HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 3:46 AM

French Quarter

Looks like a $30 million infusion of cash for streets/sidewalks in the French Quarter in anticipation of the Super Bowl. I hope there's enough time between now and February 2013 to make a difference.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...ntributes.html

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 4:07 AM
TL;DR

It's not just streets and sidewalks, but also "fixing dissatisfiers".

I know in Detroit, the city raised money to paint peeling buildings, get rid of weeds, put art or images in vacant storefronts, hang banners, and basically get the city's downtown in tip-top shape by masking any blight. Our downtown fortunately has less blight than Detroit's, but that doesn't mean it couldn't use a lot of work.

I'm starting to get excited for the Tricentennial. With all the positive change that's occurring right now and is about to occur, that's gonna be a good time to be in New Orleans.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:59 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's not just streets and sidewalks, but also "fixing dissatisfiers".

I know in Detroit, the city raised money to paint peeling buildings, get rid of weeds, put art or images in vacant storefronts, hang banners, and basically get the city's downtown in tip-top shape by masking any blight. Our downtown fortunately has less blight than Detroit's, but that doesn't mean it couldn't use a lot of work.

I'm starting to get excited for the Tricentennial. With all the positive change that's occurring right now and is about to occur, that's gonna be a good time to be in New Orleans.
I agree the Superbowl is to show New Orleans has fully recovered from Katrina but the Tricentennial will show that we are a totally new city!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 1:47 PM

3300 Magazine etc

3300 Magazine is the Probst interior design store. They seem incredibly expensive so i always wondered how they stayed open, but i figured uptown had plenty of people willing to shell out absurd amounts of money. Either way, a restaurant will be a more exciting use for the location, but I hope the store stays open somewhere.

Also, soon to be announced (maybe today) the City is going to repave the following streets in the quarter as well as replace damaged sections of sidewalks prior to the superbowl (separate and apart from this Convention Center deal):

burgundy, canal to esplanade

dauphine, canal to esplanade

royal, canal to esplanade

esplanade, decatur to n rampart both directions

st louis, decatur to n rampart

toulouse, decatur to n rampart

n. peters, canal to st louis

decatur, st louis to dumaine

I"m excited, but god knows the residents are going to bitch....

I'm also thrilled about the proposed loudspeaker ordinance on Bourbon (there's a meeting with KGP today about it). I dont' mind Bourbon being loud if it's filled with live music, jazz, rock, what have you,but it's such a TRASHY trashy thing to have every restaurant and t-shirt stop, closet beer stand blaring loudspeakers with garbage music. I've hated it my whole life We win! (almost)

Last edited by IceCream; Mar 29, 2012 at 1:50 PM. Reason: noise

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 3:49 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
3300 Magazine is the Probst interior design store. They seem incredibly expensive so i always wondered how they stayed open, but i figured uptown had plenty of people willing to shell out absurd amounts of money. Either way, a restaurant will be a more exciting use for the location, but I hope the store stays open somewhere.

Also, soon to be announced (maybe today) the City is going to repave the following streets in the quarter as well as replace damaged sections of sidewalks prior to the superbowl (separate and apart from this Convention Center deal):

I'm also thrilled about the proposed loudspeaker ordinance on Bourbon (there's a meeting with KGP today about it). I dont' mind Bourbon being loud if it's filled with live music, jazz, rock, what have you,but it's such a TRASHY trashy thing to have every restaurant and t-shirt stop, closet beer stand blaring loudspeakers with garbage music. I've hated it my whole life We win! (almost)
I just hope they make an exception for Mardi Gras time.

BTW are these streets going to be repaved following the citys new Streets policy? Id like to see more bikelanes where possible in the quarter. At least Decatur and Esplanade.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 4:29 PM

Complete

Complete streets in the quarter....I'm not sure...One would hope, but it's the quarter.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 4:46 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Complete streets in the quarter....I'm not sure...One would hope, but it's the quarter.
That's a good one. Next thing you'll be asking for bike parking.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:09 PM

bikes

Quote:
That's a good one. Next thing you'll be asking for bike parking.

Just you wait...I have so much I could say, but I'll keep shut for now. Amazingly the VCC DID approve the racks that were installed at the french market.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:29 PM

First, it seems the Saenger renovations are coming along nicely. It's expected to open Spring, 2013. I hope the 3 new marquees are finished in time for the Superbowl. That would look great for the visitors.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/local/orle...144870515.html

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Second, I'm glad this idea to develop the vacant parts of the Industrial Canal is taking off. With the Corps' new floodgates, New Orleans has a unique thing to offer - largescale waterfront development in the South, protected from hurricanes. I hope we capitalize on it both commercially and industrially. The Intracoastal Waterway in Miami is its most expensive real estate. I hope we can reproduce some of that.

Can someone with a membership summarize the various entities' positions in this article, please?

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...ustrial-canal/

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:42 PM

Quote:

I don't know what these streets are paved with now but how will it look? New brick?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 5:46 PM

Paving

Brick!?!?!? Ha, you are far too optimistic.

They're currently blacktop and will remain blacktop. As for the sidewalks I think they are doing like replacement (concrete with concrete, slate with slate).

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:38 PM

Quote:

They're currently blacktop and will remain blacktop. As for the sidewalks I think they are doing like replacement (concrete with concrete, slate with slate).
If only we had the technology to pattern concrete like this... wait we do...

Last edited by Blitzen; Mar 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 6:58 PM

Quote:

Nothing wrong with optimism eh?

Why not have the main drags brick? Bourbon, Royal, Decatur and the others blacktop? Oh wait thats probably too smart for Louisiana, we'll have to wait for that.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 7:46 PM
-

Permits:
2130 MAGAZINE ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130
INTERIOR RENOVATIONS CONVERTING A VACANT YOGA STUDIO INTO A RESTAURANT AS PER PLANS. SIGNAGE REQUIRES A SEPERATE PERMIT.

640 JULIA ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130
INTERIOR RENOVATION - COMBINE UNITS 640 AND 642 INTO 640 JULIA ST, CONVERT FROM VACANT RESTURANT TO AN OFFICE PER PLANS (ZEPHYR GREEN COFFEE IMPORTERS). NO EXTERIOR WORK UNDER THIS PERMIT.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 8:16 PM

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 9:23 PM

Not to get political, but if the embargo ended tomorrow I'd be one of those willing to hop on a flight to Cuba. It's a spectacularly beautiful country with fantastic beaches. I would think the demad would be there for some type of service to Havana if the embargo were lifted. Maybe not a daily flight, but at least a few times a week.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 12:54 AM
-

I agree. I hope the be able to go to Cuba this summer. New Orleans will stand to gain alot of jobs when trade relations are normalized. BTW if you ever go to Canada and talk to people its interesting how many of them seek healthcare in Cuba, especially cosmetic and dental.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 2:00 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
If only we had the technology to pattern concrete like this... wait we do...

There are still a few streets paved like this with the large cobbles, or at least one (Triangle St in the Warehouse District next to the Sugar Mill).

I don't think cobblestone paving is a good solution for anything but a small handful of New Orleans streets, because it's terrible for both cars and bikes. Trucks? Forget about it. You could do brick pavers, but they look insanely tacky because they're so smooth and uniform.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 2:05 AM
TL;DR

The Industrial Canal thing is... interesting. The main problem I see is that the locks aren't designed to be opened frequently for small recreational craft... only a handful of times per day for large ships and barges. At least, this is true for St. Claude. The new Seabrook gate might be faster when it opens.

If industrial land gets redeveloped into waterfront development with docks and marinas, those private boats and yachts will need to exit into the lake fairly often throughout the day.

I'm really pulling for the St. Claude lock replacement (which includes a new bridge). The current lock and bridge are embarrassingly shabby and decrepit, and the bridge is functionally unable to deal with the huge volumes of traffic headed to the homes and industries of St. Bernard and East Plaquemines. I love the design of the bridge as urban sculpture, but it's very poorly adapted to 21st-century New Orleans.

Hopefully with more residential development we can get a few more connections across the canal. I'd love to see a bike/ped bridge at Galvez into the Lower 9th, a bridge/road connecting Filmore to Dwyer, and the long-promised Florida Avenue bridge.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 4:27 AM

Quote:
The Industrial Canal thing is... interesting. The main problem I see is that the locks aren't designed to be opened frequently for small recreational craft... only a handful of times per day for large ships and barges. At least, this is true for St. Claude. The new Seabrook gate might be faster when it opens.

If industrial land gets redeveloped into waterfront development with docks and marinas, those private boats and yachts will need to exit into the lake fairly often throughout the day.
The Seabrook locks will stay open 365 days a year and only close before a hurricane approaches - so there is no worry about boats not having access to the Lake once complete.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations