HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
Which would be shorter - a gondola south to Production Way station, or a gondola east to Burquitlam station? Perhaps they can save even more money by building it from the Evergreen Line station instead.
I think what it would be the cats meow to get Burquitlam evergreen line station built with the SFU gondola in mind, allowing for a more seamless transfer and savings in construction costs down the road. They could even use the same land and stack the stations, now that would be cool. Anyways the numbers seam to suggest that this project is reasonable and feasible, but maybe a study should be done to make sure. The real question is how do you get something like this any traction with the people with the power and with translinks budget stretched already.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 4:47 AM

The problem with going over Burquitlam is that you'd pass directly over a number of residential properties, and at a relatively low level. I don't believe there is really any residential between SFU and Production Way station aside from a few townhomes..

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 4:48 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeCee View Post
The problem with going over Burquitlam is that you'd pass directly over a number of residential properties, and at a relatively low level. I don't believe there is really any residential between SFU and Production Way station..
There is, but a lot less for sure.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayal View Post
I think what it would be the cats meow to get Burquitlam evergreen line station built with the SFU gondola in mind, allowing for a more seamless transfer and savings in construction costs down the road. They could even use the same land and stack the stations, now that would be cool. Anyways the numbers seam to suggest that this project is reasonable and feasible, but maybe a study should be done to make sure. The real question is how do you get something like this any traction with the people with the power and with translinks budget stretched already.
I believe there was talk of SFU and the City of Burnaby funding the project themselves, partially to provide reliable transport off the mountain for UniverCity residents. That's exactly what happened in Portland for their Aerial Tram - funded by the City and the University.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 6:49 PM
loafing in lotusland

An interesting study on aerial Tramways, gondolas and Bi-cable ropeways.

From what I can gather, we would probably use a Bi-cable ropeway for any SFU link.

Portland uses a reversible Ropeway ( similar to Grouse ) which are built up to about 200 passengers.

More info on this gondola/ropeway hybrid.

These have a max capacity (according to the study) of 6,200 per hour and can have much longer spans than a Gondola.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 6:52 PM
(||||||-||||-||||||)

I've been on the Portland Aerial Tram...definitely something that Burnaby Mountain should have:

~ FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 8:19 PM

How about the Funchal gondola oin the beautiful island of Maderia - this thing goes for kilometres over houses, roads and - well, anything.

Source: http://static.panoramio.com

Old Posted Dec 14, 2009, 9:35 PM

The third route option that no one seems to have mentioned yet is pushing it to Lougheed to interface better with services other than Skytrain. It's about a km longer, and would require at least one notable turn, but I see no reason it wouldn't be practical.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucromancer View Post
The third route option that no one seems to have mentioned yet is pushing it to Lougheed to interface better with services other than Skytrain. It's about a km longer, and would require at least one notable turn, but I see no reason it wouldn't be practical.
Why not run from Production Way up to SFU and then turn eastward down to Burquitlam? Hit it from both angles?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 3:32 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Diminishing returns? Unless you need the capacity why bother almost doubling the infrastructure costs?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 3:59 AM

But why build one when you can build TWO for twice the price!

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 6:21 AM

If this will get built then it will be from Lake city station. From Production there are way to many residential townhouses in the way and you have the same problem from Burquitlam. From Lake city you get a direct route and you only have industrial in the way.

Here is a pic of mine from page 2 of this thread again.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 1:35 AM
Registered Loser

not sure if anyone would take the tram from ioco to sfu....................

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 2:00 AM

yah maybe deep cove side would be better for that grand idea

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy View Post
not sure if anyone would take the tram from ioco to sfu....................
There are massive redevelopment plans around the old thermal plant. There is huge potential in the area and a quick and easy connection to the milllenium line skytrain would significantly speed up that development. Not only that it would probably atleast double the value of the land in the area so a partnership with developers in the area could not only pay for the entire tram line but make a profit for Translink. This doesnt include the fact that there are already 10's of thousands of people living on that side of the inlet for who this connection would be faster for many destinations than a car. You can route a few buses to it and stick in a park and ride.
Pretty sure this would turn a profit and generate lots of new riders.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 2:28 AM

So... you want Ioco commuters to travel over Burnaby Mtn, through SFU, on a gondola, to access SkyTrain? I suspect there are better ways to accomplish this...

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zassk View Post
So... you want Ioco commuters to travel over Burnaby Mtn, through SFU, on a gondola, to access SkyTrain? I suspect there are better ways to accomplish this...
A bridge and connection to Gaglardi that would probably cost between 500 and 1000 million to build. If your building a Gondola to SFU then you can just extend it all the way to Ioco as its already aligned the right way. The fact it goes over Burnaby Mountain is a non issue and infact is good in many ways because the route unlike a train line or road is as direct and straight as possible. The trip from Ioco to Skytrain could be made in 15min, even a more conservative estimate would mean the trip can be made in 20min. Its direct and frequent being a tram, you cant make the same trip in 20min by car or bus not to mention it would link to the WCE funneling passenger in to it AND allowing a WCE connection to SFU. This just makes too much sense to me. Not to mention the countless opportunities for partnerships with development firms that can pay for this project after which this project should be able to generate enough ridership to pay for its operating costs. And then theres SFU which also can chip in money.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
The trip from Ioco to Skytrain could be made in 15min, even a more conservative estimate would mean the trip can be made in 20min.
A bus ride from Ioco to the future Ioco SkyTrain station will be less than 12 minutes, so the trip via SFU is actually longer, assuming that the Evergreen Line is built. I would better prefer the line to link Deep Cove, Belcarra, SFU, and Production.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
This just makes too much sense to me.
SFU is currently a destination with no through traffic. The gondola as proposed presumably is only capable of meeting the university's own traffic demands. Now you want to put a commuter route through the campus, which it has never had to deal with. The gondola would no doubt be much more expensive, since it would require enough capacity to meet commuters' as well as the university's needs. How many commuters would this send through SFU, 20,000/day? If less than that, then why build it? I can't see it being cost-effective, and I can't see SFU being pleased with the notion. We're spending $1.4B to build SkyTrain pretty close to Ioco, so why connect those people to SkyTrain via such a long route? If it has to be a gondola, then why not build Ioco its own short gondola directly to the Evergreen Line?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2009, 9:09 AM

I think teleportation is the answer. Why doesn't translink invent that?

</sarcasm>

C'mon folks, who honestly is going to want to ride a gondola across Burrard inlet from Ioco as a form of commuting?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure