HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 8, 2015, 8:48 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Ack! My eyes, my eyes!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 6:16 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Ack! My eyes, my eyes!
yeah, I didn't think people wanted a reminder! really hoping this one doesn't look too much like the rendering when done. why does everything have orange highlights these days?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 10:09 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
yeah, I didn't think people wanted a reminder! really hoping this one doesn't look too much like the rendering when done. why does everything have orange highlights these days?
With what appears to be lavender and gray, no less!

The Icon (it's anything but that) at Market and Noe has awful orange panels on its boxy design. It's by far my least favorite of the new Upper Market residential buildings, already looking dated to me.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 3:44 PM

I believe I saw on Twitter last night that the BOS rejected the just negotiated sale of 30 Van Ness (for $80m) because it didn't have enough affordable housing. Vote was 7-4 (Peskin, Kim, Breed voted to reject IIRC). This is the Walgreen's building on the corner of Market and Van Ness that the city owns, and is selling to help pay for the new government offices on the old Goodwill Site on Mission between 11th and S. Van Ness.

I can only assume this means the city will get even less for the site (and I think that $80m was less than they were originally projecting) and have to borrow more money to pay for the new offices on Mission.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 4:44 PM

1 Franklin St. (Page/Frankllin/Market)

a very long weekend, AndrewK - thanks for the link/picture as a reminder showing the proposed look. As usual there are differences from what is proposed & what is built. I note in particular the some windows on the east side are much smaller, like bathroom sized, than what was proposed. What you see is not what you will get almost all of the time.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 5:26 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
The Icon (it's anything but that) at Market and Noe has awful orange panels on its boxy design. It's by far my least favorite of the new Upper Market residential buildings, already looking dated to me.
I completely agree with you, Icon is a horribly cheap looking building in a very nice part of town. Literally every other new project nearby looks much better (my favorite of the new crop, architecturally, is the flatiron at Market/15th/Sanchez with the Mexican restaurant at the base).

We can only hope there will be a huge discrepancy between the rendering (remember kids, "render" is only a verb) and the final product at Franklin/Page/Market. It really can't get much worse.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 10:48 PM

Regarding Page and Franklin: If it were me, for starters I would change the dark and light gray (light lavender?) to one shade of light gray. Then I would change the orange (terracotta?) and brown to one shade of brown or terracotta. I might also rework the massing of the facade protrusions. Somehow the composition of the forms as shown don't quit work well within the limits of the building envelope. Either that, or I would go extreme and replace the ugly plaid pattern of the facades with something else all together .

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
(remember kids, "render" is only a verb)
Thank you, gerund police!

Old Posted Dec 10, 2015, 7:18 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
Thank you, gerund police!
Think of it as a public service announcement for those forumers who want to converse with architects intelligently.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2015, 8:20 PM

^^^My gosh, you probably don't know how funny this is too me! Anyway, it is understood that this is a public forum.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 9:42 AM

No sale yet of 30 Van Ness - maybe not so funny.

Source: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...e-for-80m.html
Quote:
Supervisors Reject Sale of Mid-Market Tower Site

While the sale of the City’s five-story building at 30 Van Ness Avenue, a building which sits upon a parcel which is zoned for development up to 400 feet in height, was authorized for sale by San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors with a price of “no less than $87 million,” the City returned to the Board with a deal for $80 million, as we first reported last month.

And with Supervisors Avalos, Breed, Campos, Kim, Mar, Yee and Peskin having voted against the Mayor’s resolution to ratify the sale of 30 Van Ness to Related California yesterday, the $80 million deal, which was structured with a leaseback to the City until late 2018, was formally rejected.

The outstanding debt on the building is now around $28,900,000. And after paying $400,000 in broker commissions and $40,000 in marketing costs, the City would have received roughly $50,600,000 in net proceeds from the sale, not including Related’s agreement to pay the City’s $2 million transfer tax, to help finance the City’s proposed development of a new 17-story building at 1500 Mission Street, on the eastern half of the Goodwill site at the intersection of Mission and South Van Ness Avenue. The proceeds would have also been used to pay Related $14.9 million in rent and operating costs for 30 Van Ness through 2018.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 6:31 PM
Build Baby Build

The board said $87m, and the city came back $7m short. The board has every right to reject that. 30 Van Ness is in the top five potential sites in the city for new construction, there should be no problem getting what the board asks.

I am also happy that Crescent Heights gave up on Parcel F. That has been a debacle ever since they announced and canceled the auction.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 7:55 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
The board said $87m, and the city came back $7m short. The board has every right to reject that. 30 Van Ness is in the top five potential sites in the city for new construction, there should be no problem getting what the board asks.

I am also happy that Crescent Heights gave up on Parcel F. That has been a debacle ever since they announced and canceled the auction.
I agree with you on both counts, even though we may be nearing the end of this long running building cycle.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post

Though that $87m was decided upon before they knew that the building needs $60m in seismic retrofits, which the buyer would have to make before leasing the building back to the city.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 7:56 PM
dazzle me

yeah, there's never going to be a seismic retrofit there. the socketsite autist fringe aside, i think it's obvious that related was simply trying to hustle the city and it's a good thing that this will be thrown back up for a competitive bid. people (sfgate commenters, socketsite commenters, etc) want to blame the forces of nimbyism and obstruction (i.e. peskin) but when london breed votes against it, you know there's something genuinely wrong with it. people who are just unfamiliar with how thoroughly unmenschlich ed lee and his people are (and to be fair, newsom was worse and willie brown could easily have ended up in federal prison if the FBI had bothered) don't put together how strange it was that the city decided to negotiate with just related. i know you folks want to get the deal done, but your job is not to take the easiest path if it costs the city millions, and the board was 100% right not to let you slide on this one.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 10:27 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Totally correct!

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 11:11 PM

150 Van Ness Avenue - Automobile Association Lobby

12/13/2015 - Today we can now see what was the lobby. I had been in it several times. It was one of the most beautiful lobbies in the city.

Now that the building is reachable by a "chewing machine" the take-down is moving much faster. Later next year we should start to see the 13 story apartment building rising up from Van Ness to Polk along Hayes.

Automobile Association Building

Old Posted Dec 14, 2015, 8:48 PM

Funeral Procession - Trinity Plaza III

Yes, I know this is an odd post, but this guy owned a huge chunk of San Francisco's rental market. Angelo Sangiacomo died at 91 years of age. The workers paid their respects as the funeral procession drove through the job site.
[Photographs taken from my apartment, telephoto lens]

Trinity Place III - Funeral Procession

Trinity Place III - Funeral Procession

Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 6:33 PM

Glass is going up at 500 Pine:

Old Posted Dec 18, 2015, 4:18 AM

Came across this for the 350 Mission lobby screen:

http://www.notcot.org/post/60668/Vir...c-art-project/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations