorth was supposed to be. I know a lot of people here don't like it, but I think the majority of people out there do...it's "urban" without the "undesired aspects."

Quote:
Scottsdale Quarter apartments slated
Phoenix Business Journal by Jan Buchholz, Reporter
Date: Friday, November 18, 2011, 4:00am MST

Zaremba Group has outlined plans to build an $80 million luxury apartment development in the Scottsdale Quarter, a high-end retail center that always was meant to include a significant multi­family component.

Contracts have yet to be signed, but Kent Chantung, director of residential development for Zaremba’s Western region, confirmed the company was selected from among more than a dozen competitors to construct 350 units that will be closely integrated into the design of a major retail anchor.
The selection was made by the center’s developer, Glimcher Realty Trust .

Chantung would not dis­close the identity of the proposed anchor, but the Phoenix Business Journal reported Oct. 14 that Glimcher is negotiating with Bloomingdale’s and Nordstrom to locate a store at the center near Scottsdale Road and Greenway Parkway in Scottsdale. If Bloomingdale’s opens there, it would be its first store in Arizona. Nordstrom has stores at Scottsdale Fashion Square and Chandler Fashion Center.
“This is not a cookie-cutter, run-of-the-mill opportunity,” Chantung said. “It’s not just another deal to us.”
The opportunity to locate adjacent to a powerful retailer and to work in tandem with Glimcher takes this project to a much higher level, he said.
Glimcher and Zaremba both are based in Ohio, but the two have never worked together. Chantung said he hopes the companies will team on other projects, given that Glimcher is a national player in retail and mixed-use development and Zaremba is building its profile.
Glimcher officials declined to comment.
Zaremba is best-known as the buyer of the mothballed Centerpoint project in downtown Tempe. That project languished for more than two years after financing dried up when the economy tanked.
Centerpoint’s original developer, Avenue Communities, also known as Tempe Land Co., lost the project in a foreclosure action. The lender, ML Manager LLC, took possession and then sold the massive two-tower project to Zaremba for $30 million — a fraction of the estimated $135 million Avenue Communities already had spent building it. The deal closed in February, and Zaremba renamed the project West Sixth.
By September, Zaremba had the first tower finished and fully rented. The second tower now is completed and tenants began moving in this week. It was delivered ahead of schedule and is 50 percent full. The majority of the units are leased by Arizona State University students.
Chantung said the Scottsdale Quarter project is a perfect next step for West Sixth tenants who graduate or want a taste of the North Scottsdale lifestyle. The goal, he added, is to build loyalty to the developing Zaremba brand.
Once contracts have been signed, Zaremba will purchase the land parcels from Glimcher where the apartments will be constructed. The price was not disclosed.
Height details are being negotiated between Glimcher and the city of Scottsdale, Chantung said. He envisions several midrise buildings with four stories of apartments over retail and parking. Construction could begin in the third quarter of 2012 with completion 18 to 24 months later.
At least four other luxury apartment projects are in the works in the same area, but Tom Simplot, president and CEO of the Arizona Multihousing Association, believes the rapid delivery of rental projects in the area is warranted.
“With vacancy rates stabilizing in many submarkets in the Valley, there will be pent-up demand for additional apartment units by the end of 2012,” Simplot said. “Many of the new projects in the pipeline are set to open in late 2012 and early 2013, just in time to maximize the return on market conditions.”
Chantung also confirmed that Zaremba is in negotiations to secure a high-profile site in Old Town Scottsdale where another luxury apartment complex will be built. He declined to give details, but said more information will be forthcoming in the next several weeks.
“We’re not winding down with the completion of West Sixth. We’re not going to sit back. We’ve set out to find new challenges,” Chantung said.

Last edited by HX_Guy; Nov 18, 2011 at 6:07 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 9:23 PM

I heard the 3,500 units would be reduced, especially given that the Scottsdale Airpark is against all of the units planned within their development zone. They cite the possibility of noise complaints (or the eventual fallout from noise complaints) due to the airport's private jet facility. Besides the total planned area for the entire 3,500 apartments is not a compact, urban layout but a traditional sprawling patchwork of properties. The density and height required to built that many units in Old Town of near Fashion Square causes brain hemorrhaging at City Hall and with the nimbys (the 13 floor Waterfront Condo development for instance). Remember... Scottsdale will always be a glorified golf haven for old-timers first, with some decent efforts to live up to the NYTimes billing as the South Beach of the Desert (at least on Weekends).

If I were Stanton and the City Council, the Economic Development Department, Downtown Phoenix Partnership, and whatever other organization is focused on downtown development, reinvestment, redevelopment, etc. I would immediately being work on (more importantly a collaborative effort amongst the various downtown interest groups) recruitment material for companies that left Phoenix for what was trendy at the time (an Airpark, really?). I hear the death knell for the Airpark and its businesses if Scottsdale approves that many douche bag-friendly apartments near a vital employment hub.

Speaking of which, how about a new and expanded Private Terminal at Sky Harbor to capture the traffic that will be driven away from the Airpark?

Last edited by phxSUNSfan; Nov 18, 2011 at 9:48 PM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 6:44 PM

New crosswalk links Scottsdale Quarter, Kierland Commons

9 comments Nov. 26, 2011 06:50 AM
The Arizona Republic

A midblock crosswalk connecting the Scottsdale Quarter with Kierland Commons was scheduled to open Wednesday.

The $325,000 pedestrian crossing is designed to make it easier and safer for shoppers to cross a busy stretch of Scottsdale Road between the two shopping centers.

Transportation engineers from both cities worked on the crosswalk design, which includes simulated paver bricks in the roadway and a stone protective wall in the median. Most of Scottsdale Road is in Scottsdale but one traffic lane is within Phoenix.

Glimcher Realty Trust, the Scottsdale Quarter developer, paid $188,000 for the crosswalk and Scottsdale paid $137,000, city spokesman Mike Phillips said.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/n...#ixzz1f7aeDBJV

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 1:39 AM

Nice! At least Phoenix didn't have to put more money into the infrastructure for this sprawling cookie-cutter mess...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest