HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > China

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:33 PM
How r u doing?| Ni hao!

Beijing 2008---Stadiums

Bird Nest (taken from the bridge) in April, 2007

Take a close look at Bird Nest at Construction spot

View of Bird Nest from another angle

.....Well be continuted, thank for my friend, Beijing Little bird's assistance.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 11:38 PM
low life in a tall place

It looks totally spectacular.

Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:04 AM

as a modern design enthusiast i can only say Bravo...very nice

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 12:33 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Oh, man. Just saw the Allianz arena and thought that was the coolest stadium in the world, but.....must.....make......it.....to.....Beijing....

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 3:52 PM
be nice to the crackheads

I just got back from Beijing and saw this structure first hand. It is a thing a beauty. My mom, dad and girlfriend all thought the same.
Beijing has some amazing projects going up right now. Some of the world's best for sure.

Old Posted May 1, 2007, 6:46 PM

That is probably the best building/stadium that I have ever seen.

I looks like a giant person, took the steel beams and simply bent them into shape, like playdoh!

Man oh Man... they are shaping up to be probably the best "looking" game venues ever.

Poor us here in Vancouver that have top follow up to that one and we are opening and closing in BC Place!

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 7:39 PM

Interesting though... they are going to hold the Olympics with that much pollution in the air?

Look at how much particulate is in the air... it is practically black at the horizon.

Dan

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Plan Dan View Post
Interesting though... they are going to hold the Olympics with that much pollution in the air?

Look at how much particulate is in the air... it is practically black at the horizon.

Dan
the 1st pic is blue sky, note that the 2nd and the 3rd picture were taken in a rainy weather (look at how wet the ground is)

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 8:47 AM

Yeah, but that doesn't hide that fact that Beijing has the worst air pollution I've ever seen. It makes Kaohsiung aka Black Lung look positively inviting by comparison.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 9:57 AM
╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬â

It looks like Pasta!!!

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 9:47 PM
How r u doing?| Ni hao!

aiya! Beijing is polluted most of time, but not always. If Beijing doesn't hold the Olympic Games, besides the Tiananmen Square, how do you people from all over the world know how polluted the city is ? The Games may force Beijing government to clean up the air, so, I can be one of beneficiaries from the Games. .. In the end, back to the topic, I support Beijing 2008 Games.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 10:08 PM
How r u doing?| Ni hao!

huh~. I bring eyesore to you ----Beijing SOHO in a foggy day.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 3:36 AM
How r u doing?| Ni hao!

Water cube (close to Birdnest about 50 meters)

Bird Nest again

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 3:49 AM

Amazing! That last shot looking up out of the nest is just awesome.
I love the SOHO area BTW. Great new neighborhood.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 3:54 PM
How r u doing?| Ni hao!

ooops, I'd better to quote the introduction of Bird Nest and Water Cube from china.org.cn.

National Swimming Center--exquisite and exciting "Water Cube"

A semi-transparent "cube", with "bubbles" spread out all over its surface, is a shape very similar to the structure of "H2O", the outlook for the National Swimming Center at the 2008 Olympic Games. After the games, it will become a recreational water park open to the public.

In Chinese culture, water is an important natural element. It creates a calming atmosphere and inspires happiness. Taking full consideration of the functions of water in recreation and bodybuilding, designers have explored many ways for people of different age groups to appreciate its function. The design is called "Water Cube". Many creative designs have been employed in the creation of the swimming pools at the swimming center. Other high-tech facilities including optical devices used to define positions of athletes, and multiple-angle, three-dimensional screening systems are provided to help spectators enjoy competitions.

The National Swimming Center, one of the three landmark buildings for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, is located inside the Beijing Olympic Park. Covering a total floor space of 50,000 square meters, it has 17,000 seats. The project costs about US$100 million. The center will be a venue for swimming, diving, synchronized swimming and water-polo games during the period of the Olympic Games. After the games, the center will become a large water recreational center open to the public.

In January 2003, Beijing started to solicit design schemes for the National Swimming Center. The international competition settled on "Water Cube" as the winning scheme. It is designed by the design consortium consisting of the China State Construction Engineering Corporation, China State Construction International (Shenzhen) Design Co Ltd, PTW Architects (Australia) and Ove Arup (Australia).

The National Swimming Center will be the only landmark Olympic venue that is constructed by donations from compatriots from Hong Kong and Macao. The construction of "Water Cube" began in 2003 and hopes to be completed before 2006.

National Stadium--natural "Bird's Nest"

"Bird's Nest" is jointly designed by Herzog and De Meuron Architekten AG, Switzerland, and China Architecture Design Institute. It gained high praise and also aroused most controversy.

Some people think the design is too avant-garde and trendy, and not in keeping with acceptable traditional ideas. However, insiders think "Bird's Nest" has properly expressed a new architectural vernacular. Such schemes can not work out without an understanding of Chinese philosophy and the Chinese idea of good timing, geographical convenience and harmonious human relations.

According to designer De Meauron, first, it is a contemporary Chinese building; second, it has close links with Chinese culture; third, it is reliable in its use of techniques. The architecture of the 20th century emphasized technology. In the new century it will reflect the contemporary culture of the Olympic Games. The stadium is designed for its people; the "gentle" environment shows respect to its athletes.

The stadium is a bowl shape with a red stand. It looks like a nest structure. It is made of gray mining steel covered with a transparent membrane. "Bird's Nest" is an original creation, with a fresh and unique appeal, an exciting example of global architecture.

As the main stadium for the 2008 Olympic Games, the National Stadium is located in the Olympic Park, northeast of the city axis line, covering an area of 204,100 square meters and forming a construction area of 258,000 square meters. During the 2008 Olympics, the National Stadium is designated to host the opening and closing ceremony, the track and field competition and the soccer games, etc.

The National Stadium accommodates 100,000 spectators of which 20,000 are with temporary seating. After the 2008 Olympics, the National Stadium will be converted to an 80,000-seater stadium suitable for large-scale sport competitions and other non-competitive events. The National Stadium will become a large-scale venue for sports, recreation and entertainment for the people of Beijing.

(China.org.cn by Wang Qian and Daragh Moller, January 16, 2004)

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 12:47 AM

still......it needs a big bird to occupy it........

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 1:07 AM
...such a rush...

I was just in Beijing for two weeks. The Olympics are going to be a mess...the amount of smog there is absolutely ridiculous. I was excited to get of the city just so I could breath half-decent air. They are just going to be torn apart by every athlete. It's a joke.

Oh...and getting food poisioning and landing in a shady Chinese hospital didn't help the cause.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 7:09 PM

Beijing Olympics Stadium

Impressive!

It looks exactly like on the 3D plans (Beijing Olympics Stadium)

Old Posted Aug 12, 2007, 9:45 PM
fried white rice

That stadium is just something incredible. A triumph of the architecture for sporting venues...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 12:06 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

The bubble is awesome!! i just hope they clean it cause it looks kinda dirty or maybe its me.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Asia-Pacific > China