HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 9:05 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
This is good news! I am a fan of transit system, and subway/LRT in particular. The public transport of Edmonton still needs improvement. The bus is late. The LRT needs to be expanded.

But I was told that people of Alberta like to drive and that is why they do not pay attention to improving the public transport.

Well, why not extend the LRT also the West, to the Mall, and to the South Common up to the Airport?

-every city's LRT/BUS system needs to be expanded, improved.

- Albertans like their cars, but also, Edmonton is very spread out and has multiple nodes of employment so it is difficult to have an efficient system.

- West LRT is in study/planning

- South LRT is going as we speak all the way to 23ave and will go south towards the airport after that.

-South Common doesnt need LRT, that is a car orientated shopping centre.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 2:50 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo909 View Post
I was trying to be realistic about this study. It's a required step, but this city has always done so many studies without any concrete step at following up with them. It's a step in the right direction, I guess.
Well, if you think 'studies' is an Edmonton-only thing, think again. You could waltz into the public library in any major city and load up on thousands of studies for 'proposed projects'.

It is a step in the right direction. It shows that the City is committed to continuing their expansion of the LRT before the sLRT opens up. A good step...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 6:25 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

This is good news. I believe all Edmonton LRT stations now have the capacity for 5 car trains, which is great.

I don't know about anyone else, but what I would like to see from now on is continual LRT expansion with no breaks in the schedule. We are already far enough behind as it is.

So here is my wishlist timeline at the very latest...
SLRT to Heritage 2009/2010
NLRT to NAIT 2012
SLRT branch to Mill Woods 2012
NLRT to Northgate 2014
WLRT to WEM 2015

Additionally extensions along the CN ROW to the VIA station by the Muni should happen as well as another WLRT to Jasper Place within the next 10 years. These should be done with redevelopment schemes so that there would be an automatic base market built into each extension..

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 6:34 PM
Change is good

Hey, hey, I want LRT developments as fast as the next guy, but I think your schedule may be a little quicker then what will happen.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
This is good news. I believe all Edmonton LRT stations now have the capacity for 5 car trains, which is great.

I thought Health Sciences was only built to 4 car length right now...but I could be wrong!?! (For some reason, I just recall thinking, at the time, how STUPID it was to only build it to 4 car length. Hopefully I am just out to lunch!)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 6:35 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I would place the timeline in 25 years.

Maybe if the cost of materials go down and the cost of labour go down, we might be able to cut off a few years from that, but right now some patience is needed.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 6:39 PM
Community Guy

^i completely disagree...we need LRT in the next 10 to all parts.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 6:43 PM

What I don't get is how long its taking to build LRT extensions compared to the past, at least in other cities. Just think of how small the Calgary system would be right now, if it they hadn't pursued aggressive expansion back in the 80's...

Combine our explosive population growth, clogged streets, the Kyoto accord and the need for affordable housing to me at least makes the need for massive expansion to happen right now. As for escalating inflation, there must be a way around it some how in terms of locking in costs/contrasts or potentially opening up Alberta to more guest workers if labour costs are the problem...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 6:46 PM

Thank you Coldrsx for that, exactly. We are so far behind and the ETS if you take it is literally bursting at the seams during peak hours, so we need the capacity of LRT not only to get people out of their cars, but also to get those already on transit safely and efficiently across the city.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 7:24 PM

nope, you're right. Calgary is only now going to 4 car platforms. They currently operate with only 3 car train sets, and they carry 5 times the numbers we do. 4 car platforms combined with increased frequency can more than adequately serve demand for the forseeable future.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 7:52 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^i completely disagree...we need LRT in the next 10 to all parts.
Well, the three legs (S, W, N).

I'm talking about the NW, AP and MW Legs.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 7:52 PM
Community Guy

we need to "suck it up" and acquire debt for the city and push WLRT within 7yrs IMO...that would be the KEY line not done yet and have a major major impact on how transportation works in this city.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 7:54 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I will agree on that.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 10:26 PM

I agree. There is nothing wrong with taking on debt for major infrastructure projects, provided you don't over leverage yourself. I know it has become difficult politically but debt financing is essential to any business venture so why should the city have to avoid it. Hell, no one would ever own a house without it.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 2:30 AM

This may sound stupid but don't you think the federal governments should just give capital transit project grants rather than loans? I dunno, I mean if we are comparing spending priorities of LRT projects vs. say corporate tax cuts, to me LRT funds would be a no-brainer..

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton