HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 4:42 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Those are good points by Lysiane. It probably has to do with the fact that Parizeau was one of a small minority of "silver spoon" French Canadian kids of his generation. He knew what wealth was and since he had a big ego, wanted the personal satisfaction of elevating "his people" to independent nation status, and also be the "father of the land" that gave his people a high level of prosperity.

He wasn't a "pull up the drawbridge to keep the masses out" type of rich guy. He was more of a "you people follow my example to the promised land" type of rich guy.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 5:02 PM

In the paper this morning you have long, very nice, full of praise letters by Philippe Couillard and PKP and François Legault (and of course plenty of editorialists, some of them federalist... oh and Gilles Duceppe too, FWIW)

Mr Parizeau helped build the Quebec of today and everyone who's not especially ignorant of this province is well aware of that.

Also, and again just FYI, Couillard (a very federalist guy, needless to say, so a default "archnemesis" of sovereigntists) is going to rename the building of the Caisse de Dépôt to a very deserved "Édifice Jacques Parizeau" (considering his hand into it).

https://www.lesaffaires.com/secteurs...arizeau/579270

Normally if there's the slightest controversy about an individual they don't get such honors, ESPECIALLY coming from a political opponent.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrAnKs View Post
You have to stay respectful even with your enemy/opponent.
No, you don't.

I didn't respect this toolbag when he was alive. Why should I suddenly respect him now that he's worm food?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Also, and again just FYI, Couillard (a very federalist guy, needless to say, so a default "archnemesis" of sovereigntists) is going to rename the building of the Caisse de Dépôt to a very deserved "Édifice Jacques Parizeau" (considering his hand into it).

https://www.lesaffaires.com/secteurs...arizeau/579270

Normally if there's the slightest controversy about an individual they don't get such honors, ESPECIALLY coming from a political opponent.
That's a classy thing to do... with the federal government, lately it has seemed like things get named after political heavyweights only when their affiliated party is in office. It's nice to see Couillard rise above that kind of petty politicking.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 11:24 PM

I never liked the man but he did a lot of good things for Quebecers especially during the 60s and 70s in bringing about the Quiet Revolution, economic reforms, and advancing the place of Francophones in Quebec society.

He was a man of his times. He spoke to a wanted social and political change that French Canada had been waiting for. In today's world however his politics seems out of place and no longer resonates with the vast majority of Quebecers.

I guess you could now say that both Quebecers and Parizeau have moved on.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
No, you don't.

I didn't respect this toolbag when he was alive. Why should I suddenly respect him now that he's worm food?
Respect is just not in your habits.

Whats wrong with you.

Respect has no side and no color you should know that.

Last edited by FrAnKs; Jun 4, 2015 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 11:39 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

A caller on VOCM said he was Quebec's Danny Williams in that he gave them back their self esteem, showed them they could be better masters of their own house, and I forget his wording of the third point but it was basically that what makes them different doesn't make them lesser.

Reading about him today, I like the way he's described. It's nice when power finds a new circle that's representative of the region it influences. Has the family decided whether to accept the offer of a state funeral yet? I hope they do.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 2:33 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
No, you don't.

Why can't you respect him for his intellectual acumen and conviction? Even if you disagree with his politics, as I do?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 6:45 AM
Look at me!

When I was a kid he was known to me as the "enemy", trying to break the country apart. As I've grown older, I realize who that man truly was. A true patriot for his cause, a fantastically brilliant mind and a great human being.

The ROC has never understood him, but yet, the ROC has never understood Quebec.

RIP monsieur.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 11:10 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
He made a lot of contributions to Quebec society in his early days. He helped bring about the obscene dominance of the minority Anglophone business community over Francophone in Montreal. He refused to let Francophones be treated as second class citizens especially in Montreal which in many ways they were. He did a lot of good and brought about a lot of needed changes in the 50s, 60s,and 70s.

All that being said he was also xenophobic and racist to his very core. He was a real believer in "pure laine" ............this idea that unless you were a Francophone you were not a "real" Quebecer. The old "money {read Jewish} and the ethnic vote" stuck with him not because he said it as all politicians have said things they regret but rather the fact that he really believed it and saw absolutely nothing wrong with it.

He was also no statesman and often was extremely offensive to the point of turning off many Quebecers as exemplified by his reference of the Canadian flag as being the "red rag"

He believed in the independence of Quebecers but only if you were his kind of Quebecer.
I mostly agree, but I'm not sure about the racist and xenophobic part since he strongly condemned/ridiculed Drainville's proposed "Charter of Quebec Values".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
he wasn't wrong about the "money and the ethnic vote" thing, he was just intemperate. it was well-known that many major quebec companies, as well as many immigrants, were opposed to separation in '95.

the english canadian media pilloried the man for saying a true thing.

what does that make us?
See, this is why some people don't like separatists. "What? What he's saying is true!"

If you examine the statement is it racist? not entirely, but it's a few shades in that direction. Does it SOUND racist? Yes, and that's why people care about it.

It also discounts the many Francophones who voted "Non" and creates an "us vs. them" attitude that sets off a lot of English Canadians. This is one of the few true and clear cultural differences between English and French Canada.

French Canada (not without some reason) has a persecution complex due to being "conquered" by the British Empire. This is the start of the "us vs. them" mentality that pervades all of Quebec. Meanwhile, in English Canada, the story is one of unification and perseverance against all odds. An "us vs. them" mentality to most English Canadians is an insult and affront to our history which has largely been one of unification. Trying to create a notion of "otherness" or "distinctness" is seen as dangerous to social and political cohesion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Wow. Un tel déluge de stupidité et d'ignorance, ça donne envie de voter "oui". Juste de penser que c'est techniquement des compatriotes, ça me dégoûte.
Well yeah, but the guy WAS an enemy to those of us who want a unified Canada that includes Quebec. Most people do not care for their enemies. It's part of why we have enemies in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That's a classy thing to do... with the federal government, lately it has seemed like things get named after political heavyweights only when their affiliated party is in office. It's nice to see Couillard rise above that kind of petty politicking.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
When I was a kid he was known to me as the "enemy", trying to break the country apart. As I've grown older, I realize who that man truly was. A true patriot for his cause, a fantastically brilliant mind and a great human being.

The ROC has never understood him, but yet, the ROC has never understood Quebec.

RIP monsieur.
Well, again, he WAS the enemy. I am capable of respecting my enemies; especially when they are charismatic and talented like Mr. Parizeau. Parizeau and I could have easily gotten drunk and discussed society, history, art, culture, etc. until the sun rose up, but we also would have been vicious opponents because our political beliefs and objectives are polar opposites on a deeply important issue.

Parizeau was most definitely an enemy to Canada, since he wanted nothing to do with and take its largest province and a huge part of its people, history, and economy with him. That hasn't changed and that will never change. He was an enemy to our nation and our unity.

But does he deserve to be villified to the extent he has been? Absolutely not. He was important to Quebec and for better or worse, shook Canada to its foundations and altered our course as a country. I disagree with the man on many things, but he is still deserve of some level of respect.

I will not miss him, but I will not drag his name through the mud either.
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 1:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post

See, this is why some people don't like separatists. "What? What he's saying is true!"

Sounds like you're insinuating that kool maudit is a separatist. Why is it that when people simply try to explain things about the separatist side, they instantly get labelled as separatists themselves on here (and elsewhere)?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 1:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

It also discounts the many Francophones who voted "Non" and creates an "us vs. them" attitude that sets off a lot of English Canadians. This is one of the few true and clear cultural differences between English and French Canada.

French Canada (not without some reason) has a persecution complex due to being "conquered" by the British Empire. This is the start of the "us vs. them" mentality that pervades all of Quebec. Meanwhile, in English Canada, the story is one of unification and perseverance against all odds. An "us vs. them" mentality to most English Canadians is an insult and affront to our history which has largely been one of unification. Trying to create a notion of "otherness" or "distinctness" is seen as dangerous to social and political cohesion.
This is an interesting passage, especially coming from you. On here you've always pleaded for unity and common ground, and used yourself as an example of how one doesn't have to pick between the so-called "solitudes" of Canada.

And yet here you've picked your side quite clearly.

This isn't meant as a burn or even a call-out so please don't take it to heart too much, but it's nonetheless true that your post here has plenty of the "us" vs. "them" in it that you've ironically been decrying about Canada for so long.

It kinda proves that a person can't really be "both".

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 1:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

I know you know your history, and that's why I am a bit shocked that you should mention English Canada's alleged "perseverance against all odds" as a trait that distinguishes it from French Canada. Really?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 2:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Regardless of which side he was on he was still a brilliant man. One of the greatest Canadian minds of his generation.

He always gave me the creeps though.
Canadian?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 3:01 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Canadian?
Yup. That was a fact. Whether you like it or not and whether he liked it or not.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Eh... Maybe because what he said is true? Immigrants are usually overwhelmingly against the separatist cause and money played a big role during the referendum. He really should have kept his thoughts to himself, but you can't deny these things happened, even as a federalist and open-minded person like me. (and I am certainly not racist or xenophobic, it is just an observation)

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 4:29 PM

Quote:
No, you don't.

Proves you don't know much. Everyone here respected him, regardless of their personal opinion on sovereignty. (Also: first thing one of his strongest political arch-enemies does is to immediately start the process of renaming a major govt building after him.) You guys really are foreigners, you just happen to live within the same country limits as us. Stuff like this really highlights it.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Well, again, he WAS the enemy. I am capable of respecting my enemies; especially when they are charismatic and talented like Mr. Parizeau. Parizeau and I could have easily gotten drunk and discussed society, history, art, culture, etc. until the sun rose up, but we also would have been vicious opponents because our political beliefs and objectives are polar opposites on a deeply important issue.

Parizeau was most definitely an enemy to Canada, since he wanted nothing to do with and take its largest province and a huge part of its people, history, and economy with him. That hasn't changed and that will never change. He was an enemy to our nation and our unity.

But does he deserve to be villified to the extent he has been? Absolutely not. He was important to Quebec and for better or worse, shook Canada to its foundations and altered our course as a country. I disagree with the man on many things, but he is still deserve of some level of respect.

I will not miss him, but I will not drag his name through the mud either.
"Your" Canada includes Quebec, does it not?

If yes... then you don't see any contradiction in there...?

To me, it seems that anyone who dearly loves, say, Scotland, can't ever seriously see Scottish nationalists as "the enemy". Culturally, it's a fundamental part of Scotland. Even if you strongly think it should stay within the UK, if you wish to completely eradicate all Scottish nationalism so that Scotland becomes just one more English region among others then you can't claim to love Scotland because clearly you don't.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 7:02 PM

Quote:
No, you don't.

Well I would say it is when you do not respect your opponent then that is when they can surprise and defeat you. I am assuming you are a fellow Oilers fan. So lets use that as a basis for an example. You should know that you should never take your opponent lightly and respect them, otherwise when you don't that is when the Oilers even under Eakins were able to win some games and in some cases by blow out. No one said admire him, but respect him as an opponent. I personally had no time for his ideology and think it would have been bad for all involved if he was able to get the votes and thank god he didn't. Why, we don't know what Canada would have became better or worse, but mostly worse. A Canada without Quebec would be without significant balance. Opposition in the government which provided some time for additional sober though would have changed us. Think about it, government opposition has mostly come from Quebec in the last 20 years. Then there is the issue for Quebec. A separate Quebec would not be what it is today and something a lot worse in my eyes. I know for sure that Montreal would not be what it is and it would have changed. I believe it would have become something totally different and in my views it would be shell of what it is now and that would be a travesty to all.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2015, 11:14 PM
video et taceo

Quote:

If you examine the statement is it racist? not entirely, but it's a few shades in that direction. Does it SOUND racist? Yes, and that's why people care about it.

i don't see this in the same way you do. i prefer bluntness and candor to the cautious and programmatic avoidance of things that may contain a shade of this or that. where the former has the capacity to spark debate and contention, the latter conceals its force through the observance of pieties.

i also do not see the difference between english canada and quebec as stemming from the same things you do. while quebec does maintain a degree of ethnic consciousness that is out of tune with post-trudeau canada, i don't find that it does so in a way that is more extreme than, say, most european countries, and i ultimately find this realistic. (but then i moved over here...) i am not, temperamentally, a new world type, and that is because i am cynical about the project: essentially, i think the high-mindedness is a thing that will last about as long as the money does.

english canada is the way it is because it is a secondary project of the anglo-american mercantile empire. where it was once tied to britain, it is now tied to america. it enjoys the prominence as an immigration-destination that it does because it is peaceful, rich and english. these first two qualities are admirable and have been sustained by much talent and ambition, but they do not represent a conquering of the world's ancient struggles; they instead represent the sublimation of these struggles that is possible with wealth and a dominant culture/language.

mercantile globalism has done much for many, but it is not the thing that will save us, as humans, from ourselves.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada