HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 12:28 AM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKAN104 View Post
Having CART cars race along the High Level Bridge at 320 km/h could turn it into the "bridge of death". No room for error if you're trying to pass. Yikes!

my question is would they turn on the waterfall during the race?

Pinky: I think so, Brain, but this time, you put the trousers on the chimp.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 12:47 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Well, the track in Monaco is relatively bumpy and very narrow, so why not hold it in the streets of Edmonton instead at the airport? Just make the pit and straight at a reasonable location, like a boulevard, and you're good to go.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 5:56 AM
Big Dog

Now that you mention it, where the heck would you put the pit in such a street race? Hmmm... cool idea, but there may be some holes in our plan.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 6:45 AM
Community Guy

pits only take 2 lanes of roadway, so no prob there....jasper ave.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 5:19 PM
why try anymore

Location: Where we can lose things, and replace them with nothing...or a wananbe yaletown
While the scenery is nice in many routes, and I understand the physics of the concerns on hills and potholes, there is NO way that CHAMP is going to leave the Muni.

Again, it is purely a logistics issue.

Logistics in track maintenance - what's better than a runway for strength, smoothness, and the ability to segregate this work from city roads.

Logistics in containment - crowd is in one area, cars are in one area, crowd can see the whole race.

Logistics in road capacity - contained track = no shutting down of roads. All of these road course plans shut down major portions of arteries. Yes, can be done, but if you have a phenominal anc self contained site with still pretty good views of the skyline, why in the sweet name of whatever you think is holy would you try to negotiate otherwise?

If anything, redevelop YXD into a grand prix circut. Leave the roads alone.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2007, 8:04 PM
Big Dog

hmmm... good point. Convert the muni into a permanent track. That's a much better idea.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2007, 12:48 AM
Community Guy

no need to make a permanent facility really....maybe some permanent stands on the north section, but it works well as is.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
Okay, I'm going to start something. Im not a big race fan...
No more needs to be said. :]

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot™ View Post
No more needs to be said. :]
What the hell was that for Fonzy?
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 6:07 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
no need to make a permanent facility really....maybe some permanent stands on the north section, but it works well as is.
It's a good excuse to get rid of the airport though.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 6:59 PM

Any predictions for attendance this year? I for one did not renew...I'm waiting for ChampCar and Indy to merge before I slap down a few hundred on a ticket again...

With price increases again, and attendance down last year, I suspect it may go down again...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 7:52 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
It's a good excuse to get rid of the airport though.
why the rush?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2007, 7:54 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
Any predictions for attendance this year? I for one did not renew...I'm waiting for ChampCar and Indy to merge before I slap down a few hundred on a ticket again...

With price increases again, and attendance down last year, I suspect it may go down again...
you almost always have highest 1st yr with something like this....id bet about the same as last year or so...which still is oh significantly more than Van's or MTL's.....and ahead of TDOT.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post

Man, was it ever HOT last year. I spent waaaay too much time at the beer tents on the second day. The inaugural year is always going to be bigger than the second year and with the sweltering heat last year, I think that turned off some of the walk-ups from showing.

Terrific improvements were made to the "midway".

I've had the same seats (row 1 in the silvers) for the last 2 years and am thinking of upgrading for '07. My guess: if the weather cooperates (no rain and not as hot as last year) attendance will be somewhere in the middle of 2005 and 2006.

The IRL and Champ split does absolutely nothing for attendance. Everyone is waiting for the merge, so get it done!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot™ View Post
Man, was it ever HOT last year. I spent waaaay too much time at the beer tents on the second day. The inaugural year is always going to be bigger than the second year and with the sweltering heat last year, I think that turned off some of the walk-ups from showing.

Terrific improvements were made to the "midway".

I've had the same seats (row 1 in the silvers) for the last 2 years and am thinking of upgrading for '07. My guess: if the weather cooperates (no rain and not as hot as last year) attendance will be somewhere in the middle of 2005 and 2006.

The IRL and Champ split does absolutely nothing for attendance. Everyone is waiting for the merge, so get it done!

couldn't agree more.... i'm looking forward to going for my first time this summer.... i've had to miss the past 2 because of summer jobs up north. Should be fun!!!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 2:22 PM
Vorsprung Durch Technik

You guys in Edmonton are getting a better show each and every year, compared to Montreal who started in they heydays of CART with all the big teams, lost most of them, the bankruptcy years...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 2:50 PM

do they have a timeline as far as getting back together?

I know they had talks.... few and far between.....

I think it would do wonders for Edmonton's exposure if our race was shown to more people everywhere (assuming if they merge that Edmonton is kept)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 5:52 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by West_aust View Post
You guys in Edmonton are getting a better show each and every year, compared to Montreal who started in they heydays of CART with all the big teams, lost most of them, the bankruptcy years...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia.org
The Grand Prix of Montreal...was first held...from 1984 through 1986. The Champ Car series revived the race in 2002, and it has been held in late August each year until 2006 at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, a permanent road course most famous as the home of the Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix. In 2007, the event will move to the permanent road course at Mont-Tremblant.
Though the first races in MTL were in the 1980's, they only got the race back 3 years before Edmonton stole (err replaced) Vancouver's race. It wasn't until 2003 that CART went bankrupt and became ChampCar. so Montreal only had one season with "all the big teams" and I doubt that made any difference. Montreal gets Canada's F1 race, if you ask me, thats a better show then CART or its current incarnation ChampCar could ever put on.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distill3d View Post
Montreal gets Canada's F1 race, if you ask me, thats a better show then CART or its current incarnation ChampCar could ever put on.
It is a bigger event - but I wouldn't say a better "show"...this coming from likely one of the most die-hard F1 fans (go Senna!), and watching the competition dwindle over the Shumacher years (I mean that without taking away from Schuey - I've done a couple paintings of him as well).

There's no doubt the drivers aren't up to par with F1, but the track in Edm is definitely one of the best for a spectator, and the racing is a lot closer - which to many, is more exciting.

Some significant changes to this season makes me want to return this year (I'm still thinking about it) - first is the new Panoz chassis cars...it was well known that an F1 car would beat a ChampCar around Villeneuve by several seconds - but the design of the Champcar had to accomodate oval racing as well...which is also gone (and possibly another step towards a merger?). The new car's underbody should help close the gap between an F1's downforce and ChampCar.

Also, Champcar will return to Europe this year...hopefully they get support there - I'm thinking it may be a long shot.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2007, 9:40 PM
Glorfied Overrated Guest

^ I don't deny that ChampCar puts on an amazing show. I was a spectator of the Vancouver race for many years. It was the one race a year I absolutely loved. I've also seen the race in Edmonton both years, with intent of seeing it again this year.

however, that said, the atmosphere of the F1 racing in Europe (where i've had the experience of seeing a few races) is almost like watching the Flames play the Oilers. its also a more established series.

Agreed that the Schumacher years in F1 were hell for competition. The new crop (Alonso, Button, Raikkonen) is hopefully going to bring back to the sport.

ChampCar in Europe...yeah...if it works...i'm very skeptical of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton