HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

View Poll Results: 1-10
1 3 3.85%
2 3 3.85%
3 1 1.28%
4 5 6.41%
5 9 11.54%
6 14 17.95%
7 20 25.64%
8 18 23.08%
9 5 6.41%
10 0 0%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 11:55 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

1) Space overhead

2) mmm... green. We could put trees there too, if the developer was so inclined. There's a few fun things that can be done in that space. IT could also provide family space if it became vogue to raise families in high rises. It keeps options open.

3) It's no main street, what's going to happen? The dog is going to poop on the sidewalk, anyways.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 11:56 PM
Hicksville Perspective

With the red brick ... 5 ... with sandstone instead ... 7 ... and if the Oliver were 2x as tall I'd amend my ratings to 7 and 9 respectively ... the tower looks too 'squat' for the 'heavy' brick podium ...

As a former Edmontonian I should know these things ... but, to you Edmonton forumers is the use of red or brown brick and/or rough concrete elements in the facade of Edmonton residential towers a requirement for the downtown, east Jasper and Oliver areas? The reason I ask is the vast majority of existing and many of the planned towers for the noted areas seem to have at least some red or brown brick and/or rough concrete elements ...

Old Posted Jun 12, 2007, 11:59 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunCoaster View Post
With the red brick ... 5 ... with sandstone instead ... 7
As a former Edmontonian I should know these things ... but, to you Edmonton forumers is the use of red brick and/or rough concrete in Edmonton residential towers a requirement per the planning and development department for the downtown and Oliver areas? The reason I ask is the vast majority of existing and many of the planned towers for the noted areas seem to have at least some red or brown brick and/or rough concrete elements ...
Somehow I am thinking the developers are making up for the lack of brick development that took place during the turn of the century and are happy to oblige.

Rough concrete is used if only to make things non-slippery. That's the only excuse I can come up with for that.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 2:46 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkyman View Post
Name one.
most buildings have 3-7 m setbacks kids.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 3:08 AM

I am perfectly aware that for the last fifty years buildings have been built with these inane setbacks. That does not mean that they are of any civic benefit.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 3:44 AM
DRINK

Not a fan of the setback at all. Pave it with bricks and turn it into a patio for a restaurant and it's a different story.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 4:03 AM
Majestic

I gave it a 7. It was actually a 6.5 but you are getting the benefit of rounding upwards.

The Good:
- fair amount of glass, for Edmonton at least
- decent colours
- okay massing. Seems to me they should have continued floors 3-6 up most of the rest of the tower though. And it seems stubby too, give that building another 5 floors and it might seem more slender

The Bad:
- podium is teh suck. Do away with the brick and replace it with whatever is on the rest of the tower, plz
- lack of townhouses and unecessarily large front yard with stupid, unecessary lawn. boo
- randomly placed tacked-on element? That thing looks like it came right out of the Abugov Kaspar "how to design a condo building" manual.
- balconies also seem tacked-on

Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton