HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

View Poll Results: Which are you excited about and why?
Century Park 20 51.28%
142 Street 1 2.56%
Strathern 4 10.26%
Aurora 10 25.64%
Centre in the Park 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 5:44 PM
Community Guy

Best Urban Infill Project - Edmonton

Which one do you like and why?

Century Park - www.centurypark.ca

142 Street - www.visionforthecorner.com

Strathern - ?

Aurora - no page yet

Centre in the Park - www.cdlhomes.com

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 5:46 PM
Community Guy

I am most excited about Aurora simply due to what it will do to the width (N/S) of the skyline and how much impact it will have overall.

Century park is going to be the highest quality infill IMO...

Strathern is going to be very very nice...id consider moving there.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 5:48 PM

I like Century Park, it has the best density, and seems to be the most thought out.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 5:49 PM
Community Guy

^agreed...thank you james cheng, arndt tkalcic arch here in Edmonton, and westbank...oh procura too:>

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 5:52 PM
Change is good

I voted for Century Park...
but this children song comes to my mind
"One of these 5 aint like the others ones...."

Guess which one of these really doesn't belong in this list...

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 5:54 PM
Community Guy

^centre in the park...i added it because although not in Edmonton city, it is a great project for a "burb" and has many things we could learn for more urban projects.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 6:11 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^centre in the park...i added it because although not in Edmonton city, it is a great project for a "burb" and has many things we could learn for more urban projects.
You didn't add Fort Road? I know we could add some more if we really thought about it

Jasper East?

I guess those are just concepts at this point.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 6:13 PM
Community Guy

Fort road has no real plan yet...proposed ideas, but thats it. But that will be an exciting development to watch.

East Jasper is multiple singular developments, not a large singular entity.

Im very excited to see these happening though...imagine in 5-7 years from now when there are literally 5 more mini skylines scattered around the city.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 6:37 PM
arf

I'm most excited about Century Park. Mainly because it seems like Edmonton's first real ground up TOD and is part of the reason the LRT is being pushed south. It and Aurora are going to have huge impacts on city form and planning depending on how they turn out.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 7:41 PM
Derp

Aurora - For the number of people it will bring to a desolate part of the core, and like Cold said, for the skyline impact it will certainly have

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 8:08 PM

I think the best would have to be CP - only from the standpoint of density and TOD - To be honest, i dont see it offering a whole lot of street orientation, walkability and connectivity.
The one I have my eye on is Strathern. i hope this does well. The location is great and it will offer great views to the city. IMO I would love to see the north part of strathern n'hood all high density. To have single family homes on wide lots with exclusive views (best views) of the downtown and rivervalley just isnt right.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
I think the best would have to be CP - only from the standpoint of density and TOD - To be honest, i dont see it offering a whole lot of street orientation, walkability and connectivity.
The one I have my eye on is Strathern. i hope this does well. The location is great and it will offer great views to the city. IMO I would love to see the north part of strathern n'hood all high density. To have single family homes on wide lots with exclusive views (best views) of the downtown and rivervalley just isnt right.
Never going to happen, the only place in strathearn where its going to be high density is this proposal. There is no other zoning or parcel suitable.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 12:26 AM

^of course it wount. I didnt intent to suggest that to be a realistic option. Just something I would like to see
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 3:07 AM

Quote:
^of course it wount. I didnt intent to suggest that to be a realistic option. Just something I would like to see
The south side of the river isn't Downtown, I don't want to see it all high density. I like the mix that is developing.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 3:12 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
The south side of the river isn't Downtown, I don't want to see it all high density. I like the mix that is developing.
agreed...most ARP's should have a higher density core with single fam around it.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
What?! the south side of the river isnt downtown?
but really - I have a pet peave with some great central areas in the city where high density would work well and instead it is suburban style single family - i refer to cloverdale, rossdale, the area of Boyle Street that is SF and yes, Strathern Drive. Driving east on the james macdonald, it would be good to see something like sask drive instead of huge SF.. not saying its right or wrong, but its only my opinion

Last edited by Jasper and one o nin; May 17, 2007 at 6:10 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 5:43 AM

edit - my bad

Last edited by Jasper and one o nin; May 17, 2007 at 6:05 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 7:02 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
What, have you looked at the plan for Century Park. I challenge you to prove to me that the buildings and internal roadway network does not achieve good street orientation, walkability and connectivity.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 2:07 AM
Urban Advocate

I think some people are voting from Center in the Park thining it's Century Park. Similar name, and who would really vote for the Center in the Park? Over Strathern?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 2:24 AM
Urban Advocate

I love the idea of TOD's, and CP champions this to a T. We'll see how the integrated walkability and retail does though. But, I love what Aurora might do for DT. Strathern is a pretty solid proposal too...

The jury is still out IMO. You can cross Center in the Park and the 142nd project off the list (I think at least)... but for a champ.... CP would be ideal if DT and it captured some of the atmosphere that the layout Strathern has.

I can't vote for this one. I'm spilt.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton