HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 3:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
And, since then, another one in Maryland. Those activist judges are everywhere! The irony, I gather, is that both judges took into account (rightly or wrongly, I couldn't say) Trump's anti-Muslim/Muslim ban campaign rhetoric in considering the challenges to the revised executive order. Politically, I don't know whether Trump really cares - his base sees him trying to do something he promised to do and being stymied by Courts, so this isn't putting the base off their man.
All I can is that this is what Trump is really scared of

We take it for granted that with the exception of really "SMART" millennials in san fransico/starbucks nobody is aware automation is coming.

The reality is its entirely possible that trump may have advisers who are just as worried about it as names like bill gates/elon musk/insert vally billionaire here.

If we can imagine as consenting educated adults that a billionaire may be taking advice from a person that is smarter than your average star bucks customer it might be possible that this might be part of their grand strategy.

Trump isn't a rebirth of fascism he's a rebirth of the anti globalisation/populist movements that arose during the late 1800s. When protectionism was an absolute norm.

The reality is a very real solution to runaway automation is to shut down borders/trade and restrict the labour supply.

I'm not saying that this is what trump is doing, but it seems like virtually every piece of rhetoric/actions etc falls directly in line with what one would do to adress runaway automation.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 3:48 AM

This isn't the first "automation crisis" our society has dealt with. Europe had a large decrease in work required for menial tasks during the Industrial Revolution. The surplus people were dealt with by shipping them over the Atlantic... in huge numbers. During Queen Victoria's reign, Britain's population rose from 30 million to 40 million, and during that same period they lost an estimated 15 million people to colonial emigration.

So.. what we do now? Send unemployed blue collar men to colonize outer space?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 3:55 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
This isn't the first "automation crisis" our society has dealt with. Europe had a large decrease in work required for menial tasks during the Industrial Revolution. The surplus people were dealt with by shipping them over the Atlantic... in huge numbers. During Queen Victoria's reign, Britain's population rose from 30 million to 40 million, and during that same period they lost an estimated 15 million people to colonial emigration.
This time is different.

The equilibrium will not be reached for a generation.

Quote:

So.. what we do now? Send unemployed blue collar men to colonize outer space?
Yes actually.

I'll bet 1000 real dollars, that ten seconds after reusable heavy launch vehicles become viable your gonna see the space industry currently at about 20-40 billion dollars approach a half trillion.

EDIT: Not that we literally be sending blue collar folk. However once launch costs come down nasa can really ease it's quality control concerns. Things can become far heavier, less efficient, and less reliable.

When this happens it's possible that the aerospace manufacturing can become as common and as wide spread as arms manufacturing now is.

Last edited by Stryker; Mar 20, 2017 at 10:41 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 8:43 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Politically, I don't know whether Trump really cares - his base sees him trying to do something he promised to do and being stymied by Courts, so this isn't putting the base off their man.
Given that they're mostly immune to logic and reason, I think the only thing his alt-right base would find intolerable would be any posture indicating a lack of fealty to Steve Bannon.

Or perhaps an uncharacteristic moment where he doesn't act like a total douche would throw them for a loop and suspect that something isn't right. Though that doesn't seem likely to occur any time soon.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 3:57 AM

Americans are increasingly blocked at Canada border - report

The number of American citizens turned away at the Canadian border has reportedly jumped significantly in recent years.

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) figures obtained by Montreal newspaper La Presse suggest 31% more US citizens were turned away last year than 2015.
In 2016, 30,233 Americans were sent back at the boundary compared to 23,052 the year before.

The report comes amid concerns in Canada about travel to the US.
La Presse also reports that in 2014, just 7,509 US citizens were refused entry to Canada.

An immigration lawyer told the paper that the spike in people turned away was probably in part because of the increased sharing of data and information, including criminal records, between Canada and the US.

The CBSA said in a statement that the numbers fluctuate from year-to-year and they "will not speculate as to reasons for the increase".

Are more Canadians being turned away at the border?
Canada nurses get US work permit clarity

Despite concerns in Canada about whether it is becoming more difficult to cross into the US, figures provided by US Customs and Border Protection indicate the number of people being denied entry at that boundary is in line with previous years.

In fiscal year 2014, 28,875 people were turned away at the Canada-US frontier.
In 2015 it was 27,311. In 2016, it was 28,584.

A lot of border anxiety in Canada is thought to be linked to the Trump administration's proposed travel ban, which has been suspended indefinitely pending court challenges.
Organisations such as the Girl Guides of Canada have put trips to the United States on hold until further notice because they fear problems at the border.

Canada's largest school board also recently cancelled new school trips to the US.
The Toronto District School Board announced the decision this month citing "uncertainty" with regards to who may be affected by US President Donald's Trump's latest travel restrictions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-c...ource=facebook

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 11:24 AM
Still optimistic

I think that it would be very relevant to see the relative figures. After all, the low loonie has meant that there are far fewer Canadians heading south and an increasing number of Americans heading north.

So if there's a 2% decline in Canadians being stopped at the border, but a 20% decline in Canadians trying to cross, that means that the proportion of people being stopped has gone up. And vice versa for Americans.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylmer View Post
I think that it would be very relevant to see the relative figures. After all, the low loonie has meant that there are far fewer Canadians heading south and an increasing number of Americans heading north.

So if there's a 2% decline in Canadians being stopped at the border, but a 20% decline in Canadians trying to cross, that means that the proportion of people being stopped has gone up. And vice versa for Americans.
I believe I saw another report on the same issue that indicated that the percentage of Canadians stopped at the border actually dropped from 0.06% to 0.05%.

I assume the growing number of Americans being stopped reflects better cross-border info sharing re criminal records? Or are people still pitching up at the border without passports?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 2:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Americans are increasingly blocked at Canada border - report

The number of American citizens turned away at the Canadian border has reportedly jumped significantly in recent years.

Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) figures obtained by Montreal newspaper La Presse suggest 31% more US citizens were turned away last year than 2015.
In 2016, 30,233 Americans were sent back at the boundary compared to 23,052 the year before.

The report comes amid concerns in Canada about travel to the US.
La Presse also reports that in 2014, just 7,509 US citizens were refused entry to Canada.

An immigration lawyer told the paper that the spike in people turned away was probably in part because of the increased sharing of data and information, including criminal records, between Canada and the US.

The CBSA said in a statement that the numbers fluctuate from year-to-year and they "will not speculate as to reasons for the increase".

Are more Canadians being turned away at the border?
Canada nurses get US work permit clarity

Despite concerns in Canada about whether it is becoming more difficult to cross into the US, figures provided by US Customs and Border Protection indicate the number of people being denied entry at that boundary is in line with previous years.

In 2015 it was 27,311. In 2016, it was 28,584.

A lot of border anxiety in Canada is thought to be linked to the Trump administration's proposed travel ban, which has been suspended indefinitely pending court challenges.
Organisations such as the Girl Guides of Canada have put trips to the United States on hold until further notice because they fear problems at the border.

Canada's largest school board also recently cancelled new school trips to the US.
The Toronto District School Board announced the decision this month citing "uncertainty" with regards to who may be affected by US President Donald's Trump's latest travel restrictions.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-c...ource=facebook
For what its worth. here is a cbc story on some of the same subject matter.....Its somewhat surprising (though not really) that the opposite seems to be true for Canadians heading into the states. Which seems to be in contrast to media and anecdotal reports, on the subject matter.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada...avel-1.4041804

Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infrequent Poster View Post
For what its worth. here is a cbc story on some of the same subject matter.....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canada...avel-1.4041804
That's where I saw the stats on the perishingly low refusal rate. I think it would surprise people, given recent media coverage.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 5:28 PM

Quote:
That's where I saw the stats on the perishingly low refusal rate. I think it would surprise people, given recent media coverage.
Here's another one. Entry to the USA is stable, entry to Canada saw a sharp increase in the Americans refused.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...d-away-canada/

Looks like we are strengthening our borders as a result of more information sharing (not giving any particular politician credit here).

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Here's another one. Entry to the USA is stable, entry to Canada saw a sharp increase in the Americans refused.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...d-away-canada/

Looks like we are strengthening our borders as a result of more information sharing (not giving any particular politician credit here).
As that article suggests, it likely reflects better info about criminal records (including DUIs). Folks who would have been ineligible to cross in the past, but did so because the data was not available the way it is now.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 1:52 AM

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
All my "alt right" friends have abandoned Trump.

It's actually sort of funny.

Turns out the "nazis" wannabe's really aren't a fan of war.

Who would of thought that a massive driving force behind the altright was a desire to stay the hell out of the middle east.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:56 AM
sick transit, gloria

Predicted this months ago. Loving the alt-right tears.

Of course they just spent a bunch of money bombing absolutely nothing. If you are going to do it at least make a difference.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 4:57 PM

Dissenting rioting protesters calling Trump a fascist.

Trump supporters being physically attacked for their political opinions.

Riots and violence occurring at Trump supporter commentator speeches on University campuses, a so-called bastion of free speech and free exchange of ideas.

Dissenting Trump supporters being ridiculed for their anti-war opinions.

I can only recommend people read 1984. And no, it isn't meant to be "in protest" of Trump.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

In 2016, it was 28,584.
Without even having to pull up the exchange rate graph, I know from memory that I bought a property at ~0.95 exchange rate in 2014, and I know that my personal favorite deal of all was bought at 0.683 in early 2016 (the timing was horrible for the exchange rate, but all things considered I'd re-do it in a heartbeat).

So, I'm going to agree with Aylmer here, with similar volumes it's guaranteed the turning away rate was much higher in 2016. (Still during Obama's presidency, BTW.)

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 6:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
Dissenting rioting protesters calling Trump a fascist.

Trump supporters being physically attacked for their political opinions.

Riots and violence occurring at Trump supporter commentator speeches on University campuses, a so-called bastion of free speech and free exchange of ideas.

Dissenting Trump supporters being ridiculed for their anti-war opinions.

I can only recommend people read 1984. And no, it isn't meant to be "in protest" of Trump.
This is fucking mental, this was exactly the shit we all knew hilary clinto would do.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 11:51 PM

Between this and the Trump administration's support for Montenegro's admission to NATO, I think we the whole "Trump is a Russian puppet" accusation is just starting to look ridiculous.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 1:15 AM
Heart of the Continent

I don't think he's a puppet. I do think he took advantage of having a common enemy during the election. Is that less bad? I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I don't think he's a puppet. I do think he took advantage of having a common enemy during the election. Is that less bad? I'm not so sure.
There is a good chance the Russians acted independently. They looked at the two possible outcomes and decided Trump was the better of the two so focused on helping him.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada