HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 8:44 PM
Paradise Island

Minneapolis - the yang of winter's yin

This photothread isn't complete but my camera broke today so I thought I would post what I have.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 9:00 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Nice tour along Minneapolis, Chef! I like your people shots, they´re fantastic, as usual. I see some trees laying on the ground, was there any heavy storm over Minneapolis recently? How is the summer being there this year?

I´m sorry about your camera. I hope you can repair it to take pictures again as soon as possible.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 9:07 PM

Yeah, I was without power for 4 days after that storm! Summer has been pretty cool this year, but nice

Nice pics, as usual!

Old Posted Aug 12, 2013, 9:15 PM
DET->CLT->DC

What a colorful funktastic town. Thanks

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 12:27 AM
Red brick mama.

Double your pleasure in the Twin Cities!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 3:21 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

The Portland of the Midwest! I've really got to get back to the Twin Cities.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 3:30 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Nice collection, sir!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:49 AM
Editor

Great photo tour!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 10:57 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Wonderful set. What area of the city has all those great old houses and apartment buildings (starting about the 14th pic in)? While downtown is impressive, it's nice to see other areas as well. Thanks for the tour Chef.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:44 PM

Great photos! Nice to see Cedar Lake represented, as it often tends to get overlooked. Sorry about your camera! My camera also needs to be replaced--it's a 10-year old Nikon D-70 and I lost about 150 photos from Pittsburgh last week (corrupted files).

Ex-Ithacan: I'm pretty sure many of those photos are from East Isles and Lowry Hill, which is between Lake of the Isles and Loring Park. That was part of my homebound bike commute, going from downtown to SW Mpls. Beautiful part of the city.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 4:57 PM

Gorgeous pictures! I enjoyed the balance of the urban with the natural greeney. Thanks

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 6:16 PM

I see you got the Purcell-Cutts house in there! It is one of the most significant examples of the Prairie School in the US...can be toured one Saturday per month. It was built in 1913.

http://www.artsmia.org/unified-visio...l-cutts-house/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edna_S._Purcell_House

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 12:28 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
Ex-Ithacan: I'm pretty sure many of those photos are from East Isles and Lowry Hill, which is between Lake of the Isles and Loring Park. That was part of my homebound bike commute, going from downtown to SW Mpls. Beautiful part of the city.
Thanks for the info Todd.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 12:46 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

I still can't get a handle on this city. Is it more like Denver, or Portland, or old Detroit, or what? the city looks awesome, especially the residential neighborhoods and retail strips, but seems that there are more than a fair share of empty lots and marginal buildings pretty close to central areas of the city.

anyhow, great pics!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 2:00 PM

In character, more similar to Denver, Portland or even Austin. In urban form, Minneapolis is a lot closer to Denver, Portland, or Seattle than it is any eastern cities, to use rough comparisons. The city never declined to the degree of the "rust belt" cities, not even close. The economy has always been pretty stable and diversified, and we usually have some of the lowest unemployment rates in the US. Actually, I believe at the moment MSP has the lowest unemployment rate of big cities is the US (4.7%). It is a very liberal city with a quite strong "hipster" vibe, huge GLBT community, huge arts community, Lot's of nature lovers, and bike culture is big...maybe that gives you a bit more of a read on the city?

At least that is how I would very roughly respond to DC's question, others may have a different or better take.

Last edited by MNMike; Aug 14, 2013 at 2:20 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 4:28 PM

I agree with MnMike for the most part. Of the three cities cited (Portland, Seattle, Denver), I'd say that Minneapolis has more struggling neighborhoods than Portland or Seattle, but probably similar to Denver. Portland has the strict urban services boundary, while Seattle benefits from natural obstructions to growth (The Sound, Bay, Lake Washington & mountains). The Twin Cities are similar to Denver, with few limitations on expansion (of course the Rockies do have some impact, but not like Seattle's obstructions). There definitely was significant disinvestment in parts of the central city during the '70's - '90s, which is generally being reversed, but in no way equally among neighborhoods.

I've thought of Minneapolis as being a combination of Denver, Portland, Kansas City, Dallas, Toronto and Madison.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 4:31 PM
Paradise Island

Thanks for the comments everybody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Nice tour along Minneapolis, Chef! I like your people shots, they´re fantastic, as usual. I see some trees laying on the ground, was there any heavy storm over Minneapolis recently? How is the summer being there this year?

I´m sorry about your camera. I hope you can repair it to take pictures again as soon as possible.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain!
Other than that big storm we had in June this summer has been great - sunny, mostly mild and not very humid.

It is starting to look like my camera is broken for good, the cost of fixing it is more than it's worth. I am going to try to do it myself but if that doesn't work it will probably be a while before I am taking photographs again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
The Portland of the Midwest! I've really got to get back to the Twin Cities.
When I moved here in the '80s sometimes people would refer to it as the San Francisco of the Midwest, then it was the Seattle of the Midwest. The measuring stick keeps changing but Minneapolis more or less stays the same. I think the winters and its' location in the Midwest prevent it from getting the sort of national cultural embrace that leads to mass influx and eventual wholesale gentrification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Wonderful set. What area of the city has all those great old houses and apartment buildings (starting about the 14th pic in)? While downtown is impressive, it's nice to see other areas as well. Thanks for the tour Chef.
As was said most of those were in East Isles except for the last three in the group which were in Whittier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMike View Post

I see you got the Purcell-Cutts house in there! It is one of the most significant examples of the Prairie School in the US...can be toured one Saturday per month. It was built in 1913.

I've been trying to get a good photo of that house for three years. For some reason the lighting never co-operates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
I still can't get a handle on this city. Is it more like Denver, or Portland, or old Detroit, or what? the city looks awesome, especially the residential neighborhoods and retail strips, but seems that there are more than a fair share of empty lots and marginal buildings pretty close to central areas of the city.

anyhow, great pics!
I think MNMike summed it up pretty well but I would add that Minneapolis doesn't have much abandonment but it is also a fairly inexpensive city so real estate doesn't have the same price pressures for development that you see on the coasts. Gentrification is glacial and large swathes of the city proper are blue collar - perhaps not in the east coast sense but they are mixed areas of immigrants, classic blue collar workers, old hippies and punk rockers, baristas, waitresses, etc. The fact that much of the city is blue collar gives it a slightly gritty edge despite the fact that it isn't dangerous and is the core of a prosperous metro. In general Minneapolis neighborhoods tend to be pretty stable and are mostly like they were 20 years ago except safer and more diverse.

Last edited by Chef; Aug 15, 2013 at 5:26 AM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2013, 7:42 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNMike View Post

http://www.artsmia.org/unified-visio...l-cutts-house/

I want this house!

My Book

Old Posted Aug 17, 2013, 11:58 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MplsTodd View Post
I agree with MnMike for the most part. Of the three cities cited (Portland, Seattle, Denver), I'd say that Minneapolis has more struggling neighborhoods than Portland or Seattle, but probably similar to Denver. Portland has the strict urban services boundary, while Seattle benefits from natural obstructions to growth (The Sound, Bay, Lake Washington & mountains). The Twin Cities are similar to Denver, with few limitations on expansion (of course the Rockies do have some impact, but not like Seattle's obstructions). There definitely was significant disinvestment in parts of the central city during the '70's - '90s, which is generally being reversed, but in no way equally among neighborhoods.

I've thought of Minneapolis as being a combination of Denver, Portland, Kansas City, Dallas, Toronto and Madison.
Minneapolis definitely struck me as sharing some DNA with the PacNW, mixed with some Kansas City and Milwaukee.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2013, 2:19 AM

amazing thread. Looks like such a clean and nice city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos