HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Monaghan Square I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 5:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Perfect..............The Young St. corridor should become the dumping ground for the Blair Beeds, Bev Millers, Phil Paceys and any other host of non development left wing radicals...oh yes, Howie Epstien.

This should be the new Cogswell St. Interchange dumping ground.....convention centres, stadiums, areans, tallllll office and apartment buildings etc.

Dump it all from Young to the basin.
I love it.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 10:59 PM
we built this city

What's the deal with this proposal?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
What's the deal with this proposal?
Still listed on the developer's website:

WM Apartments

I think they own the lot across form the Bentley (Mt. Royale) - which construction appears to be starting on, so maybe when that one is further along hopefully this will become their primary focus.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 12:43 AM
we built this city

But is it approved?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 2:59 AM

The proposed development agreement is now available. First reading at PCC is on Monday night.

http://www.halifax.ca/Commcoun/pcc/d...13Case1725.pdf

Along with this is the official addresses (6100 Young Street, 1011 Monaghan Street) and the official height of 54 METERS for each tower. This makes these the 13th tallest underway on the Peninsula.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 5:15 AM

There was 14 people that attended the community meeting for this. Sad - I was hoping there would've been more; although it might have been all part of the drop in thing they had going for a while.

That said - the comments were relatively minor. I think we may have found our new area for considerable height and density. It amazes me just how much Schedule Q covers and how much more it should cover.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 5:24 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's hard to see anything around this that would cause problems with nearby residents or business owners. That doesn't mean it will be smooth sailing I guess but I could see this one going through without being appealed, despite the fact that it's a highrise proposal outside of HbD (maybe somebody will try to appeal it as a matter of principle!).

The one big thing I don't like about this one is the site plan. It's a medium-sized site but they have 4 different vehicle entrances/curb cuts and the most prominent corner is taken up by surface parking. Why can't they have one combined public/private garage? They build those all the time here with a second garage door inside.

When taking a long-term view however this doesn't bother me so much, and at the end of the day this is far better than a strip mall. It's okay if a couple developments like this go up for now to get the ball rolling. In a few years HbD-style design controls can be put in place to bring the quality up.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2012, 7:52 AM
Fizzix geek

it looks like a copy of the design for the Keelson etc...not entirely a bad thing I suppose, since I think kings wharfis looking great, assuming that the materials are good.

I agree with the comments on the site plan. Sticking that surface parking lot there just seems lazy.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2012, 2:59 AM

Just heard that leases in the current building that were not being renewed have now been renewed.... 1 i have heard of was for 2 years...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 3:14 AM

Construction is going to start late in the Winter Season.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 8:14 PM
opinionated so and so

I'm glad, though Michael's has become a great venue, will be sad to see it go.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 10:20 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
I agree, I suppose there is no way to include a bar in the current development? The local residents probably wouldn't enjoy it.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 10:47 PM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I agree, I suppose there is no way to include a bar in the current development? The local residents probably wouldn't enjoy it.
Yeah loud rock bars can't go in residential, the supports transmit the bass right through the building.

Could put it across the street, kick out the Dollarama!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 4:05 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
I've never been, although I've heard nothing but good things.. I will get a chance to experience it before it goes as I got tickets to the Hey Ocean! show there in October.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 1:04 PM
Halifax Promoter!

From the CH today.

Halifax tower complex in early stages
15 hours ago
By REMO ZACCAGNA Business Reporter

The conversion of a Young Street strip mall into a mixed-use residential complex featuring two 17-storey towers is likely years away, even with a public hearing into the proposal scheduled in less than two weeks.

W.M. Apartments Ltd., through sister company 215 Pembroke Street East Ltd., is seeking an amendment to the Halifax land-use bylaw and approval of a proposed development agreement to allow for the redevelopment of the one-hectare site at 6100 Young St.

A public hearing into the matter is set for Sept. 10, but it is unknown when work will begin even if regional council approves the project.

“The objective would be to go right away, but what is right away? Is that a year from now, two years from now? It’s difficult to say,” Robert Margeson, vice-president of W.M. Apartments, said in a telephone interview Tuesday.

“I can’t really say a date until we do have the approval, and we have to then study the viability of the project by determining the construction costs, what financing is available, and then determining what will be done with the existing tenant base.”

The company has owned the strip mall, which included a 99-year land lease with Halifax Regional Municipality, from 1994 until last September when 215 Pembroke Street East purchased the property from the city for $2.8 million, public documents indicated.

The property is assessed at slightly more than $5.1 million.

According to the proposal, the company is seeking to replace the existing strip mall with two 13-storey apartment towers that would sit atop a shared, mixed-use four-storey podium.

The towers and podium would include anywhere from 260 to 320 apartments, about 33,000 square feet of commercial and retail space, and 369 parking spots, a majority of which would be underground for residential use.

Municipal staff submitted a report to Peninsula community council Aug. 13 that recommended the project be approved.

“In the opinion of staff, the proposed (land-use bylaw) amendment and development agreement are in keeping with the objectives and policies of the Halifax (municipal planning strategy) to develop the lands in a comprehensive manner and to address compatible issues with the surrounding uses,” the report said.

The site is ideal for this type of development, Margeson said, given that it is at the intersection of Young Street and Monaghan Drive, across from the Atlantic Superstore and on the same block as the Halifax Forum, among other amenities.

“It’s a phenomenal location ... there’s four lanes of traffic, there’s grocery stores, drugstores, liquor stores — all the services are right there. And it’s very closely connected to the 102, to Bayers Lake, to get out of the city, and even the MacKay bridge to Dartmouth and to the airport.”

The proposed development agreement allows some flexibility in terms of having commercial and retail space on the ground floor only or including some on the second floor.

Ideal commercial tenants for the complex would cater toward the residential user, meaning services that include food stores and coffee shops, Margeson said.

The company will help relocate the 14 strip mall tenants “when the time is correct,” he said.

Construction costs have not been nailed down.

Meanwhile, Margeson said the second of two $15-million, 96-unit apartment buildings at the corner of Bently and Washmill Lake drives in the Mount Royale subdivision is on track to be completed by July.

However, while the company also received approval for a 12-storey, 103-unit residential development at 249 Windmill Rd. in Dartmouth, it is unclear when that project will get off the ground.

(rzaccagna@herald.ca)

Old Posted Aug 29, 2012, 10:41 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

It would appear that this project will not be rushed in any way and a 2012 start date looks unrealistic. I didn't realize that it is the same company proposing the 12 storey at 249 Windmill Rd. Michael's is probably safe for a while yet.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 10:05 PM

According to my records the public hearing for these were last night. Anybody feel like emailing one of the PCC councilors for the verdict?

Please note the pubic hearing was only for the MPS/LUB amendments.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 10:50 PM

^Well to answer my own question. The MPS/LUB amendments were APPROVED. These take around 30 days to come into effect so sometime this fall the development agreement could be approved.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 11:19 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
^Well to answer my own question. The MPS/LUB amendments were APPROVED. These take around 30 days to come into effect so sometime this fall the development agreement could be approved.
Huge! We need people in these areas!

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 6:55 PM

Wasn't this originally proposed to be 19 stories though? 17 isn't bad, but I don't get Watt's rationale for lowering the height...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth